The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

What would an authority figure add? Seriously, what would it add? We've been stuck with lazy authority figure storylines for decades, because one really worked. It's been a great idea to eliminate it. 

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Chris B said:

What would an authority figure add? Seriously, what would it add? We've been stuck with lazy authority figure storylines for decades, because one really worked. It's been a great idea to eliminate it. 

An overbearing authority shadow taking over the entire show is overdone, I'm sure we'd all agree on that.

Its not unreasonable to have an authority figure who's there to stand in when needs be though. Jack Tunney might not be on TV for a month or two at a time, but was always there lurking in the background.

• Paid Members

They've got and had that with Tony Khan, who they haven't pretended doesn't exist. There's been a segment with Moxley complaining to him behind closed doors, and Nyla Rose spoke to him briefly after she won the title.

They used Tunney for announcing what had been decided by the championship committee (or whatever they called it) - they can communicate that other ways these days, like social media. That's what they're doing.

Other than that, what do they gain from making someone like Tony Khan (or a Tony Khan stand-in) more of a figure? That feels exactly like something they shouldn't be doing.

• Paid Members

I’ve no idea how long Jericho’s contract was originally for, but I suspect they’ll be offering him EVP status when they renegotiate. Has anyone ever proved their worth more than Chris Jericho these past twelve months? Booking, promos, character work, selling merch, big-time matches, vignettes, comedy, giving people the rub, even commentary. Whatever he’s getting paid it’s not enough. Kenny Omega must feel so embarrassed having more stock in that company than Jericho.

I can’t fathom any fan who’s watched pro-wrestling for any length of time arguing for more authority figures. If they come up with something clever and new, maybe, I guess. But it’d have to be something pretty fucking special for it to not feel like yet another rehash of the same tired, old angle. 

Edited by Supremo

You only need an authority figure if you plan on frequently hotshotting matches. If your in-ring stories and outside angles make sense, there's no need for a character on-screen calling the shots because the matches happen logically.

One of the fun things about the lockdown shows in AEW is watching them weave these mini-narratives with a reduced roster that makes sense. Kip Sabian gets grumpy after Penelope Ford loses a match and interrupts a Colt Cabana promo - of course they're having a match in two weeks now. Little Marko Stunt waves at Brodie Lee - of course they'll meet in the ring down the line.

The lack of kayfabe corporate/procedural stuff being lazily used to promote matches is another strength of AEW's right now. Going back a little bit, the last contract signing I remember was Spears vs Cody, where a whole edition of Road To was spend hyping up the two putting pen to paper, only for Cody to stroll in, sign, and stroll out without looking at Spears once.

AEW are doing too well to fall into this trope.

2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Don't really understand this.

The audience also knows that the wrestlers don't really hate each other and the moves aren't connecting. 

You're not wrong, but you're overthinking it - Cody's just doing the standard "tell dem what dey want to hear" thing (he's ticked off both Authority Figures Bad and Wrestling Fans Have a High IQ here, pretty good promoting for a single tweet). AEW have already got an authority figure on Dynamite - Jacksonville Dixie. But his appearances are very sporadic, they thankfully haven't felt the need to revolve every storyline around him the way that WWE often do with their GMs/Commissioners etc.

I'd be totally down with a championship committee being created consisting of all the old timers on the roster.

Once or twice a year have them all sit around a big table and bicker over an ongoing controversy before voting on a final decision. Inevitably ending a a punch up.

I agree with him that we dont need an authority figure really. But the reason he gives is proposterous considering all the shite they have on their show.

Why didnt he just say whathe really means which is "we dont do it because we know people whinge about wwe doing it"?

3 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

You're not wrong, but you're overthinking it - Cody's just doing the standard "tell dem what dey want to hear" thing (he's ticked off both Authority Figures Bad and Wrestling Fans Have a High IQ here, pretty good promoting for a single tweet).

Yeah, the absolute nerve of him giving fans what they want. Why would anyone do that when they can have an on screen authority figure telling the fans they are idiots?

I'd have made the final of TNT Championship Archer vs Allen instead of Cody.

They've possibly booked themselves into a corner with this final, Archer is a new monster and too early for a loss, Cody can't go for world title but then loses a new Title Tourney so could look bad from that.

Darby would be perfect to take the beatings Archer gives but wouldn't look weak in defeat, or Allen wins with Help from Cody building story between him and Archer and keeping him strong in defeat.

Seems too early and "neat" in the feud for a match, stretch these things where you can.

12 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

They've possibly booked themselves into a corner with this final, Archer is a new monster and too early for a loss, Cody can't go for world title but then loses a new Title Tourney so could look bad from that.

They can still go a few ways with this. 

Have Archer get disqualified for too much brutality. Jake can cut a great promo about how it was never about the belt etc. 

Have Dustin throw the towel in leading to a heel Dustin feuding with Cody. Possibly on a road to retirement. 

Have Cody cheat to win and allow the cracks to start to show about how much titles mean to him. 

• Paid Members

Cody's bulletproof at the moment. He can take this loss. He's been talking about needing this, which works for me from a character point of view. He's strong and in the mix, but suffers setbacks - it could make him winning later mean all the more. They also haven't been doing run-ins, etc, TOO much, so they might just get away with that too. 

The thing is, they were doing similar with Omega, but they were being too subtle with it. He wasn't talking about it, building it up, making clear how much the losses bother him in the way he should have done in order for it to land - it was more like something you had to search for. I think it was the right idea, but the wrong execution.

I sort of wish Dustin/Archer had been the final though. Loved the ending to the last match, and it'd be such a great way to crown a heel champion.