The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Add Joey Janela to the ‘wrestlers who look like they stink’ list. Not seen much of him, but Christ the absolute state in the opening match. Don’t know whether this is his gimmick or not, but he was constantly pulling his drawers up throughout the match.

I must say that the venue looked brilliant, the best I’ve seen throughout the ‘no crowd’ shows. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, if you didn’t know better you’d think that Main event was recorded earlier in the year, before the pandemic. Out of nowhere there appeared to be at least a hundred fans!

Genuinely one of Kenny Omega’s best matches in AEW though. Probably second behind the Revolution Tag Title match. Didn’t he wrestle for DDT for years? Hopefully they capitalise on that during these empty arena shows and he does more daft silliness. Far more preferable to him trying to do marathons with jobbers. I want someone to do a backyard match on the grass of that football stadium. Jumpers for ring posts. 

52 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Yeah, if you didn’t know better you’d think that Main event was recorded earlier in the year, before the pandemic. Out of nowhere there appeared to be at least a hundred fans!

Genuinely one of Kenny Omega’s best matches in AEW though. Probably second behind the Revolution Tag Title match. Didn’t he wrestle for DDT for years? Hopefully they capitalise on that during these empty arena shows and he does more daft silliness. Far more preferable to him trying to do marathons with jobbers. I want someone to do a backyard match on the grass of that football stadium. Jumpers for ring posts. 

Nah the last thing Kenny Omega needs to be doing is daft silliness.
He's been a dud since he came to AEW and has lost any superstar aura he had about him in my opinion.
I know the AEW faithful treat him like a God but he has really come across as just another body and anything but the megastar we had been hearing about for years.
I don't know if that's New Japan's promoting of him and hiding his weaknesses or if we all just bought the hype and it was never there in the first place but Omega needs to ditch the goofy silly stuff [if he can] and try and regain some of that sheen he had in New Japan if he wants to translate to mainstream America.

In fairness maybe he doesn't want to. Maybe he's happy doing what he's doing and earning big money. If so, more power to him.
However, and bare in mind I am someone who had limited exposure to him before AEW, he has yet to do anything to come across like a superstar in my opinion.

• Paid Members

Sammy Guevara being run over by a golf cart is an all time classic moment. Absolutely great main event. 

Also love the mini story with Jericho slagging off Sugar Dunkerton on commentary for weeks so first chance he gets he takes a shot at Jericho and now next week they'll have a match! Just really good stuff that is very small but adds that extra depth and flavour. Next week Jericho will probably squash him and that's fine. Or they could have a member of the Elite distract him and he suffers a humiliating fluke loss.

AEW is so much fun.

Edited by LaGoosh

In one of the more bizarre AEW related stories, former WCW announcer Chris Cruise apparently reported them to the Maryland State Athletic Commision for the death match between Moxley and Omega last year. Subsequently the MSAC have fined AEW $10,000.

Cruise posted on Facebook:

Look, the easy thing to say in response to the $10,000 fine levied on AEW by the MSAC is that it is pocket change for a billionaire. I get that. But it ain't nuthin. And it is public, or will be on May 20th when the Commission meets and then posts the consent order on its website, and distributes it to all other commissions throughout the country. And keep in mind that the next violation will result in a revocation of their license in Maryland and possible show stoppage. In the middle of a match. The Commission is on notice now that others are watching its actions. This puts AEW on notice, as well, and it embarrasses the company. By this time tomorrow the story will have spread far and wide. And it will appear in mainstream publications. This is a black eye for AEW and for the business.

Unsurprisingly, he is now receiving death threats because social media.

23 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

AEW Unrestricted podcast this week us really interesting. Tony Khan breaks down how the last months of shows happened and the logistics. Very informative and he comes off very well. Crazy that a guy with limited wrestling and production experience wrote weeks of decent, logical wrestling TV in one evening on his own last minute with a severely limited crew at his disposal. 

For me this proves that any of us wrestling obsessives would make great bookers! Just need the opportunity...

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

In one of the more bizarre AEW related stories, former WCW announcer Chris Cruise apparently reported them to the Maryland State Athletic Commision for the death match between Moxley and Omega last year. Subsequently the MSAC have fined AEW $10,000.

Cruise posted on Facebook:

Look, the easy thing to say in response to the $10,000 fine levied on AEW by the MSAC is that it is pocket change for a billionaire. I get that. But it ain't nuthin. And it is public, or will be on May 20th when the Commission meets and then posts the consent order on its website, and distributes it to all other commissions throughout the country. And keep in mind that the next violation will result in a revocation of their license in Maryland and possible show stoppage. In the middle of a match. The Commission is on notice now that others are watching its actions. This puts AEW on notice, as well, and it embarrasses the company. By this time tomorrow the story will have spread far and wide. And it will appear in mainstream publications. This is a black eye for AEW and for the business.

Unsurprisingly, he is now receiving death threats because social media.

Why did he do that?

9 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

So many people in that backstage. Jesus, that isnt a good look.

Weren't AEW testing everybody ahead of the show the same way UFC have been for their upcoming show this weekend? sure I read AEW/UFC were staying in the same hotel this week as well although not sure if that was everyone on the AEW side

Imagine thinking a getting a fine is a huge embarrassment or a black eye for AEW. Hardly going to send shockwaves through the industry.
Thought the show was decent, not bothered about Moxely and Lee but I’d rather they didn’t piss away too much on the mostly empty arena shows. Cody and Archer is the proper title match anyway. Interesting to see what else they can put together, due to limited TV time I assume most the build will be video packages which is what gets me most excited for a match