The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Lance Archer is my new favourite thing. Battering that one guy even before he'd entered, muttering and hissing evil shit directly into the camera, laughing when he gets punched in the face, then Old School into a fucking SPRINGBOARD MOONSAULT, and finally smashing Dustin's battered head into the mat and kneeling on his throat for the pin. That shot of him towered above the Nightmare Family was all too short. He also dropped a really psychopathic  short sweet promo on Instagram too, so the guy can talk for himself when Jake's not chilling your bones. Love him.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I thought they’d taped everything upto Double or Nothing?

With them going live again next week, have they just sacked off the tapes shows? Or was it mis-reported that they taped that far

They did but apparently they're not going to use it.

From the Wrestling-Online Newsletter:

AEW RETURNS LIVE NEXT WEEK

- All Elite Wrestling is scrapping the footage they have filmed up to Double or Nothing and opting to return to new material with next week's Dynamite live from Daily's Place in Jacksonville. The Florida Governor order - pushed by WWE - to deem pro wrestling and contact sport essential allows AEW to also operate in the state behind closed doors. For the past month or so, AEW had shows from QT Marshall's gym in Georgia with many of the top stars missing. But next week, all gloves are off as the show returns live. It looks like the following week's show will be taped and the Double or Nothing go-home episode being live again. And with all the talent returning to work, they already announced a PPV-caliber main event for Wednesday with Kenny Omega teaming with Matt Hardy taking on Chris Jericho and Sammy Guevara. This will be Hardy's first in-ring wrestling match for the promotion.

• Paid Members

The Manitoba Melee restored my faith in pro wrestl.. oh, here's Jimmy Havoc.

• Awards Moderator
On 5/1/2020 at 9:13 AM, Love-Wilcox said:

Moxely telling us to call our grandmothers was amazing, promo of the year!

I’ll be calling my grandmother tomorrow but I probably won’t tell her that Jon Moxley said I should.

I loved loved loved the Manitoba Melee. Brilliant fun.

• Paid Members

I thought Dynamite was tremendous fun. Archer was fantastic. My only real issue was the finish of the Cody Allin match. That was awful and hurt the coffin drop imo.

But what really stood out is just how much they are nailing the pre tape promos. Moxley = brilliant, Bubbly Bunch = amusing as hell, Britt Baker = brilliant and amusing as hell.

Letting the talent do what they want creatively really makes all the difference in this environment.

I'd really like Frankie and Daniel's to turn on Sky because I just don't see how he can reach the next level as a top face with them. 

Where's Hangman? We need a promo at least.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, DEF said:

My only real issue was the finish of the Cody Allin match. That was awful and hurt the coffin drop imo.

Yeah, I thought so too. It was mentioned (maybe on Dark) a few weeks back that nobody has yet to kick out of the Coffin Drop, so I thought it was going to be protected a little longer. Cody being able to take it and immediately reverse it into a winning pinfall made it look ineffective. 

It's weird because Triple H and Jeff Hardy did pretty much the same finish during their WWE title feud - Jeff hit the Swanton, got lazy with the cover and Trips leveraged him for the win. I thought it worked brlliantly as Triple H outsmarting the reckless Hardy and it was probably what they were going for here, but I didn't think they pulled it off anywhere near as well.

10 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Yeah, I thought so too. It was mentioned (maybe on Dark) a few weeks back that nobody has yet to kick out of the Coffin Drop, so I thought it was going to be protected a little longer. Cody being able to take it and immediately reverse it into a winning pinfall made it look ineffective.

It's one of those things which I think they thought would have looked better than it did, I can buy Cody readying himself to catch Darby and counter the move into a pin but it looked sloppy and weak.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DEF said:

I'd really like Frankie and Daniel's to turn on Sky because I just don't see how he can reach the next level as a top face with them. 

SCU is a pretty terrible act anyway. No idea what that gimmick is supposed to be and Daniel's prancing about in his stupid outfit looking a complete berk is never really going to get over as a babyface act. I remember Daniel's and Kazarian as a good heel tag team in TNA years ago so they should probably go back to that.

Scorpio Sky definitely needs to be rid of them sooner rather than later. 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Also, might just be me being weird but Sky should lose the tights and go with shorts.

Agreed. That popped into my head when they were doing that promo on Dynamite this week. He's got a great look but the tights for some reason say midcarder. It's but I don't feel like that about everyone. A.J. for instance the tights suit him but it may be Sky is still looking for his main event identity.

• Paid Members

Havent watched this (or any wrestling) since the whole "no crowds" thing, so flick this on last night and Chris Jericho is a really good commentator. Gets people over, still plays to his gimmick, does those voices overs into the next segment, like Lawler and JR used to do back in the day (instead of just having the lead announcer do it.) Schiavone and Jericho would make a brilliant partnership. Shame that masked cunt and Jim Ross are back soon.

• Paid Members

Again to echo you guys, Jericho is a blast and a riot on commentary but he also gets guys over. Spending Archer's match talking about how he should recruit him into the Inner Circle and they'd be unstoppable is just simple and really great stuff to put an act over. If Jericho ever wants to be, he could be the next truly great colour commentator. Hopefully he will when he decides to hang up the boots.

I can see Jericho finishing his career up in AEW on colour commentary, booking advisor and talent scout. He couldn’t be a backstage producer because he loves the spotlight. I imagine he would love to get the praise for a product being good as part of a small booking team, if someone said he was the best booker since Heyman he would probably jizz his pants. The commentary would give him constant focus. He would also love to be able to say he found the next big thing at a small Indy show. 
He is an absolute asset to AEW, has been since day one but the stripped back lockdown shows have really emphasised that. Cant see him going back to WWE to be another cog in a machine, this guy wants to be the engine.

If TNA had gotten Jericho back in the day instead of Hogan then I think wrestling would have been very different