The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Did they seriously show this on TV?

Apart from being a bit shoddily edited (Jericho looking like a stop animation character from behind), there's nothing wrong with this at all. I just showed this to my 7yo and she thought it was really cool.

The Undertaker has existed for 30 odd years you know.

6 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

TNA at it's peak drew nearly as many viewers as Raw does now.

I dare say if they didnt fuck up the Spike deal they would have still been #2, maybe even grown. I'm sure they outdrew the UFC shows on Spike.

The ratings never seemed to translate to people buying tickets, though.

Edited by HeavyT

17 minutes ago, HeavyT said:

I dare say if they didnt fuck up the Spike deal they would have still been #2, maybe even grown. I'm sure they outdrew the UFC shows on Spike.

The ratings never seemed to translate to people buying tickets, though.

Or pay per view buys. 

But yeah, the fact that TNA at its height still failed to sell out Bound For Glorys in 2,500 seat civic centres in major urban areas is somewhat mystifying. They were still fairly well known to most wrestling fans at a time the business was quite healthy, if we're to broadly go with 2006-2010 as their peak years. 

The fact that AEW started out of the gate as a hot ticket in decent arenas will tell you how much the smart/internet/pro wrestling as nerd universe audience has become the dominant cash cow in the last ten years. And how well they marketed themselves, obviously. 

3 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Did they seriously show this on TV?

My biggest issue with this is that it's completely impossible to do with a crowd, and I don't think AEW should be doing things in the empty arena that wouldn't be possible in a full/half full arena. 

My other issue is the shoddy editing. It looks shit. I'm sure some kids think it's great, but is my intelligence being insulted? Am I supposed to believe Hardy is teleporting? With my educated adult brain?

This is the first time AEW has out and out disappointed me. 

1 hour ago, iPumaPants said:

My biggest issue with this is that it's completely impossible to do with a crowd, and I don't think AEW should be doing things in the empty arena that wouldn't be possible in a full/half full arena. 

My other issue is the shoddy editing. It looks shit. I'm sure some kids think it's great, but is my intelligence being insulted? Am I supposed to believe Hardy is teleporting? With my educated adult brain?

This is the first time AEW has out and out disappointed me. 

Surely it was intentionally bad? For comedic purposes? Has to be.

4 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

TNA at it's peak drew nearly as many viewers as Raw does now.

And never managed to turn that into money with merch or ticket sales. Part of TNA stink is being able to take something with buckets of potential and just pour it down the drain. AEW are great at getting money out of whatever they can.

2 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

And never managed to turn that into money with merch or ticket sales. Part of TNA stink is being able to take something with buckets of potential and just pour it down the drain. AEW are great at getting money out of whatever they can.

They're selling bucket loads of merch, aren't they? I can see those figures doing pretty well too, how many years was it before TNA had any.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Or pay per view buys. 

But yeah, the fact that TNA at its height still failed to sell out Bound For Glorys in 2,500 seat civic centres in major urban areas is somewhat mystifying. They were still fairly well known to most wrestling fans at a time the business was quite healthy, if we're to broadly go with 2006-2010 as their peak years. 

The fact that AEW started out of the gate as a hot ticket in decent arenas will tell you how much the smart/internet/pro wrestling as nerd universe audience has become the dominant cash cow in the last ten years. And how well they marketed themselves, obviously. 

I agree.

It was always said that advertising and promotion was a major, major flaw in TNA. Even when it had Hogan etc and was paying top dollar for talent, the size of the organisation itself was miniscule with whomever they had on the payroll wearing so many hats (look at Borash for example).

It still annoys me how decision makers in that company managed to clutch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Yeah they genuinely seemed to be taking off at one point with the video game etc... I guess it was bigger here in the UK than the US. Some of the young lads at my work love Sting and Angke and only saw them in TNA... its fucking weird.

Another wrestling game would be nice hopefully AEW dips into that.

Hell, even an NWA game full of legends would be sweet.

10 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

But the ticket sales dying a death after the first few weeks isn’t a good sign of sustainability. Like the original TNA, to some extent that doesn’t matter because rich parents, but it’s not growing in popularity the way a startup should. Although the money in wrestling now (besides Saudi and TV rights deals for WWE) is just fleecing the hardcore fanbase for every last dollar anyway, and they’ve got the brand loyalty to get that part sorted. Even if AEW draws 800 fans, each one will probably buy four t-shirts on the night and already bought seven online.

When dey do turn on the company though, I can see bringing in Matt Hardy and Luke Harper being one of the things talked about as a negative. Using knackered old midcard boys from WWE in the top spots isn’t a great way of standing out as an alternative. Harper as leader of the Voodoo Kin Mafia might turn out alright, but the Matt Hardy gimmick has shat the bed on arrival and runs the risk of dragging the Elite down with it. By rights, Hardy will be shunted down to his own Troma universe away from the main event after this, but the lads have made such a point of letting wrestlers do what they want and using them higher up the card than WWE did, can/will they even tackle it with him?