The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

I cant believe AEW revealed Hardy like that given the circumstances, it felt flatter than a pancake. Imagine if they'd held that off and did the drone thing in front of their fans, it would have been insane. Then have it off the air with everybody in the building do the delete thing, that would have been a moment Instead it was naff as fuck.

I do commend the attempt of these companies attempting to carry on, but you can't work angles that without an audience, it just doesnt work. Wrestling without an audience doesnt work.

• Paid Members

Some cool stuff playing with the concept but another weird show, generally.

They needed to do the six man tag as advertised so give them a pass there but running matches for no one isn't working so having a load of them wasn't great.

I thought they could have knocked it out of the park with their ability to pre-tape vignettes but there weren't enough of them.

Character work was good, as usual. Interactions with the people sitting in "the crowd" was good. Setting up a parking lot brawl and a lumberjack match was clever.

Agree on the Matt Hardy debut too. Just felt flat.

I stayed up and watched it live, and felt they did the best they could. Brodie’s “you are just another out of touch old man who doesn’t believe in me” was brilliant. Hopefully this week gives them time to record more away from the arena, I expected some Darby Allin, more Matt Hardy teasers. Having some crowd noise was better than nothing, but if these keep going on I can’t see me keeping watching shows in full

It was a better show than the WWE ones, but mostly because they decided to put more into it, while WWE have played theirs down a bit.

It was almost a preview into how entertaining and depressing Wrestlemania will be.

A fun show but you just know how much better it would be in front of fans.

I'm still okay with these shows happening and I am still enjoying them but you can't help thinking what if...

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

I cant believe AEW revealed Hardy like that given the circumstances, it felt flatter than a pancake. Imagine if they'd held that off and did the drone thing in front of their fans, it would have been insane. Then have it off the air with everybody in the building do the delete thing, that would have been a moment Instead it was naff as fuck.

What choice to they have, though? They've hired the guy and are presumably paying him...the other option would be having him sit around earning a wage for nothing, as they wait for a time that fans are able to watch matches again.

Unfortunately, we just don't know when that will be, and it doesn't seem like it's happening any time soon. 

As far as the show goes, I really enjoyed it. The debuts didn't fall flat for me although Hardy showing up in front of fans in that manner would definitely have been a moment. 

The only complaint I have is more a concern...Jim Ross has underlying health issues, he was right beside the other announcers and was quite happily touching Tazz and acting normal. It seems a bit risky to let that happen, God knows how his body would react to covid-19. 

I'll end on a positive note though, and I don't think I need to expand upon two simple words. They speak for themselves: Sammy Guevara.

• Paid Members

The difference between Dynamite and WWW this week was night and day. Having the hard cam set up to face the entrance, framing it so you could just pretty much see the ring, having some noise from the “audience” at ringside. Jericho on commentary. It just felt like Major league vs Minor league. Sure of course these shows are suffering without a crowd, but this was a much more entertaining 2 hours then any other wrestling this week

• Paid Members

It's been pointed out online that all it takes is one diagnosis for this entire thing to fall apart somewhat.

There's no need for live versions of these anymore. Pretape as far as you can and do as few tapings as possible. Again, it'd be nice if AEW did healthcare if they're going to do this.

• Paid Members

I haven’t seen all of it but from what I did see they did a far better job than WWE. Them both doing shows without crowds further exposed the difference between the products. WWE felt shallower and more one-note than ever, like there was nothing behind the razzmatazz, whereas even in a mostly empty building there were still cute interactions and fun moments to be had in AEW, whether it’s Big Tone having a cheeky bet on the matches, Colt Cabana slapping Kip Sabian or Orange Cassidy sleeping at the commentary desk.

The only problem with the Matt Hardy thing is knowing what a thunderous reaction that would’ve received in front of AEW fans. Still, Matt Hardy back in a company where he can come up with his own stuff? Brilliant.

Fuck yeah Brodie Lee. So happy it was him. Could’ve done without the bush league WWE bashing about old men not understanding his potential or whatever, but still. I’m thrilled. Him being the leader of the Dark Order immediately elevates them.

So yeah, given the circumstances, if you must do a live show, this was not bad at all. Ultimately though, it’s really not necessary and felt like a huge risk having so many people out there at once. This company especially wouldn’t suffer one bit from just doing a two hour promo, interview and vignette-filled show for however long this goes on for. Thankfully, the ambiguous way they kept saying, “the next Dynamite,” rather than, “next week,” suggests they realise this too.

Sammy fucking Guevara though. My word. What a talent. There’s no joy in wrestling right now greater than Chris Jericho constantly trying not to laugh at what a fantastic, hilarious prick Sammy is. He’s like a proud dad. 

Edited by Supremo

13 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I haven’t seen all of it but from what I did see they did a far better job than WWE. Them both doing shows without crowds further exposed the difference between the products. WWE felt shallower and more one-note than ever, like there was nothing behind the razzmatazz, whereas even in a mostly empty building there were still cute interactions and fun moments to be had in AEW, whether it’s Big Tone having a cheeky bet on the matches, Colt Cabana slapping Kip Sabina or Orange Cassidy sleeping at the commentary desk.

The only problem with the Matt Hardy thing is knowing what a thunderous reaction that would’ve received in front of AEW fans. Still, Matt Hardy back in a company where he can come up with his own stuff? Brilliant.

Fuck yeah Brodie Lee. So happy it was him. Could’ve done without the bush league WWE bashing about old men not understanding his potential or whatever, but still. I’m thrilled. Him being the leader of the Dark Order immediately elevates them.

So yeah, given the circumstances, if you must do a live show, this was not bad at all. Ultimately though, it’s really not necessary and felt like a huge risk having so many people out there at once. This company especially wouldn’t suffer one bit from just doing a two hour promo, interview and vignette-filled show for however long this goes on for. Thankfully, the ambiguous way they kept saying, “the next Dynamite,” rather than, “next week,” suggests they realise this too.

Sammy fucking Guevara though. My word. What a talent. There’s no joy in wrestling right now greater than Chris Jericho constantly trying not to laugh at what a fantastic, hilarious prick Sammy is. He’s like a proud dad. 

I have a feeling they may be taking a break, on the live Dynamite shows at least. They kept saying in reference to future matches on the next Dynamite rather than next week, have they announced anything yet?