The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

The bits I saw felt way more lively than Raw and SmackDown. I really hope WWE follows the example of having wrestlers in the seats. So many of the roster don’t need a WrestleMania match, but imagine Big E sitting there reacting to everything! Without watching it all, I can’t really judge how it felt overall, but it seemed like this was the best of the no-audience shows so far.

Harper‘s stuff was a letdown though, and I’m a big fan of him. His robe design looks like Matt Hardy’s (possibly designed purely for the misdirection?), and his gear under that was just awful. The gimmick seems like a Wyatt Family knock-off, and he even threw in the “Vince sux” wank that reminds me of every time an ex-WWE wrestler would turn up in TNA. 

• Paid Members

I’m sure Brodie’s gear was to make people think it was Matt Hardy at first. Similar to what he wears as Broken Matt. I’m just glad we all get to see him wrestle again. 

Sammy Guevara singing Judas was great. Such an annoying little prick. I think he’s much easier to hate than MJF. MJF seems like a try hard heel a lot of the time and wants to pop the crowd. Sammy is more subtle in being a dickhead. 

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The difference between Dynamite and WWW this week was night and day. Having the hard cam set up to face the entrance, framing it so you could just pretty much see the ring, having some noise from the “audience” at ringside. Jericho on commentary. It just felt like Major league vs Minor league. Sure of course these shows are suffering without a crowd, but this was a much more entertaining 2 hours then any other wrestling this week

Major league vs minor league? Nothing about WWE's production is minor league. Let's not exaggerate.

It's obvious that AEW decided to push their storylines etc far more than anything WWE really did on their shows.

More entertaining? Absolutely, but let's not go crazy.

1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

What choice to they have, though? They've hired the guy and are presumably paying him...the other option would be having him sit around earning a wage for nothing, as they wait for a time that fans are able to watch matches again.

Unfortunately, we just don't know when that will be, and it doesn't seem like it's happening any time soon. 

As far as the show goes, I really enjoyed it. The debuts didn't fall flat for me although Hardy showing up in front of fans in that manner would definitely have been a moment. 

The only complaint I have is more a concern...Jim Ross has underlying health issues, he was right beside the other announcers and was quite happily touching Tazz and acting normal. It seems a bit risky to let that happen, God knows how his body would react to covid-19. 

I'll end on a positive note though, and I don't think I need to expand upon two simple words. They speak for themselves: Sammy Guevara.

Based on that body I wonder how it would react to JR's  body! 

About as good as an empty arena show can be really, great watch but it really is a shame the Hardy bit at the end didn’t have the roof blowing off. Sammy singing Jerichos entrance was great and I loved that segment for Archer battering scrubs in a field. The makeshift crowd of wrestlers all interacting with each other was a great touch. AEW do such a good job at fleshing out the rosters character. 
They could have done without some of the old boys who are most at risk, but I know AEW aren’t putting anyone under pressure to come in (Marko Stunt was missing and Jurassic Express didn’t miss a beat at all.) I imagine Roberts and Ross would only stop going in if they were not allowed to

8 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

About as good as an empty arena show can be really, great watch but it really is a shame the Hardy bit at the end didn’t have the roof blowing off.

I think I might be alone here, but I thought the lack of crowd noise made the end of the show really effective. That, the piano music, Jericho's stunned face and Hardy's manic behaviour made the situation feel quite tense and dramatic. It really worked for me and, in the moment, made the wrestlers feel like human beings rather than performers. 

A hot crowd clearly lifts a show, but AEW proved last night that a lack of one doesn't have to break it. 

50 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

They could have done without some of the old boys who are most at risk, but I know AEW aren’t putting anyone under pressure to come in (Marko Stunt was missing and Jurassic Express didn’t miss a beat at all.) I imagine Roberts and Ross would only stop going in if they were not allowed to

I can't imagine anyone's being pressured to wrestle in any of the companies at the moment.

Although there's this weird thing on social media where some people have criticised Vince for doing shows yet commended AEW. I honestly don't get that.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Major league vs minor league? Nothing about WWE's production is minor league. Let's not exaggerate.

It's obvious that AEW decided to push their storylines etc far more than anything WWE really did on their shows.

More entertaining? Absolutely, but let's not go crazy.

You watched Raw and Smackdown and thought the presentation wasn't awful in comparison to dynamite? 

I really liked the opening promo from the Elite, set a nice tone for the show. Especially loved that it was Kenny Omega with the final rallying cry, best he's come across in AEW yet.

Rolled my eyes a bit when I saw them going ahead with the matches like normal, although it was an admirable effort. Tazz, JR and Jericho being loose and entertaining on commentary really helped to carry the show and the guys at ringside did their best making noise. It's so much easier when you've got a bunch of well defined characters interacting and doing their thing to bring some life to it. MJF, Cabana and Sammy G were all gold. Still though, you can't help the flat feeling with a missing crowd. But fair play on them making something watchable out of the situation. (In contrast, I watched the first five minutes of Smackdown out of curiosity. Sasha Banks and Bayley doing the same, shitty, scripted entrance and promo routine like robots to a bunch of empty seats, like it was any other show, was so unbearably awful I was done.) 

My heart sank when Brodie Lee was revealed as the Exalted One. A massive waste of him and I fear the Dark Order will just drag him down. It's like he stepped into a time machine and he's back in Chikara.

Jake Roberts and the Lance Archer video were incredible though. 

Hoping they come up with something mental for Blood and Guts and shoot it in the Hardy compound or something.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

I thought it was a quality effort to be fair. Some moments that would’ve been better in front of an audience obviously but they did plenty of cool stuff with that too that WWE hasn’t done.

Very much forward to seeing what they do with Harper, Archer and Broken Matt. 

Edited by AndyUK