The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

Enjoyed this week, but after a few really good shows, it just felt solid. It rattled along, and had some good stuff, but I'll probably remember nothing from it other than Jake's promo. 

The Dark Order are fun, but they're mid-card and not even high mid-card. A nice reveal of the Exalted One will help, but they really should end up doing comedy. I'm thinking more and more that Colt Cobana might be the exalted one. He's been directly involved with them for no obvious reason, it's been pointed out that he's close to the Elite, SCU, and was looking for 'an opportunity', after it was said 'The exalted one is closer than you think'. And now he's randomly turned up. I don't think they CAN do this in a satisfying way, since it seems like their original plan of Marty fell through.

Jake the Snake coming back and delivering a promo like that is the content I didn’t know I needed in 2020.

His surprise appearance and mystery surrounding his client is exactly the kind of story telling the WWE has lacked for a long time.

• Paid Members

Jake's promo was absolutely brilliant, and exactly the right way to be using talented veterans in modern wrestling. There is always a spot for the old boys on any show, just not if you book them as if they're either still in their prime, or that every old-timer is an interchangeable comedy act distinguishable only by their catchphrase, which seems to be how WWE books them. It honestly feels like decades since we saw Jake being a scary, nasty bastard rather than "bloke with a snake" - and I'm glad they didn't go the route of giving him a snake, for so many reasons.

My only criticism is that between this, the Exalted One, and probably other stuff I'm forgetting, it does feel like, "there's someone important, but we're not telling you who it is" could become an overdone trope in AEW - and with a risk of TNA levels of disappointing surprises if they go too hard on it - so I'm hoping they come up with new ways to do good cliffhangers, and that this angle is paid off quickly (i.e. next week), rather than a mystery dragged out for weeks (though the idea of Cody always having to have eyes in the back of his head because he doesn't know when Jake's guy is showing up could be fun). 

20 minutes ago, Love-Wilcox said:

🤔

Still not sure if the first letter of each line is a red herring or not. Especially as there was also a Luke Harper tease earlier in the week. Either way it’s a good way to build suspense to who it is 

• Paid Members

It feels like they've teased too many new arrivals for "The Exalted One" to be an outsider. It feels like misdirection, which makes me think it's someone already on the roster.

Maybe I'm wrong, but they've almost teased too much for me not to cynically think they'll go the other way. No idea who it is though. 

4 minutes ago, Louch said:

Still not sure if the first letter of each line is a red herring or not. Especially as there was also a Luke Harper tease earlier in the week. Either way it’s a good way to build suspense to who it is 

Yeah me too, just about to post the same thing but you beat me to it, they certainly like the long tease, hope they don't TNA this one though

48 minutes ago, oliloveslynn said:

Yeah me too, just about to post the same thing but you beat me to it, they certainly like the long tease, hope they don't TNA this one though

Thing is they aren’t going to TNA it, because TNA has very specific skill set for letting fans down which AEW aren’t stupid enough to do. Shit like teasing former WWE world champions and revealing Al Snow is a special level of letting people down. Dark Order is just saying their leader is gonna show up, not hyping him above his station. 

That is how fans get let down. It would be like if when the CM Punk rumours where flying about they had advertised a former WWE/ECW champion and MITB winner was returning from MMA, only to reveal it was Hager. That is how you TNA it.

They are just building Matt Hardy, as long as it is him or someone much better with Hardy doing something else they won’t have a problem 

5 minutes ago, Mr Kennedy said:

Are people actually bothered about Matt Hardy turning up in AEW? He’s shit. 

Yes, he has a strong fan base that really enjoys his online work and creative mind and offering something a little different. I'm not quite sure how it'd fit in to AEW at the moment if I'm honest, but I certainly appreciate his work ethic and enthusiasm for the business and not just sitting on his arse happy with his position.

Matt Hardy would probably fit into the Dark Order perfectly, because fans would actually want to join the Dark Order with him as the leader. They’ve done this whole #jointhedarkorder shit to no luck because they are losers and fans ain’t interested.
The main thing TNA dropped the ball with was not sticking a merchandise machine behind the Broken character. Matt will be able to sell a boat load of T-shirt’s saying “property of the Dark Order” and so forth. It could probably be their best selling merch with Hardy going for it and some good designs.
I reckon he could even sell official membership cards for people to keep in their wallets for a tenner.

AEW is the perfect place for him to blend an online character with a TV one 

47 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

You would certainly hope so. I guess I'm just struggling to see how that type of character etc fits in to their overall presentation.

How would they fit him in a show where a guy wrestles with his hands in his pockets, a guy who thinks he’s a dinosaur, a woman who thinks she’s an alien....no idea