The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

The Moxley podcast is surprisingly great. He seems to have lost all the bitterness that flooded out on those initial podcast appearances, he goes into loads more detail about his early years, heā€™s a great storyteller and Tony and Aubrey are great at filling the gaps but otherwise just letting the guest talk. I love Jericho as much as anyone but sometimes he does my head in crow-barring his own stories and experiences into whatever the guest is touching on.

Can we just go ahead and declare it now? Tony Schiavone is one of the best signings in all of AEW. Heā€™s great onĀ this podcast, heā€™s great in the 90s-inspired studio on Dark, heā€™s great mixing it up with talent like Britt Baker and OrangeĀ Cassidy in live interviews and his Brendan-Fraser-in-California-Man character on commentary, like a caveman thawed out and having his mind blown by all this modern madness makes him my favourite commentator in the business right now.

God Bless BigĀ Tone. This business dropped a bollock leaving him out in the coldĀ all this time.

E1BC6C0A-DCCD-469F-9015-7A30B1D56436.thumb.jpeg.b165f6972f0b74b308f0be67e80117f8.jpeg

• Paid Members

Skiavone has been a great pick up for AEW. He's just got such a brilliant, recognisable and authoritative voice. I'm not on board with re-writing history to suggest there wasn't a reason for his absence. He was absolutely atrocious towards the end of WCW.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Skiavone has been a great pick up for AEW. He's just got such a brilliant, recognisable and authoritative voice. I'm not on board with re-writing history to suggest there wasn't a reason for his absence. He was absolutely atrocious towards the end of WCW.

Couldn't that be said for a lot of other people at that time, whoĀ weren't absent from the industry for so long?

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I wasnā€™t watching at the time, wasnā€™tĀ it a case of everyone - Tony included - working on cruise control because it was such a shitshow? Or has Tony benefitted massively by quantum leaping into a new generation?

There are all sorts of factors because the commentary was abysmal for a good couple of years and Tone was the key voice for all of it. By the end they were coasting but long before that, he'd been awful trying to make everything sound epic and every night sound like the "greatest night in the history of our sport", suffered from trying to sell the mess that was WCW as marvellous and then along came Russo and his massive fucking scripts and Skiavone and his mates had to try and sell Russo's insider bullshit as legit. By the end he was on autopilot but he'd been toxic for so long there was no chance of anyone touching him. The fact TNA went with Tenay says everything. Then he just became yesterday's man in his absence.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Lead announcers live and die by the product they've got to call. If the product they are selling is shitty then it's going to kill their credibility, which is death for an announcer.

All the WCW announcers were terrible back then. The difference was folk like Heenan could justĀ take the piss whereas Schiavone looked a moron trying to pretend everything was great, even when it was clear that he didn't have a clue what was going on. By the time WCW ended, Schiavone was a laughing stock.

The same thingĀ happened to Mike Tenay in TNA as well.

If anything I think Schiavone's benefited from being away from the business so long. You can tell that he's loving every second of being involved, even when it's just on his podcast. If he'd been in WWE all these yearsĀ then there's a good chance he'd be as unmotivated as JR is.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

If anything I think Schiavone's benefited from being away from the business so long. You can tell that he's loving every second of being involved, even when it's just on his podcast. If he'd been in WWE all these yearsĀ then there's a good chance he'd be as unmotivated as JR is.

Yeah, thatā€™s the key. You sense heā€™s truly having a great time. Heā€™s the antithesis of Michael Cole. Every laugh or cry of shockĀ from Cole reeks of insincerity. YouĀ can almost hear Vince inĀ his ear shouting at him to laugh or whatever, whereas Tony sounds completely legit in chuckling at something daftĀ or screaming in awe. Itā€™s so great. Him shouting, ā€œHEā€™S BROKEN HIS NECK!ā€ at Moxleyā€™s top-rope DDT on Darby Allin is my favourite call in years.

• Paid Members

That really didn't feel like two hours. That flew by. The Iron Man match was so good - between that and how clearly conflicted he was in the segment with the Bucks, some who haven't seen NJPW Kenny Omega might finally be able to see more of why so many think so highly of him.

And yeah, that Bucks segment - so much going on. I really do recommend the last few minutes of last week's BTE as an addition to it. Sure, Hangman is being touchy and arsey about things, but he's not wrong either. And he's also willing to take on board points about himself being an asshole at times. Ignore the production values, and it'll add some extra nuances to the Bucks segment - I've linked it to start at that segment:Ā https://youtu.be/ryIOia2Dyy8?t=1306

The women's side of things is coming on pretty well. It's not where it needs to be yet, and a bunch of the prospects are green, but there's more to like.

• Paid Members

Yeah I thought the womens match was a pretty big improvement on their usual output myself.

There was loads to love about that show and I couldn't be more hyped for Revolution.

The fact that they barely mentioned Cody Vs MJF and yet it still felt can't miss speaks volumes on the depth they are slowly building.

Remarkable really because It's so rare that I genuinely care about ANY of the matches on WWE ppvs.

I'm still entertainedĀ but I rarely care what happens in them by and large. This has genuine interest in pretty much everything.

Also Tony is absolutely marvellous. Cassidy putting his shades on him was tremendous.

The Inner Circle NEVER need to win a match IMO. (Bar Jericho) They are proper heels and it makes zero difference if they keep losing as long as they look strong together and act like they own the place.

• Paid Members

Unsurprisingly, the Countdown show for Revolution is absolutely outstanding, with one particular highlight being Jericho hilariously claiming he knocked out Randy Couture once in Las Vegas. "Google it! It's on TMZ! Knocked him flat out on his ass! Stupid bald idiot with a big giant head!"

The best moment though? Dustin fucking Rhodes, man. Check him out. He's great in this whole video but that last minute is something else.

"You can knock me down a thousand times and I will get up each and every time and look you square in your FUCKING eye. And FIGHT you to the bitter end."

Wow. This man needs a run as Champion.