The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

BTE this week had two segments I really liked. One between Peter Avalon and Brandon Cutler (neither of whom I have much time for generally), where they argued over who had the worst record. I reckon they'll set up a match between them where one of them must finally get a win, which is a fun use of the rankings thing.

The other segment was the final one with Hangman and Omega. Page acknowledges his issues, and opens up - he feels like he doesn't fit in with the Elite, because everyone else is seen as 'the best' at something (tag team, wrestler, promo) and he's just there. And he's been taking it out on the Bucks because it's easier than taking it out on himself. Kenny half pep-talks him, half tells him to get over himself - he's relying on him and he picked him to be his partner. He mentions they're just getting started, and Page mentions "hey, we never came up with a name".  It was bitter-sweet and nicely done. Page was as great as ever here, and it really felt like some shit is going to go down.

Hangman's so sympathetic - I could see Omega and the Bucks turning on him (or at least the Bucks anyway, with Kenny stuck in the middle). We're maybe overdue a decent heel turn. Have we had one in AEW yet?

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hangman's so sympathetic - I could see Omega and the Bucks turning on him (or at least the Bucks anyway, with Kenny stuck in the middle). We're maybe overdue a decent heel turn. Have we had one in AEW yet?

MJF? I know it wasn't a huge huge shock, but still really well done

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Chris B said:

We're maybe overdue a decent heel turn. Have we had one in AEW yet?

I'd say no. There was the big MJF turn on Cody, but he was pretty much a heel to everyone except Cody anyway, so I'm not counting that.

The Bucks and Kenny turning on Page would be interesting. It would probably work because Page seems very popular at the moment but logically, he's been the dick to them rather than the other way around so him turning eventually, while obvious, makes the most sense.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

The Bucks and Kenny turning on Page would be interesting. It would probably work because Page seems very popular at the moment but logically, he's been the dick to them rather than the other way around so him turning eventually, while obvious, makes the most sense.

There's been some discussion on the BTE threads on Reddit around the idea that the Bucks have been already acting like heels in this, and in other situations. They've been gegging in on Page and Omega's celebrations (even after Page asked them for space), Page asked them to accompany him to his match with Jericho like they did with Omega in NJPW and they said no (because they were focused on Lucha Bros), they've ignored his clear issues, and they're kind of assholes to people generally. Page has reacted to it, but he's now acknowledging that he's been an asshole in response and seems remorseful about it.

I'm kind of figuring it's useful to mention some BTE stuff on here, since it seems very few people watch it, and it does flesh out the storylines. Not sure if it'd be better in a separate thread or not.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

It's a small criticism, but I just wish they'd put BTE on the official AEW youtube channel if they're going to use it to further storylines.

I just looked up one someone mentioned above on YouTube and it wasn't there and I gave up because I don't know how to watch it so I definitely agree with you there. 

7 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I just looked up one someone mentioned above on YouTube and it wasn't there and I gave up because I don't know how to watch it so I definitely agree with you there. 

I agree it should be on the AEW channel as well but its hardly hard to find I just typed BTE in on Youtube and it came up as the first result

16 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Good grief, you just type "Being The Elite" in the search bar and every single episode comes up.

Talk about a spoon fed generation 😂

There’s been a few occasions where Meltzer has had to say to someone that “they explained that on BTE” when he gets questioned about stuff and its been discussed  here before about things being furthered on BTE as opposed to the TV show. If they’re  going to further things on there (and I’m not saying they shouldn’t) then push that on Dynamite the same way they do with AEW Dark. Tell your audience when it’s going to be available and where, rather than just assuming that everyone already watches.

That Page segment for example sounds like the exact sort of thing that should be on TV to further the storyline and Page as a character. If they don’t show it and just leave it tucked away on YouTube, then they’re just making things harder for themselves 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

There’s been a few occasions where Meltzer has had to say to someone that “they explained that on BTE” when he gets questioned about stuff and its been discussed  here before about things being furthered on BTE as opposed to the TV show. If they’re  going to further things on there (and I’m not saying they shouldn’t) then push that on Dynamite the same way they do with AEW Dark. Tell your audience when it’s going to be available and where, rather than just assuming that everyone already watches.

Pretty sure I've watched one full episode of BTE ever (the one where they signed Kenny Omega) and a few clips and not watched a single minute since Dynamite started. Don't feel like I've missed a thing. There was some really minor shit in the early days that I didn't get but didn't care about. There's nothing major that relies on it.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

That Page segment for example sounds like the exact sort of thing that should be on TV to further the storyline and Page as a character. If they don’t show it and just leave it tucked away on YouTube, then they’re just making things harder for themselves 

To be fair, this was a slow segment and wouldn't have worked on TV at all (it was also nowhere near TV standards of quality). They definitely need to do something, but youtube allows them to be a bit more rambly and hit-and-miss.

3 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Pretty sure I've watched one full episode of BTE ever (the one where they signed Kenny Omega) and a few clips and not watched a single minute since Dynamite started. Don't feel like I've missed a thing. There was some really minor shit in the early days that I didn't get but didn't care about. There's nothing major that relies on it.

Agreed - not much relies on it, although it does flesh out quite a lot. This week mainly fleshed out Omega/Hangman and the Dark Order stuff (which is unlikely to win anyone over on here).

• Paid Members

Something that has stood out to me in the BTE debate as to where it fits in with the storylines is that perhaps AEW are trying to get ahead of, or at least stay in line with, the curve of modern digital cultures and their viewing habits. We live in the era of the YouTuber - we've already seen people who've become stars online being welcomed into the traditional media world, establishing not only them further, but also further legitimising online media consumption as simply the latest evolution in delivery of cultural texts. 

It seems to me they're probably trying to reach younger demographics to whom expanded or supplementary viewing on YouTube is neither an arse-ache nor a "less legit" form of consumption. WWE have already done similar using Twitter, Clout, the Network, etc., so the idea of the fully-integrated consumer platform for a wrestling show isn't really a new idea. It may be, gentlemen, that it is time for us to truly accept that, if we're complaining about this, we are truly old.