The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

15 hours ago, Yakashi said:

To be fair, the last match was the best she’s ever looked by a million miles. I fear for her defences though as the division is shite and there’s only so many times she can beat up Japanese girls before it gets boring. 

She should be the easiest champion to book. Just have her Vader/Sid her way through scrubs and put her with the likes of Shida and Riho for the big defences.

Though I've just further highlighted how weak the division is I guess.

Fuck it, just fly Aja Kong in and have them beat lumps out of each other.

• Awards Moderator

Very good episode this week. Highlights for me:

- Dustin Rhodes. As (I think) @Supremo said, he's got me excited to see him vs. Swagger. And it took him about 30 seconds of mic time to do it. He's excellent. Good match with Sammy as well.

- Jungle Boy. I love how much JR loves him. And for all his mistakes, JR is still 10,000,000% right to keep pushing the 'Jack Perry' name. Only a matter of time before JBJP is a megastar. 

- PAC. Speaking of megastars... he's just wonderful and brilliant and to have his athleticism but also that strength of character work... there are very few that could be considered better. Judge it on AEW and nobody should be putting Omega above PAC so far, so I hope he wins the Iron Man 5-0 in a replication of that Newcastle vs Man Utd match from 1996. Surreal and very cool to see the Quayside in the vignette as well. @Devon Malcolm much as I'd have loved to see the car park, they've since torn it down.

Second the love for Dustin. What a cracking voice. The change in tone from exasperation in "Not you" to pure venom in "Jericho's BITCH". Lovely stuff. I also love him selling the setup for his drop punch. Such simple crowd work, an in joke that's actually funny and realistic. Canadian destroyers can go in the bin though - a straight piledriver from 6'5" would look murderous.

If they're doing everything with Hangman on purpose, it's utter genius. So many little touches, from Omega seemingly avoiding the tag, Page needing a breath and making bad calls, to his isolation backstage, it's subtle where it needs to be and it'll be awesome when they pull the trigger on him. I'm already willing him to believe in himself again.

Omega has turned fully into another Good In Japan. He looks in poorer shape, puffy faced, lank haired and pink skinned, that I've convinced myself is due to switching diet from (stereotypically) cleaner Japanese to American. I'm also sure the NJPW camerawork hid a lot of his flaws, being focused more on close ups and tight angles, whereas the greater use of wide shots and hard cam work shows just how theatrically he keeps flopping around, pointing at nothing, and flailing around - it looks kind of dumb with so much stillness around him.

Jungle Boy is a star and I actually trust the company not to hotshot him. This singles run of near misses can't go on too long, so Luchasaurus needs to come back so they can associate Jack with winning again.

Main wasn't all my cup of tea. Mox's blind DDT made me chuckle in a Roberts-Martel blindfold match way. Closing beat down was awkward, especially with supposedly stoic Hager mugging to camera, and Cobb could've done with being in his civvies so he fit with the Inner Circle's look.

Also, Schiavone's voice. 9 stars.

2 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

If they're doing everything with Hangman on purpose, it's utter genius. So many little touches, from Omega seemingly avoiding the tag, Page needing a breath and making bad calls, to his isolation backstage, it's subtle where it needs to be and it'll be awesome when they pull the trigger on him. I'm already willing him to believe in himself again.

This was my favourite part of the show. They’ve done a real turnaround with Page, and the first few months of wishy-washy bollocks with him ties into it. He’s got a proper redemption story set up now and it can go either way. Great stuff! But it just further makes me think they've screwed up with Omega. He can’t just do a non-alcoholic version of the same anxiety/comeback thing, so ultimately, Kenny being a failure for the first few months wasn’t necessary.

Perhaps they’ve just pivoted and thought Hangman needs the help more. Regardless, he’s coming off as a focal and highlight of the show now.

I came in to specifically post that I reckon Omega is the leader of The Dark Order. I think we'll get Raven and Daniels too though. It's all very reliant on the time line they've chosen for the reveal. I'm predicting Omega somehow causes him and Page to lose the tag belts to Lucha Bros next week. Omega also doesn't have a PPV match. If they do the reveal before the Ironman match it'll make for an interesting dynamic with Neville. Now if none of this happens though Neville himself could be the leader. I think it has to be one of those two in order for it to work otherwise Dark Order will die on its' arse in about 3 weeks time.

Just a note. Nyla Rose and Shanna had been tearing it up on Dark in all aspects recently. Other than Shida, I'm particularly looking forward to them matching up again. And where's Stadtlander? So yeah, the division will be fine.

PAC should in no way be associated with the dark order (except for a one off getting them to do his bidding like he did with Rose, but even that is unnecessary.) They are a cartoon gimmick and PAC has one of the realest characters in wrestling right now. Omega is a really odd fit too. 
They would work with someone like Matt Hardy, although that will turn them face. Raven is a good choice as the talker but is washed up and can’t go in the ring. Daniels is fine as he is with SCU, I prefer him away from the Fallen Angel character anyway.
Id say the best fit would be Jimmy Havok. His promos aren’t landing because he isn’t intimidating enough, but with an army of goons behind him it would help add credibility as a threat. Put a bunch of dudes with him and you could actually believe him as a mid card danger

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members

I watched a bit of AEW this morning and haven't been following it really, is there a running joke where the Dark Order masked guy is Christopher Daniels and they're pretending it isn't, in a Mr America kind of way? Although it's been years since I last heard him speak, I swear it sounded like Daniels. Couple that with him hamming it up when he decided to 'go to the back' to find them during the SCU/Omega & Page match. Or is it an obvious curveball?