The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

I was a big fan of Raven just sitting in the crowd behind the Dark Order during the opening segment. I love those rare moments in wrestling where the commentators don’t shout and scream to draw attention to things and cool little Easter Eggs are left for the fans to notice and analyse or discuss online. Plus, that fun little tease suggests it almost certainly won’t be Raven revealed in the end, which is a huge positive in my book.

Edited by Supremo

• Awards Moderator

I don’t know if I’m seeing what everyone else is seeing in Pentagon. I may be getting distracted by him doing that hand gesture thing 40 times a match. I get it’s his thing but does he have to do it before, during and after every single move? How many times before he realises that if he didn’t waste half a minute on it each time then he wouldn’t get countered as much?

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

23 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I don’t know if I’m seeing what everyone else is seeing in Pentagon. I may be getting distracted by him doing that hand gesture thing 40 times a match. I get it’s his thing but does he have to do it before, during and after every single move? How many times before he realises that if he didn’t waste half a minute on it each time then he wouldn’t get countered as much?

Have you seen much of his work outside of AEW? This is a much tamer fan-friendly version of him and his booking is a little strange in AEW for me. It's certainly not the best version of either of the Bros if I'm honest. They are better as singles, with Pentagon as a sadistic bastard.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

It's a bad habit he seems to have picked up from his time on the US indies. He definitely hasn't been massively impressive in AEW yet. But sadistic psycho heel Pentagon is an absolute revelation and I'm hoping we get him in AEW soon.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Have you seen much of his work outside of AEW? This is a much tamer fan-friendly version of him and his booking is a little strange in AEW for me. It's certainly not the best version of either of the Bros if I'm honest. They are better as singles, with Pentagon as a sadistic bastard.

None at all - AEW Pentagon is the only Pentagon I know (and I can’t be the only one).

47 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

None at all - AEW Pentagon is the only Pentagon I know (and I can’t be the only one).

This is surely the Kenny Omega effect? What you're seeing is an AEW Pentagon, which is far away from what he has been and could still be. His stuff in Lucha Underground was immense, and he was easily the top star of the entire show. 

Maybe it's better that you don't know that Pentagon, so that when he does bring that out, it's fresh for you?

• Paid Members

Re the Pentagon thing, I think a little patience is needed. It will be much better if they milk the lucha bros for all they can as a tag team then when the times right pull the trigger on a vicious solo heel run.

At the very least AEW will be around for another 3 years. Assuming the Lucha Bros stay for that run then there really isn't a rush. I certainly wouldn't want his solo run rushed or worse; an afterthought.

It's a tough one because they actually have a lot of legit main eventer that could be champion, so as a new start up they're having to find ways to focus on all of them at the same time with our diminishing their star power too much. Especially when it comes to introducing them to fans that haven't seen their other work. They definitely struggled with that with Omega although they're doing okay now.

Sounds like a problem we'd all love to have - too much top tier talent. But it's a real challenging juggling game.

God bless Sammy Guevara. Absolute lunatic of a bumper he is.

Darby Allin is their biggest success yet in terms of giving their talent creative license. Kid hasn’t said a single word or won a single match, and he doesn’t look like he could fight his way out of a paper bag. And he’s one of the biggest stars on the show.

1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

The big difference here is that we haven't been told constantly that Pentagon is the best wrestler in the world. 

Perhaps not, but the situation is the same. Omega isn't living up to his hype. Neither is Pentagon. Both because of what they've done outside of AEW and how it differs to their current performances.