Jump to content
MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, MPDTT said:

but I think I'm being proved right! ...

I just wish they could start turning their success into increased raings and push above the million mark.

Depends what you consider to be 'right' doesn't it?

I don't think there was any question as to the talent on board and the potential there was with the company.

The main issue for me has always been the fans saying it's going to take over the world and change the industry and blah blah blah. Like you say, for all the success and solid shows etc, the ratings haven't consistently gone up or destroyed NXT or anything like that. Will that happen? Will they ever move against Raw or Smackdown and see where that goes? Will they ever destroy WWE? Who knows.

At the end of the day people should just enjoy having another strong wrestling show to consume every week. It hasn't replaced anything for me, but I'm certainly enjoying an additional show to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

The main issue for me has always been the fans saying it's going to take over the world and change the industry and blah blah blah.

I reckon I've read 191,327 posts on here against this view and exactly zero actually expressing it.

13 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

At the end of the day people should just enjoy having another strong wrestling show to consume every week. It hasn't replaced anything for me, but I'm certainly enjoying an additional show to watch.

Completely agree with this. There's been no real need for anyone to cheerlead for any company or bury the others. NWA is good, AEW is good, fuck me, Raw has been good and although I wasn't watching it since I binned the Network, I'm reading that NXT is good. All more widely available than wrestling has been for 15 years. Enjoy the fuck out of it. Just skip Smackdown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great show. I liked that Nyla Rose was just presented as a monster heel and they're not going for the transphobia heat. I'm liking Statlander too - I'd love them to do more with the gimmick, but she's just so much fun to watch.

The tag battle royal was fun - they managed to keep it from being too much of a cluster too. Standouts for me are Jungle Boy (who feels like he's going to be huge) and The Butcher, who just has a great look. He reminds me, oddly, of 2000s-era Triple H and how you'd have expected him to age.

The tag title match was fantastic fun too. Everyone was on form. That's the first time it's really felt like NJPW Omega turned up. Fenix was just insane. Pentagon felt like Pentagon (and god, I want a single run), and Hangman brought the character and story work.

They're continuing to do Hangman's story well on BTE. He clearly doesn't feel up to the level of his 'friends' (or just really doesn't want to face his friends in the ring), so this week, he tried to sabotage the Bucks in the Battle Royale, by wandering backstage and telling all the other teams the Bucks' weak points ("You didn't hear it from me, but Nick has a really weak scrotum, so just kick him right in that thing").

And yeah, that cage match was great. The cage not being flush on the ring apron made it feel oddly nerve-wracking when Cody kept slipping down. And that moonsault. Holy shit. Between that promo, that moonsault and the lashes segment, Cody might have 2020 Babyface of the Year in the bag already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

I've only just realised The Blade is Braxton Sutter from Impact and Allies real life husband. 

Or Pepper Parks for the early 2000s Apter mag readers out there. I wonder if he's still feuding with Matt Stryker (not that one).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 12:51 PM, PunkStep said:

Or Pepper Parks for the early 2000s Apter mag readers out there. I wonder if he's still feuding with Matt Stryker (not that one).

For years I would see the name Pepper Parks and just automatically thought it was a female wrestler.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a big fan of Raven just sitting in the crowd behind the Dark Order during the opening segment. I love those rare moments in wrestling where the commentators don’t shout and scream to draw attention to things and cool little Easter Eggs are left for the fans to notice and analyse or discuss online. Plus, that fun little tease suggests it almost certainly won’t be Raven revealed in the end, which is a huge positive in my book.

Edited by Supremo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know if I’m seeing what everyone else is seeing in Pentagon. I may be getting distracted by him doing that hand gesture thing 40 times a match. I get it’s his thing but does he have to do it before, during and after every single move? How many times before he realises that if he didn’t waste half a minute on it each time then he wouldn’t get countered as much?

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I don’t know if I’m seeing what everyone else is seeing in Pentagon. I may be getting distracted by him doing that hand gesture thing 40 times a match. I get it’s his thing but does he have to do it before, during and after every single move? How many times before he realises that if he didn’t waste half a minute on it each time then he wouldn’t get countered as much?

Have you seen much of his work outside of AEW? This is a much tamer fan-friendly version of him and his booking is a little strange in AEW for me. It's certainly not the best version of either of the Bros if I'm honest. They are better as singles, with Pentagon as a sadistic bastard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I don’t know if I’m seeing what everyone else is seeing in Pentagon. I may be getting distracted by him doing that hand gesture thing 40 times a match. I get it’s his thing but does he have to do it before, during and after every single move? How many times before he realises that if he didn’t waste half a minute on it each time then he wouldn’t get countered as much?

It's a bad habit he seems to have picked up from his time on the US indies. He definitely hasn't been massively impressive in AEW yet. But sadistic psycho heel Pentagon is an absolute revelation and I'm hoping we get him in AEW soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

For years I would see the name Pepper Parks and just automatically thought it was a female wrestler.

I thought it was @Sphinx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Have you seen much of his work outside of AEW? This is a much tamer fan-friendly version of him and his booking is a little strange in AEW for me. It's certainly not the best version of either of the Bros if I'm honest. They are better as singles, with Pentagon as a sadistic bastard.

None at all - AEW Pentagon is the only Pentagon I know (and I can’t be the only one).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

None at all - AEW Pentagon is the only Pentagon I know (and I can’t be the only one).

This is surely the Kenny Omega effect? What you're seeing is an AEW Pentagon, which is far away from what he has been and could still be. His stuff in Lucha Underground was immense, and he was easily the top star of the entire show. 

Maybe it's better that you don't know that Pentagon, so that when he does bring that out, it's fresh for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Re the Pentagon thing, I think a little patience is needed. It will be much better if they milk the lucha bros for all they can as a tag team then when the times right pull the trigger on a vicious solo heel run.

At the very least AEW will be around for another 3 years. Assuming the Lucha Bros stay for that run then there really isn't a rush. I certainly wouldn't want his solo run rushed or worse; an afterthought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...