The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

29 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Love the sly dig of the name F10.

I don’t think it was a ‘sly dig’, it was just a modification of a pre-existing move. A 630  splash instead of a 360, If you will.

I totally agree that they should just go ahead and turn Pentagon, or at the very least have him move on and do his own thing. It feels like The Lucha Bros have faced pretty much everyone they could face in AEW, which is insane given that the promotion is so young.

• Paid Members

What a babyface. Watching this show and that promo two days after Chucklin’ Drew McIntyre took his final form of shitty, embarrassing party host? Forget feeling like they’re in different businesses, it feels like they’re in completely different dimensions.

This show was phenomenal. Raw has been better than usual in recent months but Dynamite has been on a whole other level. A genuine belter of a show week after week.

I thought the last 2 shows have been PPV worthy. Just superb. But then you'd expect me to say that. I know a lot of my AEW fan boy grand statements I made from the moment the promotion was announced rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way, and I'll wear my dolt of the year award with pride - but I think I'm being proved right! Renewed for 3 more years, likely to be profitable this year and most importantly awarded 'show of the year' in the UKFF awards.......AEW is exactly what wrestling needed. I just wish they could start turning their success into increased raings and push above the million mark.

AEW is great right now, New Japan is good, ROH is finding its feet again & apparently Impact is too (but I just don't have time to watch another weekly 2 hour show) - there is an abundance of really good content out there right now for wrestling fans who are turned off by WWE.

1 hour ago, MPDTT said:

but I think I'm being proved right! ...

I just wish they could start turning their success into increased raings and push above the million mark.

Depends what you consider to be 'right' doesn't it?

I don't think there was any question as to the talent on board and the potential there was with the company.

The main issue for me has always been the fans saying it's going to take over the world and change the industry and blah blah blah. Like you say, for all the success and solid shows etc, the ratings haven't consistently gone up or destroyed NXT or anything like that. Will that happen? Will they ever move against Raw or Smackdown and see where that goes? Will they ever destroy WWE? Who knows.

At the end of the day people should just enjoy having another strong wrestling show to consume every week. It hasn't replaced anything for me, but I'm certainly enjoying an additional show to watch.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

The main issue for me has always been the fans saying it's going to take over the world and change the industry and blah blah blah.

I reckon I've read 191,327 posts on here against this view and exactly zero actually expressing it.

13 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

At the end of the day people should just enjoy having another strong wrestling show to consume every week. It hasn't replaced anything for me, but I'm certainly enjoying an additional show to watch.

Completely agree with this. There's been no real need for anyone to cheerlead for any company or bury the others. NWA is good, AEW is good, fuck me, Raw has been good and although I wasn't watching it since I binned the Network, I'm reading that NXT is good. All more widely available than wrestling has been for 15 years. Enjoy the fuck out of it. Just skip Smackdown.

• Paid Members

Great show. I liked that Nyla Rose was just presented as a monster heel and they're not going for the transphobia heat. I'm liking Statlander too - I'd love them to do more with the gimmick, but she's just so much fun to watch.

The tag battle royal was fun - they managed to keep it from being too much of a cluster too. Standouts for me are Jungle Boy (who feels like he's going to be huge) and The Butcher, who just has a great look. He reminds me, oddly, of 2000s-era Triple H and how you'd have expected him to age.

The tag title match was fantastic fun too. Everyone was on form. That's the first time it's really felt like NJPW Omega turned up. Fenix was just insane. Pentagon felt like Pentagon (and god, I want a single run), and Hangman brought the character and story work.

They're continuing to do Hangman's story well on BTE. He clearly doesn't feel up to the level of his 'friends' (or just really doesn't want to face his friends in the ring), so this week, he tried to sabotage the Bucks in the Battle Royale, by wandering backstage and telling all the other teams the Bucks' weak points ("You didn't hear it from me, but Nick has a really weak scrotum, so just kick him right in that thing").

And yeah, that cage match was great. The cage not being flush on the ring apron made it feel oddly nerve-wracking when Cody kept slipping down. And that moonsault. Holy shit. Between that promo, that moonsault and the lashes segment, Cody might have 2020 Babyface of the Year in the bag already.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

I've only just realised The Blade is Braxton Sutter from Impact and Allies real life husband. 

Or Pepper Parks for the early 2000s Apter mag readers out there. I wonder if he's still feuding with Matt Stryker (not that one).

On 2/21/2020 at 12:51 PM, PunkStep said:

Or Pepper Parks for the early 2000s Apter mag readers out there. I wonder if he's still feuding with Matt Stryker (not that one).

For years I would see the name Pepper Parks and just automatically thought it was a female wrestler.

Edited by WyattSheepMask