The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Just now, mim731 said:

Closing angle was great, maybe a bit drawn out, but high drama sometimes needs to be eeked out a bit. 

Anyone know what Santana was referring to in his promo about how everyone knows it was the worst year of his life? (or something to that effect). I was slightly confused. 

His dad (who he appeared to idolise) passed away last month or late 2019.

14 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

If its a case of possessing one skill over the other, then Cody's priorities are right. Telling a compelling story has always been more important, especially in terms of revenue, over athletic ability and the in-ring stuff. 

Telling a compelling story is the in-ring stuff. Cody is quite a testament to hard work - which is an odd thing to say about a second-generation wrestler who has had jobs handed to him. But he’s not gifted with loads of charisma, freaky genetics or uncanny athletic ability, so he doesn’t have those things as shortcuts. He just studies the game and works damn hard to sell his storylines and angles, and with the right dance partner, he can deliver a good payoff when match time comes.

He’s a 6/10 performer on paper, but his stuff works way better than anyone else’s on the show. Jericho is sometimes more entertaining, but that’s fat old man meta comedy stuff - closer to Broken Matt Hardy than to a mainstream wrestling headliner. Moxley is Dean Ambrose with an eyepatch rather than a gas mask. Omega’s a wasteman. All three of them are “better” than Cody, yet they’re not showing it in AEW. If the whole thing goes tits up in a year, Cody is the one who has set himself up to be worth most to WWE. 

2 hours ago, mim731 said:

Anyone know what Santana was referring to in his promo about how everyone knows it was the worst year of his life? (or something to that effect). I was slightly confused. 

'Everyone knows' is an issue AEW has had a lot of in fairness.
Have to agree though, the closing angle was fantastic.

• Paid Members

Hangman becoming a beer wizard and magicking up a pitcher of beer out of nowhere was hilarious. That's the first time its felt like they successfully translated the humour of BTE to the main show. The match was a lot of fun too.

Wasn't expecting to like Janela/Sabian as much as I did. Although it's weird hearing JR perv over Penelope Ford. He was not having a good week. It was odd seeing that on the same week that Taz had a notably good moment in a women's match - "These two female athletes... (pauses while he realises that sounded kind of weird)... these performers. These wrestlers." It was natural, but it was also clear that he picked himself up and corrected nicely.

The lashing segment was superb. One of the most memorable segments in wrestling for so long. The moment with Brandi was absolutely perfectly handled.

• Paid Members

This is a particularly niche complaint I know, but am incredibly squeamish when it comes to messing with eyes to the extent that I couldn't ever consider getting contact lenses. 

I won't lie, not a fan of this eye stabbing shit at all and can't wait until this whole stupid angle is over, worked or not. Yuck!

Edited by garynysmon

• Awards Moderator

Very impressed with both Hangman Page and Cody on this show. Page was by far the most interesting part of that eight man tag match, even when they were in the 'everyone get their shit in' phases of the match I still had an eye on him, I believed the knee selling, and loved the finish of the match. Only downer for him the whole night was the crowd cheering when he magicked up the pitcher. The story's that he's becoming alcohol-dependent, right? Probably not meant to cheer that, but this is coming from me who never liked or understood Austin's obsession with beer either.

The closing angle was brilliantly done. I wasn't anticipating it, I didn't know how they could do it and it not come across as cheesy. I've been watching WWE too long. Wonderful drama, and Cody is such an asset to that company.

Add me to the thumbs down list for all the eye stabbing, x 10,000 for the teeth being pulled out angle. No, no, no. Don't need that. Those were gimmicked, right? Someone please reassure me they didn't pull out her actual teeth.

Pac's been to the tanning bed, hasn't he? Much as I'm not up for Omega in AEW, him and Pac in a 30-minute Iron Man should be fantastic.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Only downer for him the whole night was the crowd cheering when he magicked up the pitcher. The story's that he's becoming alcohol-dependent, right? Probably not meant to cheer that, but this is coming from me who never liked or understood Austin's obsession with beer either.

Always guessed its because alcohol is seen as something 'edgier' over there. Teenagers, due the higher age restrictions, look at it as some kind of unobtainable narnia and doesn't seem to be as engrained in their culture in the same way as it is in the British Isles and parts of Europe, for example.

24 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Always guessed its because alcohol is seen as something 'edgier' over there. Teenagers, due the higher age restrictions, look at it as some kind of unobtainable narnia and doesn't seem to be as engrained in their culture in the same way as it is in the British Isles and parts of Europe, for example.

The other side to this is that Page is beering it up and still kicking ass, so of course he's getting cheers. Beer magic, swigging during run ins, and toasting the fans is great fun, but it'll be interesting to see what happens when (if?) he starts failing in matches because of it. Like Kenny last 'season', I hope this goes somewhere concrete storyline-wise, but if a payoff is coming for Kenny's apparent complacent-from-Japan angle, it's either benched for now, forgotten or far too subtle for my non-BTE-watching ass to spot, and I REALLY hope Page's current run is leading to a classic fall and redemption arc finally achieving his dream of taking the top title.