The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

You’re not supposed to have taken it seriously anyway. It’s like WWE’s onscreen attendance figures, or everything Cody “I own the name Rhodeth, I thwear, don’t check my trademark applicathion hithtory” Runnels ever says in an interview - it’s just for entertainment purposes.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

You’re not supposed to have taken it seriously anyway. It’s like WWE’s onscreen attendance figures, or everything Cody “I own the name Rhodeth, I thwear, don’t check my trademark applicathion hithtory” Runnels ever says in an interview - it’s just for entertainment purposes.

I double-checked his Wiki for the citation, because it claims he changed his name legally to Rhodes when he was 17, but the citation's just a YouTube clip of him telling a wrestling journo that that is the case. Can't find any other evidence.

Edited by Carbomb

This changing name by deed poll thing surprised me so I just checked the 2007 WWE Hall Of Fame ceremony on the Network.

Sure enough Todd Pettingill introduced the two people inducting Dusty as: "His two sons, Dustin Runnels and Cody Rhodes". 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, dopper said:

This changing name by deed poll thing surprised me so I just checked the 2007 WWE Hall Of Fame ceremony on the Network.

Sure enough Todd Pettingill introduced the two people inducting Dusty as: "His two sons, Dustin Runnels and Cody Rhodes". 

Could that perhaps be linked to the fact that (IIRC) at the point Dusty went in to the HoF, Cody was working in the WWE system under the "Cody Rhodes" ring name, whereas Dustin wasn't working for the company and therefore was referred to with his real name?

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Statto said:

Could that perhaps be linked to the fact that (IIRC) at the point Dusty went in to the HoF, Cody was working in the WWE system under the "Cody Rhodes" ring name, whereas Dustin wasn't working for the company and therefore was referred to with his real name?

"His two sons, Dustin Runnels and Stardust."

• Paid Members

I hope Arn doesn't turn on Cody unless it's to side with Tully and collectively manage/endorse a tag team - ideally The Revival if they ever end up signing, if I'm going to get deep into fantasy booking territory. I think we need a complete moratorium on people turning on Cody for at least a year.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I hope Arn doesn't turn on Cody unless it's to side with Tully and collectively manage/endorse a tag team - ideally The Revival if they ever end up signing, if I'm going to get deep into fantasy booking territory. I think we need a complete moratorium on people turning on Cody for at least a year.

Maybe it's part of Cody's plan - he's already emulating Dusty by calling himself "The American Nightmare", he's emulated Flair with his gear and alliance with Arn, and now, by having so many people turn on him and make him look like a mug, he's emulating Sting.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I agree with you at least as far as it goes for out-of-nowhere turn/betrayals. Arn turning on Cody because Cody values his personal revenge on MJF more than saving Arn from a beating? I'm fine with that - that'd actually feel like logical progression in the story, in a way that's felt missing in wrestling for a while.

Cody having his match with Wardlow in a cage feels like a set-up for Arn taking a beating. Since it was suggested, it makes so much sense for the 'can't touch me' gimmick. And it'd be awesome because Arn would have a point. And after taking 10 lashes, so would Cody.

BTE this week was as missable as it's been. The Daniels/Dark Order mask stuff was nice, but they've over-telegraphed where it's going. That said, the overall reminder that the elites are kind of dicks was useful, especially if it keeps Hangman in a grey area.