MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

Genuinely, I hope they never have Cody going for the title. He doesn't need it, and they can use him for a secondary title - like NJPW did with the Intercontinental title and Nakamura.

It's not about goodwill, as much as it's about the possibility of longer-term storytelling and stipulations meaning more in the long run. It'd just be a missed opportunity.

Got a sinking feeling that Yuka Vs. Britt will be as mess.

I'm a Yuka fan but she's no Io, Asuka, etc. and is prone to sloppiness on occasion. Britt might be the worst opponent they could have given her for her TV debut.

Or I could be wrong and they blow everyone away or keep it short and simple. Regardless though I'm keeping my expectations low.

Totally non-essential show, outside of Hangman and an unexpectedly genuinely funny moment with Joey Janela. Enjoyed it, but I'll remember basically nothing.

Feel like they've wasted Butcher and the Blade. I really like them, and I loved the pre-match vignette. But if they've won since turning up, I've missed it. Which makes it difficult to see them as any kind of a threat. If they were played as mercenaries who don't give a shit about winning or losing, that could work - but they need to take some people out as a result.

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Totally non-essential show, outside of Hangman and an unexpectedly genuinely funny moment with Joey Janela. Enjoyed it, but I'll remember basically nothing.

Feel like they've wasted Butcher and the Blade. I really like them, and I loved the pre-match vignette. But if they've won since turning up, I've missed it. Which makes it difficult to see them as any kind of a threat. If they were played as mercenaries who don't give a shit about winning or losing, that could work - but they need to take some people out as a result.

Just wait until January, they'll be back at 0-0.

The whole Cody stipulation argument is an odd one if you ask me, I don't think you have to stick to a stipulation forever to demonstrate you take them seriously. As other people have pointed out there are obvious issues when companies only let them last a couple weeks like with Punk but, when done right, overcoming a stipulation like the one Cody has can lead to an amazing story.

Him refusing to go after a heel champ like Jericho when le champion he's beaten all the other faces is the perfect angle to go into Double or Nothing. Cody deciding he can only do it if he goes double or nothing and puts his career on the line would be hugely compelling in my opinion

Edited by Brudaker

They can totally pull Cody going for title off if they really want to. Personally I hope they give it time and book it organically.

Also let's be honest us wrestling fans are a fickle bunch and put up with some proper shite anyway. Cody getting a shot might get some backlash but wouldn't kill the company.

50 minutes ago, Brudaker said:

Cody deciding he can only do it if he goes double or nothing and puts his career on the line would be hugely compelling in my opinion

There’s no stakes there when they’re using the same breath to undercut Cody’s promises and show they mean nothing. “I mean it this time though, honest!” 

There are loads of options, like since it is self imposed he could use it to turn heel if they ever find themselves needing a top heel. Or they could have Dustin win the belt and request to defend it in a retirement match against his brother. That would be great

Edited by UK Kat Von D

Or MJF wins it way down the line (he's clearly not quite there yet) and that sets Cody off on a chase.

Plenty of options available and as it stands Cody is in a position where he doesn't even need the title yet imo. He's over as fuck as it is.

48 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

There’s no stakes there when they’re using the same breath to undercut Cody’s promises and show they mean nothing. “I mean it this time though, honest!” 

Not if Cody sticks to that stipulation for a large chunk of time, until storyline and fan demand push the issue. In that case at very worst fans would see the career on the line stipulation as a risk of Cody being off TV and PPV for a considerable length.

The point I'm making isn't about specific booking but about illustrating that there are plenty of options to use the stipulation to tell an amazing story. If Batman swore never to be batman again then inevitably became batman again you wouldn't think there are no stakes in the story when Bane suddenly appears and cripples him. Even though you can bet your ass he'll end up back as batman again.

WWE not being able to hold their load on anything for more than an ad break doesn't mean AEW should be prevented from using an interesting narrative device. Maybe see if he ever challenges again and judge the context and story around it before writing the whole thing off.

Edited by Brudaker

45 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

There are loads of options, like since it is self imposed he could use it to turn heel if they ever find themselves needing a top heel. Ot they could have Dustin win the belt and request to defend it in a retirement match against his brother. That would be great

I really like that idea, it’s not something I’d considered at all. His feud with MJF doesn’t feel anywhere near as heated as his feud with Jericho or even his very underrated feud with Shawn Spears did. It may very well reach that point, but there’s something about their interactions that just aren’t clicking for me. I did fully expect MJF to be the one to goad Cody into one more title match, but I’m not sure their feud will ever get heated enough to make that step feel appropriate.

Having been used to LAX being generally amazing in Impact, as a general viewer of Dynamite I can't help but think that (so far) Santana and Ortiz' current gimmick in AEW is pretty rubbish and are being underutilised in general.

Being lost in the pack may be a better way of putting it.

Mjf beats cody, mjf wins title, mjf cockily challenges Cody to a match, Cody refuses and has put it behind him, mjf gets angry at refusal and makes it a title match offer. Cosy wins . Stip gone, fans happy

Clearly cody loses a loser leaves town strap match to mjf, who then goes on to win the belt. Has to defend it against the winner of a battle royal, a strapping masked wrestler called the nightmare rider..... 

I think MJF wins at Revolution because Arn turns on Cody......I just see no logic to having Arn there otherwise, unless its to screw Cody - the top baby face in the company doesn't need a coach! Particularly one who gets ejected in matches for touching the ref (I can't recall seeing that from a face manager role). Arn would be far more valuable if attached to a young talent and MJF fits the bill. MJF with Arn then goes on to win the title as @Louch suggests.