The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

50 minutes ago, Brudaker said:

Cody deciding he can only do it if he goes double or nothing and puts his career on the line would be hugely compelling in my opinion

There’s no stakes there when they’re using the same breath to undercut Cody’s promises and show they mean nothing. “I mean it this time though, honest!” 

There are loads of options, like since it is self imposed he could use it to turn heel if they ever find themselves needing a top heel. Or they could have Dustin win the belt and request to defend it in a retirement match against his brother. That would be great

Edited by UK Kat Von D

48 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

There’s no stakes there when they’re using the same breath to undercut Cody’s promises and show they mean nothing. “I mean it this time though, honest!” 

Not if Cody sticks to that stipulation for a large chunk of time, until storyline and fan demand push the issue. In that case at very worst fans would see the career on the line stipulation as a risk of Cody being off TV and PPV for a considerable length.

The point I'm making isn't about specific booking but about illustrating that there are plenty of options to use the stipulation to tell an amazing story. If Batman swore never to be batman again then inevitably became batman again you wouldn't think there are no stakes in the story when Bane suddenly appears and cripples him. Even though you can bet your ass he'll end up back as batman again.

WWE not being able to hold their load on anything for more than an ad break doesn't mean AEW should be prevented from using an interesting narrative device. Maybe see if he ever challenges again and judge the context and story around it before writing the whole thing off.

Edited by Brudaker

45 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

There are loads of options, like since it is self imposed he could use it to turn heel if they ever find themselves needing a top heel. Ot they could have Dustin win the belt and request to defend it in a retirement match against his brother. That would be great

I really like that idea, it’s not something I’d considered at all. His feud with MJF doesn’t feel anywhere near as heated as his feud with Jericho or even his very underrated feud with Shawn Spears did. It may very well reach that point, but there’s something about their interactions that just aren’t clicking for me. I did fully expect MJF to be the one to goad Cody into one more title match, but I’m not sure their feud will ever get heated enough to make that step feel appropriate.

• Paid Members

Having been used to LAX being generally amazing in Impact, as a general viewer of Dynamite I can't help but think that (so far) Santana and Ortiz' current gimmick in AEW is pretty rubbish and are being underutilised in general.

Being lost in the pack may be a better way of putting it.

Mjf beats cody, mjf wins title, mjf cockily challenges Cody to a match, Cody refuses and has put it behind him, mjf gets angry at refusal and makes it a title match offer. Cosy wins . Stip gone, fans happy

I think MJF wins at Revolution because Arn turns on Cody......I just see no logic to having Arn there otherwise, unless its to screw Cody - the top baby face in the company doesn't need a coach! Particularly one who gets ejected in matches for touching the ref (I can't recall seeing that from a face manager role). Arn would be far more valuable if attached to a young talent and MJF fits the bill. MJF with Arn then goes on to win the title as @Louch suggests.

Why would MJF need Arn as a manager, he is already a great talker and has Wardlow as a bodyguard so why would he need Arn.

If Arn is going to turn on Cody it will be when Cody moves on from MJF and goes against someone else and then Arn will turn and allign with whomever Cody is fueding with.

• Paid Members

Far from him turning and joining forces with MJF, the moment Arn came in as Cody's manager I assumed it was so they could do a heavy angle where MJF violently attacks Arn, safe in the knowledge Cody can't touch him. There'd be some great drama there, I reckon.

4 hours ago, Supremo said:

Far from him turning and joining forces with MJF, the moment Arn came in as Cody's manager I assumed it was so they could do a heavy angle where MJF violently attacks Arn, safe in the knowledge Cody can't touch him. There'd be some great drama there, I reckon.

Oh God that would be so great, Cody reluctantly having to watch Arn take a pasting in order to get his match with MJF.

Then you could actually have Arn turn on Cody at Revolution, justifiably angry that Cody chose a chance at revenge over helping his coach and mentor.

Now I’m just upset because this is all too good to actually happen xD

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Weezenal said:

All Elite Wrestling’s ITV Problem

"It has to be said that there has been one issue that has left a selection of AEW fans frustrated – its UK TV deal with ITV". https://

https://wrestlingsc.com/2020/02/02/all-elite-wrestlings-itv-problem/

Mentioned it here already but ITV did exactly the same thing when they had the PBC boxing deal, it started well but slowly they started skipping shows, stopped uploading them to the on-demand service and eventually it just stopped altogether with no announcement.