The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

On 1/22/2020 at 12:01 PM, GeronimoJacksBeard said:

That PAC promo was class. He’s so fucking good. Ever since the “King of the Cruiserweights” gimmick and nailing all his promo stuff he’s been the very best around for my money. He’s right, he’s a good country mile away from anyone else in AEW.

He’s the only person in wrestling I actually believe is real. 

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Very surprised AEW won this week with a taped show against a pre-Rumble NXT. Good news.

I wonder how much curiosity over the location/aesthetic of that show played into things. I suspect a regular arena show, if it was on tape delay might not have fared as well against a live show, but that's testament to AEW taking a chance on doing something different! Good stuff. 

• Paid Members

To be fair, three of the matches had backstory that had been built up over the last few weeks too. 

Jurassic Express vs Inner Circle (with the Jungle Boy/Jericho story, plus they've been building Jungle Boy for the last few weeks on social media)

Mox vs Pac No 1 Contenders (plus they're two of their bigger names)

Hangman/Omega vs SCU (two of their bigger names with a built-up title shot).

It wasn't like these were random matches - they all meant something and they all had build.

Gotta say, I absolutely love the Hangman stuff every single week now. Best move they could have made was to get the tag belts on two stars - the SCU reign can't be considered anything but a misfire to me, and the all the non-subtle subtlety, with Schiavone blowing off Hangman to ask Kenny a question, and the Bucks going straight to Kenny to celebrate, it brilliant stuff to watch.

That said, the show, which was good, suffered with the atmosphere, felt like it dragged more than normal with the crowd not being nearly as hot throughout as it looked like they might be as first.

• Paid Members

It seemed like they had sound issues which would have contributed to that on TV - a small venue that doesn't have a roof for amplification, plus wind plus other distractions. They were certainly the most sweary crowd they've had in a while too.

I really liked the idea of the venue, but the presentation wasn't great. Partly they were unlucky with the wind, although Hangman and Jungle Boy in particular were carrying off the windswept look in a way that made me and my other half slightly annoyed that the commentary is so straight and male. Kind of needed a Mitchell and Webb snooker-commentary-style "and there he is, hair gently swaying in the breeze, framing the bluest, most beautiful eyes... a vision of gentle manliness and, indeed, gentlemanliness... It'd make you wonder what it'd be like to... oh, and that's a bad miss."

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I really liked the idea of the venue, but the presentation wasn't great. Partly they were unlucky with the wind, although Hangman and Jungle Boy in particular were carrying off the windswept look in a way that made me and my other half slightly annoyed that the commentary is so straight and male. Kind of needed a Mitchell and Webb snooker-commentary-style "and there he is, hair gently swaying in the breeze, framing the bluest, most beautiful eyes... a vision of gentle manliness and, indeed, gentlemanliness... It'd make you wonder what it'd be like to... oh, and that's a bad miss."

"Wow, he hits a shooting star press, truly a thing of beauty and - Tony... it's happened again..."

"Darren, you'll just have to sit in it until the next interval."

2 hours ago, mim731 said:

I wonder how much curiosity over the location/aesthetic of that show played into things. I suspect a regular arena show, if it was on tape delay might not have fared as well against a live show, but that's testament to AEW taking a chance on doing something different! Good stuff. 

I think something that played a part was Omega and Page winning the titles. Anyone who had checked spoilers would have seen that and decided the show was worth watching.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I think something that played a part was Omega and Page winning the titles. Anyone who had checked spoilers would have seen that and decided the show was worth watching.

That's probably a good shout, in fairness. Can definitely see a title change enticing those sitting on the fence to tune in.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, thescottishchamp87 said:

ITV Box Office has closed down so now the question is what will ITV do with AEW PPVs in the future

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2020/01/itv-ends-pay-per-view-service.html?m=1

That probably explains why there has been no mention of the next PPV at all from them.

At a guess, ITV's deal with AEW was for PPV on Box Office only. If that is the case, they will either have to partner with someone else who does it (Hi Sky..) or we will be only able to show them on Fite.

What will be interesting is if there were two separate deals, one for Dynamite and one for PPV or just one for AEW products, If it is the former, could ITV drop Dynamite completely?