The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

Whenever I watch Football Focus I get super angry that all this extra texture and detail isn't on Match of the Day.

Oh wait.........

If the best bit of the game was on FF and not MOTD, you would be.

That's the issue here. It's not that they're putting extra stuff on YouTube, it's that they're putting better stuff on than on TV. Stuff that better tells the stories than what's on TV. WWE do the same with their characters. On TV, they're fucking dweebs. On YouTube, they're the coolest people on the planet. Some of them anyway, not you Ziggler.

1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

Kris Statlander is one thing that annoys me - and did before AEW as well. 

I appreciate anyone on the indies who, having built up a name and a reputation, isn't afraid to think, "this isn't quite working, let's try something new", and take a gamble on a new gimmick or persona. And the alien gimmick is fun! But she hedged her bets and stuck with the existing, ordinary name. "Kris Statlander" isn't an alien's name. 

And I understand not changing it while she was on the indies and still banking on prior name value, but now she's locked down to a contract, that should have been an opportunity.

Was Clark Kent an aliens name? Maybe if she pronounced her full alien name you would end up in a coma??? These things I don't mind so much in storytelling entertainment, but it'd take 15 seconds to explain and the laziness annoys me. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, poetofthedeed said:

Was Clark Kent an aliens name?

His Kryptonian name was Kal-El (or Kal-L on Earth-2). His human name came from his adopted parents, who were a bunch of Kents.

• Paid Members

I really don’t think showing a three to five minute video on the big screen, “kills,” a live crowd. If anything, whenever I’ve attended a live TV recording it’s only added to the excitement, getting caught up in the characters or stories before seeing them live in the flesh. To this day, one of my favourite experiences at any live event is the, “Baba O’Reilly,” montage the UFC play before their events start. It’s absolute magic, every time.

I wonder if it’s yet another case of AEW being so obsessed with being an alternative to WWE that it’s at the expense of their product. 

In WWE, everything is boiled down to one or two notes and everything is hammered home to an almost comical level. Every advert break is followed by a, “Moments Ago,” recap and if a big moment happens then you’ll see it repeated over and over, week after week, music video after music video. Absolutely nothing is left to memory or assumption.

It wouldn’t shock me at all if The Elite guys think WWE’s approach insults the fan’s intelligence, which is why everything is far more scattered on Dynamite, most guys usually have an A and B feud running simultaneously, and we almost never get a recap video. 

I get it, but there has to be a happy medium. Don’t treat your fans like morons but then also don’t assume they watch and remember everything and wouldn’t appreciate a quick recap or a fun video package. I’ve watched everything they’ve put out so far but still thought that MJF/Cody video was fucking boss. Imagine having a moment as good as that MJF turn and not showing it over and over again. In fact, where the fuck is the footage of that fan throwing a drink at MJF as he walked to the back? That was money!

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

If the best bit of the game was on FF and not MOTD, you would be.

That's the issue here. It's not that they're putting extra stuff on YouTube, it's that they're putting better stuff on than on TV. Stuff that better tells the stories than what's on TV. WWE do the same with their characters. On TV, they're fucking dweebs. On YouTube, they're the coolest people on the planet. Some of them anyway, not you Ziggler.

The thing is, AEW are sometimes acting like they're Chikara when in reality they should be behaving like a true national/international promotion should.  

Fair enough, if it was a niche product that the audience had to go to a massive effort to seek them out, then it would be fine to tuck away crucial content on Youtube.

But (and I consider myself in this category) when they're on a massive network that surely depends on casual as well as hardcore fans, then why not make it as easy as possible for your audience? The TV rights will dwarf any other income stream they have.

Just because a big chunk of the audience are quite smarky and into their workrate, doesn't mean that you shouldn't be looking to grow your audience as much as possible and become a bit broader. Yet it sometimes comes across that some sections of the wrestling fanbase don't want it to become too popular again.

During the height of the Attitude Era, you could watch Raw without necessarily having to bother with Superstars/Metal etc but were there as auxiliary programming. Nothing of major significance happened on these shows but they were there.

I'm happy to watch AEW for free on ITV4 every week but have never watched an episode of Being the Elite, and kind of resent the idea of being almost forced to in order to understand some of what's going on. I suspect that I represent a fair chunk of the TV audience there.

While everyone has access to the internet these days, not everyone is as sad as us and spend time on message boards talking about it and watching old and current Youtube videos.

Its fine to refer to its online content on the TV show, but if anything of great entertainment/storyline importance happens, then at least show some of it on the main TV show! 

Edited by garynysmon

14 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

His Kryptonian name was Kal-El (or Kal-L on Earth-2). His human name came from his adopted parents, who were a bunch of Kents.

That's what I mean, I'd love a vignette where it's explained that she took the name to fit in on earth, or go the whole hog and do a mini movie of her life..... I can't believe that a comic book nerd, a video game nerd and whatever the fuck the young bucks are can't write a background for a backflipping alien......

Easiest thing to do would be have each show open with one of their ten minute video packages, getting everyone upto date and into the show for the evening. That way fans in the live crowd haven’t had their show interrupted and viewers at home will know to tune in from the start to see what’s happening that night 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, poetofthedeed said:

That's what I mean, I'd love a vignette where it's explained that she took the name to fit in on earth, or go the whole hog and do a mini movie of her life..... I can't believe that a comic book nerd, a video game nerd and whatever the fuck the young bucks are can't write a background for a backflipping alien......

Yeh, I'd love something like that, especially if they directly ripped off the Superman mythos with her crash-landing in rural America and being raised by the Statlander family.

• Paid Members

How is Statlander's gimmick played on the Indies? Is she actually supposed to be an alien? It sounds like a fun idea but in typical AEW fashion nothing has ever been explained and it's almost as if they threw her on TV before deciding whether they actually wanted to use the gimmick or not.

Being stuck on that boat would be my idea of hell, and I bet it stunk to high heaven, but the set for tonight's Dynamite show on the Jericho Cruise looks bloody brilliant. Pic in spoiler tags just in case.

image.thumb.png.ac388ff80bd5cbfceb9880ef7aaa95a5.png

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Am I right in thinking that Dynamite was taped last night to avoid the chance of the possibility of technical difficulties/the live feed dying

That would be my guess. But Cody announced it will be live from the boat on next years cruise today

40 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I really hope someone gets thrown off the side of the boat at some point. Please God let this happen. 

I think more than one person mentioned this on Twitter and Jericho replied to one with 'They would literally die'... which is a fair point.
Have to agree that set up looks fucking cool and, no spoilers, but the show this week does sound pretty decent. 

9 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I think more than one person mentioned this on Twitter and Jericho replied to one with 'They would literally die'... which is a fair point.
Have to agree that set up looks fucking cool and, no spoilers, but the show this week does sound pretty decent. 

Unless of course they were an alien and this unlocked their secret powers of teleportation........