The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

I get that from a guy late in his career not wanting the pressure of having to perform at a high level all the time. But wanting to use his matches to let other people shine doesn't work if he's not already established as a top guy capable of putting people over - they're relying on people already knowing who Kenny Omega was before AEW to lend legitimacy to his matches in AEW.

"I guess he just doesn't feel the need to be the Kenny Omega we saw in Japan" -- but presumably the audience they're going for now haven't seen him in Japan. He surely should have established himself as the big swinging dick in AEW and then used that status to help a Hangman Page. Page being a sad loser would have more of a contrast with Kenny if Kenny was a winner, for example. And the frustrating thing about it is that Omega's big losses have been against the likes of Jericho, Ambrose and Neville -- ex-WWE guys who are already more famous than him and don't really get any rub from beating him. So he's lowered his own stock and reinforced that the guys from the big leagues are better than even the very best of the people you're seeing for the first time.

I've never seen Omega before AEW.  What the fed has taught me  is that he's a lower mid card act who can't beat the top guys.  And he's a geek.

1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Why is he fucking about in the opening spotfest?

To set up the tag title match next week and progress the story with Page. Fair enough if you think he shouldn’t be used in random TV spotfests, but there was very clear reasons for that match taking place. 
Omega and Page against SCU will probably main event next week.

• Awards Moderator
18 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Yeah regardless of what people think of the match and it's position on the card the opening four way clearly served two purposes. Setting up a tag title match and continuing the Adam Page storyline.

There's definitely bigger things to moan about.

I agree. Which is why I moaned about bigger things and pointed out that I understood the purpose of that particular match. I do maintain it’s symptomatic of the bigger problems with Omega, though.

I think I can see the logic in Omega taking a step back to allow others to be built as stars. If you push him hard now then, outside of Mox and Jericho, who is he beating every week other than a bunch of nobodies. Instead you can spend the time now building guys like Page, Sammy, Luchasaurus etc and then when it's time to push Omega towards the main event he has all of these guys who the audience perceive as stars to go over which in turn helps Omega seem like a bigger deal in the long run.

I mean that might not be what they're going for but if they were then I could see some logic in that.

2 hours ago, Loki said:

I've never seen Omega before AEW.  What the fed has taught me  is that he's a lower mid card act who can't beat the top guys.  And he's a geek.

I think it's really shown how genius Gedo was in NJPW in his booking of Omega. The guy should be a badass, winning and being the star of the show. Sadly when left to his own devices he wants to put everyone over because he honestly believes he is a star. 

1 hour ago, Love-Wilcox said:

I think I can see the logic in Omega taking a step back to allow others to be built as stars. If you push him hard now then, outside of Mox and Jericho, who is he beating every week other than a bunch of nobodies. Instead you can spend the time now building guys like Page, Sammy, Luchasaurus etc and then when it's time to push Omega towards the main event he has all of these guys who the audience perceive as stars to go over which in turn helps Omega seem like a bigger deal in the long run.

I mean that might not be what they're going for but if they were then I could see some logic in that.

Fine if he is a star but he isn't. Not outside the bubble of people who have seen him before. I was a huge fan in NJPW but if I'd never seen him until AEW if be wondering why he was seen as a great. Also did Khan hire him on the basis he would be Japan Omega? 

1 hour ago, Love-Wilcox said:

I think I can see the logic in Omega taking a step back to allow others to be built as stars. If you push him hard now then, outside of Mox and Jericho, who is he beating every week other than a bunch of nobodies. Instead you can spend the time now building guys like Page, Sammy, Luchasaurus

Hmm... How exactly would Kenny Omega being presented/booked as a star rather than a mid-level geek have hurt any of those three? 

Jericho has limited time left in the ring and is clearly motivated as fuck. Mox is the same but with more years left in the ring. They are the two biggest stars and Omega has spent years battering himself in Japan. Not hard to understand why they’d let Omega take it easy for a while before having him go back to the top of the card. Nakamura had done the same, but without actually going back up the card.

Edited by UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members

Why are people equating being booked to look like a prick with taking it easy and not smashing your body up? They’re two completely different things. From what I’ve seen Omega has booked himself to lose loads but he’s still been doing similar matches to what he used to do in Japan. Smashing his nose up in that first Jericho match, chucking himself into railings in the Pac match, doing fucking Phoenix Splashes onto the exposed wooden boards against Mox, landing face-first, this isn’t a case of Kenny, “taking it easy,” or preserving his body. It’s about him and his mates being geeks who were too scared to push themselves as the top stars out of fear of morons on Twitter accusing them of burying others.

Edited by Supremo

I didn’t watch any of his Japan stuff, so I’m just going off what everyone else here is saying about him. I was under the impression his matches hadn’t been as good or physically demanding. Is it just a case of him doing some nerdy things and not winning all the time then?

59 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Is it just a case of him doing some nerdy things and not winning all the time then?

It's not an easy thing by any means but it's certainly possible to book him a lot better than they have, keep him looking like a star BUT also not have him booked over the entire roster. He doesn't have to be the focal point every week in order to look as good as he did in Japan. Sadly not only have they failed to sell him to people that aren't aware of his previous stature, but he's fallen in the eyes of a lot who have followed him.