Merzbow Posted January 18, 2020 Posted January 18, 2020 4 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said: The Bunny I mean she's not great but to say she's not an athlete is just mean.
King Pitcos Posted January 18, 2020 Posted January 18, 2020 7 minutes ago, DEF said: Yeah if that was the case then it's absolutely on me. But I honestly don't think they evolved his character in the matches at all. But you've admitted you weren't paying attention to them. The Bray Wyatt feud was all about Rollins going over to the dark side. It's one of the few strengths of Bray Wyatt's character, he is a great facilitator at times of corrupting an opponent and leading to a heel turn. It just usually never goes anywhere because they don't want to turn the cash cows into baddies. It was an intriguing part of Bray's feud with Cena a few years ago, where he was tempting Cena to be an absolute cunt to get the job done - but JC didn't need to. But with Rollins, Bray's plan worked, as Seth was resorting to all sorts of evil shite to survive and win the cell match. It doesn't necessarily make for a great match, but it certainly moves a man to evil. The Braun Strowman match at Clash of Champions had elements of it as well, with Rollins having to bring out his old Authority finisher to get the job done. Even stuff in that period like the Raw match with Humberto was Seth evaluating his own hubris and humility - firstly underestimating the upstart's ability to hang with him, and then getting a bit pissed off with it and having to pull out the big guns to win, then stomping away from the ring in a mood before going back in uncertain of whether to shake the kid's hand or lamp him.
Paid Members DEF Posted January 18, 2020 Paid Members Posted January 18, 2020 7 minutes ago, King Pitcos said: But you've admitted you weren't paying attention to them. The Bray Wyatt feud was all about Rollins going over to the dark side. It's one of the few strengths of Bray Wyatt's character, he is a great facilitator at times of corrupting an opponent and leading to a heel turn. It just usually never goes anywhere because they don't want to turn the cash cows into baddies. It was an intriguing part of Bray's feud with Cena a few years ago, where he was tempting Cena to be an absolute cunt to get the job done - but JC didn't need to. But with Rollins, Bray's plan worked, as Seth was resorting to all sorts of evil shite to survive and win the cell match. It doesn't necessarily make for a great match, but it certainly moves a man to evil. The Braun Strowman match at Clash of Champions had elements of it as well, with Rollins having to bring out his old Authority finisher to get the job done. Even stuff in that period like the Raw match with Humberto was Seth evaluating his own hubris and humility - firstly underestimating the upstart's ability to hang with him, and then getting a bit pissed off with it and having to pull out the big guns to win, then stomping away from the ring in a mood before going back in uncertain of whether to shake the kid's hand or lamp him. Well not exactly. I said it's possible I wasn't paying attention more as a joke on how dull that stuff was than a statement of fact.
King Pitcos Posted January 18, 2020 Posted January 18, 2020 13 minutes ago, DEF said: Well not exactly. I said it's possible I wasn't paying attention more as a joke on how dull that stuff was than a statement of fact. In which case, "RaW dOeSn'T tElL sToRiEs" was probably a bit of a stupid thing to post when you could've just said "It was more exciting than Raw" or some such. Also, I'm annoyed that we're several months into the show now and Kenny Omega and Chris Jericho are still using the same finisher.
Paid Members DEF Posted January 18, 2020 Paid Members Posted January 18, 2020 (edited) 3 minutes ago, King Pitcos said: In which case, "RaW dOeSn'T tElL sToRiEs" was probably a bit of a stupid thing to post when you could've just said "It was more exciting than Raw" or some such. Also, I'm annoyed that we're several months into the show now and Kenny Omega and Chris Jericho are still using the same finisher. Ok I correct myself. RAW doesn't tell stories most of the time in most of their matches. EDIT - because I was being juvenile Edited January 18, 2020 by DEF
Snitsky's back acne Posted January 18, 2020 Posted January 18, 2020 5 minutes ago, DEF said: Ok I correct myself. RAW doesn't tell stories most of the time in most of their matches. EDIT - because I was being juvenile Except they absolutely do.
Paid Members DEF Posted January 18, 2020 Paid Members Posted January 18, 2020 Just now, Snitsky's back acne said: Except they absolutely do. Yeah, perhaps it's that they tell the same stories in the exact same way as they have done for so long that it feels like they don't tell stories in most of the midcard and undercard matches. I've been watching so long that there's a very good chance I'm just numb to those stories so it feels like they don't tell stories in those matches.
King Pitcos Posted January 18, 2020 Posted January 18, 2020 WWE's storytelling in their undercard matches is incredible. Well, it could be, for all I know. I'm not going to sit there and watch a Ricochet vs Mojo Rawley match to find out.
Paid Members DEF Posted January 18, 2020 Paid Members Posted January 18, 2020 1 minute ago, King Pitcos said: WWE's storytelling in their undercard matches is incredible. Well, it could be, for all I know. I'm not going to sit there and watch a Ricochet vs Mojo Rawley match to find out. You're a smarter man than me.
UK Kat Von D Posted January 19, 2020 Posted January 19, 2020 11 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said: Except they absolutely do. They have some thin badly fleshed out stories that don’t go anywhere and occasionally there will be a big angle. The thing about WWE having simple caricatures is spot on. The most effort they have put in with their storytelling lately is with the weird Lana thing. The Rollins turn was an absolute mess, the HIAC was just the icing on the cake of months of shit booking. Favourite part was the Bond villain chair in the back of that car
Snitsky's back acne Posted January 19, 2020 Posted January 19, 2020 Okay, to clarify - saying you dont like the stories or think they are good is one thing but in the ring they absolutely do tell stories. Aleister Black and Buddy Murphy was played out in the ring with Buddy frustrated yet convinced he could beat Black and not being able to. Rey - Andrade has all been about the young Lucha guy disrespecting the Lucha legend by removing his mask etc. Again, whether they appeal to you or not is a matter of personal preference but to say WWE dont tell stories is ridiculous. Also both WWE and AEW are dependant on caricatures - thats American mainstream wrestling. Jericho's current incarnation is brilliant but an absolute caricature. Its not a negative unless you think its shit - which again is a matter of personal taste.
UK Kat Von D Posted January 19, 2020 Posted January 19, 2020 7 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said: Okay, to clarify - saying you dont like the stories or think they are good is one thing but in the ring they absolutely do tell stories. Can that apply to AEW as well or does that logic only apply to WWE?
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted January 19, 2020 Awards Moderator Posted January 19, 2020 (edited) The fact that most of the discussion in this thread since Thursday has been about Raw probably means I’m on the right lines when I thought that was a poor episode of Dynamite, with a good main event. It’s been talked about a little bit but Kenny Omega. If he had gone to WWE and been portrayed in exactly the same way as he is in AEW there’d have been outrage. Mount Demwan would have erupted and spewed everywhere. I thought Kenny Omega was meant to be the best wrestler on the planet. Why is he fucking about in the opening spotfest? I know it was fun as spotfests go, I know there’s a story brewing with him and Page, but it is bringing Omega down to a level someone with his ability should never be at. Former ‘best in the worlds’ like Benoit and Angle weren’t always the main event, but they always came across as people who knew they were the best. Omega in AEW, to me, is more “hey, I could be the best, but look how much fun I’m having instead”. I’m annoyed by it and I’m not even a huge Kenny fan, I don’t get why more people don’t feel the same. Edited January 19, 2020 by HarmonicGenerator
King Pitcos Posted January 19, 2020 Posted January 19, 2020 1 hour ago, Snitsky's back acne said: Also both WWE and AEW are dependant on caricatures - thats American mainstream wrestling. Jericho's current incarnation is brilliant but an absolute caricature. Its not a negative unless you think its shit - which again is a matter of personal taste. False. WWE being a caricature is spot on, whereas AEW is real sports feel where the characters come off as legit shootfighter athletes with quirks. And if you paid attention to the stories they’re telling on Marko Stunt’s Tumblr or YouTube or something in the ring, you’d know that. Go suck a blood money covered dick in Saudi Arabia, you dork.
iPumaPants Posted January 19, 2020 Posted January 19, 2020 28 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said: The fact that most of the discussion in this thread since Thursday has been about Raw probably means I’m on the right lines when I thought that was a poor episode of Dynamite, with a good main event. It’s been talked about a little bit but Kenny Omega. If he had gone to WWE and been portrayed in exactly the same way as he is in AEW there’d have been outrage. Mount Demwan would have erupted and spewed everywhere. I thought Kenny Omega was meant to be the best wrestler on the planet. Why is he fucking about in the opening spotfest? I know it was fun as spotfests go, I know there’s a story brewing with him and Page, but it is bringing Omega down to a level someone with his ability should never be at. Former ‘best in the worlds’ like Benoit and Angle weren’t always the main event, but they always came across as people who knew they were the best. Omega in AEW, to me, is more “hey, I could be the best, but look how much fun I’m having instead”. I’m annoyed by it and I’m not even a huge Kenny fan, I don’t get why more people don’t feel the same. Kenny spoke to Sports Illustrated and said "There are certain things that I’m still easing into, myself. It’s a different role in a universe with a different set of rules. I’ve purposely taken a backseat as an actor/performer. I wouldn’t say a back backseat, but I’m not at the forefront, which I think was an expectation from people–and I’m happy to be that way because I think we have so many stars that deserve a chance to show what they’ve got”. I guess he just doesn't feel the need to be the Kenny Omega we saw in Japan. And I get that, I think. He's been busting his ass for years, having high impact, long, great matches, and now he's got a great gig with AEW, where he can sit back a little, rack in some money, still put on a good match, and help guys like Adam Page shine.
Recommended Posts