The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I think he falls into that thing of being a big man that wrestles too much like the small dudes at times, just because you can flip 30 times a match doesn't mean you should. He's talented as fuck tho.

Yup. Seems pretty injury prone but might be his style that needs adjusting as he sometimes seemed to be trying too hard to fit in when all he really needs is a veteran to tell him to stop all the crazy shit.  

Not my favourite wrestler and not sure he ever suited being the top guy in Impact, so doesn't feel like as big a loss as many who have left the company in the past. But he should thrive in a bigger roster and a product with more eyeballs as there aren't enough steroid freaks in wrestling today. 

On a completely unrelated note, what is the deal with AEW contracts? How is it that the likes of Jimmy Havoc appear on MLW and AEW yet that's not the case with others?

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

While I'm iffy about them using alcoholism in a storyline, they're doing some interesting stuff on Being The Elite, which is clearly tied into the main TV story between Hangman and Omega.

Basically, Page is drinking more heavily, although it's clearly because of his anxiety, depression and imposter syndrome. He was at a point where he could have been helped (having had a schmaltzy but awesome pep talk from Jimmy Valiant), and he reached out to Kenny. Kenny's annoyed, but wants to help (by making sure Kenny gets back to the hotel safe)... but then he gets distracted by the Bucks and forgets. We finish off with Hangman clearly feeling abandoned and rejected, looking for Kenny.

They're clearly putting some of this into the Dynamite story, and they really could do with recapping more in the show. It's growing on me though, and I'm liking the depth it's giving Page - even if it's just a heel turn, there's more thought to it than most.

I know BTE gets a bad rep on here, but I do find it rewards in the long run. I enjoy most of the stories they do, even while the skits are hit-and-miss. The Dark Order stuff on there is more fun too, with it being a bit of a whodunnit as to who the members are.

I'm not sure how they can integrate it more fully onto Dynamite, but it could really help their storytelling.

EDIT: Caution to anyone starting - the first section is an absolute wind-up. While it fits into what they do, and I find it funny, it's going to piss some off. Which I also find funny, to be fair.

Edited by Chris B

20 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Yup. Seems pretty injury prone but might be his style that needs adjusting as he sometimes seemed to be trying too hard to fit in when all he really needs is a veteran to tell him to stop all the crazy shit.  

Not my favourite wrestler and not sure he ever suited being the top guy in Impact, so doesn't feel like as big a loss as many who have left the company in the past. But he should thrive in a bigger roster and a product with more eyeballs as there aren't enough steroid freaks in wrestling today. 

On a completely unrelated note, what is the deal with AEW contracts? How is it that the likes of Jimmy Havoc appear on MLW and AEW yet that's not the case with others?

It's been announced today that MJF has now finished up with MLW and will be working exclusively with AEW.  I'd assume that Havoc will shortly be finishing with MLW also.

• Paid Members

It's quite the opposite for Janela, as he's opened up to doing some limited indie dates. He was one of the first signed up, and we're past the first year anniversary of AEW being officially announced, so maybe his contract has loosened up after the first year? And maybe MJF's was tightened?

Back when AEW was launching, Khan did mention that he wanted to get into a weekend house show circuit, but that hasn't happened yet so a lot of the guys are missing out on those usual payday, hence why you might see more of the lower-card/mid-card hitting some indie dates again.

It’s not entirely my cup of tea, but it can only be good news that they’ve been renewed through to 2023. Well done and all that.

EDIT: they’ve plans for a second show too. Perhaps like “Dark” but an Xplosion type version?

Edited by Daaaaaad!

• Paid Members

Let’s just hope another show on national TV doesn’t mean even longer matches now that they haven’t got to squeeze everything into two hours. They could do far worse than to fill the extra time with all the great recap and montage videos they put online.

I’m already sick of the knobheads on Twitter trying to use this news to suggest AEW is some huge success that’s without fault. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good news and overall I usually enjoy Dynamite, but you’d have to be either blind or married to Brandi Rhodes to not see some of the major problems they continue to have and desperately need to address.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Let’s just hope another show on national TV doesn’t mean even longer matches now that they haven’t got to squeeze everything into two hours. They could do far worse than to fill the extra time with all the great recap and montage videos they put online.

Definitely this. I'm hesitant over a second show, to be honest - a one-hour recap show would be preferable, mixing match highlights and 'Road to...' stuff. That stuff needs to be on TV.

4 minutes ago, iMPACt! said:

The article touts reaching 32 million viewers over all platforms. What does that mean/how is that calculated?

If you add up all their streams/views/ratings since they started it’s probably about that in total. It can’t be anywhere near that many individuals watching, but a total number since they started sounds reasonable