The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

Second time I’ve been at a show at this venue and was disappointed with view. Don’t understand why they don’t put anything on the tron, being that it’s live on TNT.

it is an epic venue though. Outdoors but under cover. Very cool! 

• Awards Moderator
On 1/3/2020 at 7:42 PM, The King of Old School said:

When does this go up on the ITV hub these days?

I think it’s late night on a Friday they broadcast it on ITV4. It’s always on the Hub by Saturday morning which is when I watch it.

Really enjoyed the Cody/Darby match on this episode. Thought the main event was good too, finally made the Elite feel like the big deal they probably should be (though I could have done without their goofy entrance beforehand). Like that the Dark Order beatdown has been retconned as an issue with the Elite rather than the DO actually being any good.  

• Paid Members

I really like the look of this arena they're in, plus the crowd seemed a lot hotter. Also loved seeing Arn. I need to get listening to his podcast.

So the win-loss have been reset, but historical record still applies and the rankings are still in effect.

Just so we're all clear.

45 minutes ago, Loki said:

So the win-loss have been reset, but historical record still applies and the rankings are still in effect.

Just so we're all clear.

Sounds like the most confusing thing ever, how is anyone supposed to watch wrestling with such a complicated system 

Has anybody ever done a points based league in wrestling? Three for a win, 1 for a draw, that sort of thing? There was the Bound For Glory series a few years back but that's the only one that springs to mind. I think it was week one or two of Dynamite there was this ace graphic that showed where everybody ranked that I thought was really cool. I like the idea of JR saying mid-show "Tony, what does that win do for Janella in the table" or whatever and gives a visual idea of who sits where, who is next in line for a title shot and whatnot. It's a plot device that thy can bring in or remove as and when they can be arsed without having a win-loss record plastered all over the screen showing how much everyone loses. Or it could be shit. And to stop Dem from counting up and saying "Suchandsuch is actually in forth but the table says they're third" you count house shows, Dark, any old shite to manipulate the table to suit the booking.

Edited by cobra_gordo

• Paid Members

CHIKARA attempted a mad league team system a few years back, where the roster was divided into teams, and each team had to face every other team in various combinations of singles, tag and trios matches. It was incomprehensible.

I just don't think that level of stats-heavy analysis gels well with a story-driven form like wrestling. It's something that requires punditry and poring over league tables, which just isn't how wrestling is structured as a TV format. 

That's sort of why I'd say use it as a plot device as and when. If you're faced with an injury just say "Lets look at the rankings and see who is the number one contender". Just trot it out as and when or if you need to use another trick to get someone over or build them up. I think the reason a lot of folk dislike the win/loss records on screen is that it brings in this stat which for legit sports is a talking point but for wrestling makes you say "How has this fella lost 16 times but he's wrestling for the belt"/

• Paid Members

A league table/rankings makes a little more sense than overall win/loss records, because wrestling is more about short-term than long-term success. If a wrestler is on a ten match winning streak after a rough year, that's impressive, but not so much when a graphic pops up saying "10 wins, 52 losses".

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

CHIKARA attempted a mad league team system a few years back, where the roster was divided into teams, and each team had to face every other team in various combinations of singles, tag and trios matches. It was incomprehensible.

I just don't think that level of stats-heavy analysis gels well with a story-driven form like wrestling. It's something that requires punditry and poring over league tables, which just isn't how wrestling is structured as a TV format. 

I tend to agree with this, unless the presentation was drastically altered (in both aesthetic and format terms) from the traditional wrestling product. I'm not sure how you could introduce an effective league table type scenario outside of a G1-type tournament.

With Chikara in mind, one thing I really enjoyed was their old system of three points gets you a tag title shot, with one point gained for each win in a row. It's simple, but it seemed a really effective way to create new challengers relatively quickly and tell longer, over-arching stories within the division.