MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

5 hours ago, Supremo said:

People thinking Marty Scurll or Luke Harper are going to be revealed as some type of Higher Power figure behind Dark Order are probably the same people who were convinced Charlotte wasn’t going to be in the main event of Wrestlemania and that Baron Corbin wouldn’t really be facing Kurt Angle in his retirement match.

Of no real relevance to discussion, but this has reminded me of it - Marty Scurll was originally meant to be the leader of and man behind The Faceless faction in Progress several years back, a gimmick not entirely dissimilar to The Dark Order. It made absolute fuck all sense and the gimmick was getting shit on before any reveal had occurred so he wisely bailed on it and the whole thing got confusingly retconned.

Anyway, as you were.

Can Marty Scurll work AEW at the same time as NWA?  Surely his contract with NWA would prohibit that?

Darby Allin should be the only person on the roster with a "dark" edge to him, and Pentagon if he goes singles again. The Three B's can keep the look but do a sex thing, Pepper being the little gimp.

The way Scurll’s situation seems to be going on forever, with ROH continuing to announce him for more dates and now the NWA thing, I wonder if he’ll ever come to AEW.

Six months ago, it seemed inevitable. Now though, I can’t figure out what the deal is. Has the bloom coming off the rose for AEW soured Scurll on coming in? Or has Tony Khan been told by his dad to tighten the purse and stop signing every fucker to long-term, high-money deals?

Marty mentioned in an interview that he liked keeping people guessing, so maybe he’s only with NWA up until the next PPV at the end of January, with plans to come to AEW in time for their PPV in February?

I’m going to be livid if it comes out that AEW aren’t wiling to pay him what he’s worth when they’ve got such obvious dross on their roster who could be cut tomorrow and no-one would notice or care.

Must say that I enjoyed the setting for this week's episode. I understand that the complex is owned by the Khan's, but its the type of setting that looks nothing like the identikit arenas used by the WWE and looks more like a Nitro episode (which is no bad thing in my book).

However, any idea why Schiavone wasn't on commentary?

Because Schiavone is the higher power of The Dark Order! 😲

The whole thing has been saved.

Second time I’ve been at a show at this venue and was disappointed with view. Don’t understand why they don’t put anything on the tron, being that it’s live on TNT.

it is an epic venue though. Outdoors but under cover. Very cool! 

9 hours ago, garynysmon said:

However, any idea why Schiavone wasn't on commentary?

He does radio for the Georgia Bulldogs, who were playing in the Sugar Bowl.

On 1/3/2020 at 7:42 PM, The King of Old School said:

When does this go up on the ITV hub these days?

I think it’s late night on a Friday they broadcast it on ITV4. It’s always on the Hub by Saturday morning which is when I watch it.

Really enjoyed the Cody/Darby match on this episode. Thought the main event was good too, finally made the Elite feel like the big deal they probably should be (though I could have done without their goofy entrance beforehand). Like that the Dark Order beatdown has been retconned as an issue with the Elite rather than the DO actually being any good.  

I really like the look of this arena they're in, plus the crowd seemed a lot hotter. Also loved seeing Arn. I need to get listening to his podcast.

So the win-loss have been reset, but historical record still applies and the rankings are still in effect.

Just so we're all clear.

45 minutes ago, Loki said:

So the win-loss have been reset, but historical record still applies and the rankings are still in effect.

Just so we're all clear.

Sounds like the most confusing thing ever, how is anyone supposed to watch wrestling with such a complicated system 

Has anybody ever done a points based league in wrestling? Three for a win, 1 for a draw, that sort of thing? There was the Bound For Glory series a few years back but that's the only one that springs to mind. I think it was week one or two of Dynamite there was this ace graphic that showed where everybody ranked that I thought was really cool. I like the idea of JR saying mid-show "Tony, what does that win do for Janella in the table" or whatever and gives a visual idea of who sits where, who is next in line for a title shot and whatnot. It's a plot device that thy can bring in or remove as and when they can be arsed without having a win-loss record plastered all over the screen showing how much everyone loses. Or it could be shit. And to stop Dem from counting up and saying "Suchandsuch is actually in forth but the table says they're third" you count house shows, Dark, any old shite to manipulate the table to suit the booking.

Edited by cobra_gordo

New Japan's G-1 is the closest thing to it, and it works fantastically. The Bound For Glory Series was a hysterically bad take on it, most famous for Crimson being undefeated in the whole tournament and still only coming in fourth place.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke