The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

If it meant all the shitty cults joined forces and the show was no longer riddled with separate factions all looking and doing the same, I’d be happy for it to be revealed that Brandi Rhodes and The Bunny are co-Higher Powers.

See, I’d thought that initially. If that happens though, there’s less chance of the dead-in-the-water Nightmare Collective disappearing quickly.

The Dark Order aren’t quite dead-in-the-water yet. They’re treading water with their hands bound, but they’ve not quite drowned. There’s a small chance the gimmick can be salvaged.

My worry is that all the ‘dark’ factions exist simultaneously for a reason, we’ll eventually see a mega-faction and that will play a big part in storylines, bogging the show down. 

Of course, it could be - and most likely is - down to a lack of a singular vision. 

But yeah, the fear exists...

What are the chances Janela disappears from TV for a month and the angle’s concluded on Twitter? I think there’s something in him that they’ve failed to tap into, and this stop-start stuff is doing him no favours. Maybe him and Ford can use the reality of their relationship to squeeze something juicy out of this. Good luck with Kip Sabian though. The guy is useless. The cocktail stick, the Lennon shades, the valet . . . Dress him up how you like, he’s the most vanilla bloke in wrestling history.

As for Dynamite, easily the best since Full Gear. Thank god we’re finally finding out who the Ellite are. The opening video was a fine way to bounce back for them and wash away some stink.

Hopefully they tie together all these crap fetish groups and the ‘higher power’ is Chris Daniels or somebody equally unimportant, so this Dark Order/Nightmare thing can be beaten and quietly forgotten about.

There isn’t enough of singles match Cody on these shows. Him Vs Darby Allin was fantastic. Blew everything else away and is probably the best Dynamite match to date. Fat Arn isn’t quiet the winning visual that Brandi is, but hell, I LOVED the use of him for the finish. Classic, basic stuff. What’s old is new again.

Riho couldn’t drop the title soon enough. She’d be great as the scrappy underdog that gets battered about with an occasional upset victory. But as a practically unbeatable champion on a Brock Lesnar schedule? Nope. Baffling they didn’t make Shida their first  champion when she’s been there all along.

Sammy Guevara damn near stole the show this week. That face on him! What a wonderful, cocky little prick. Him and MJF as AEWs young brash heels should be awesome to see grow over the years. The two of them getting stuck in and jawing with the Jacksonville crowd was a joy to watch. 

Loved MJF and his stips. MJF beating a conflicted, humiliated Cody with the strap ten times over already sounds like wrestling segment gold. 

It feels like they still haven’t tapped into how hot Moxley could be. Jericho was hilarious and king-sized as usual, and I get what they were going for, but the ending to that segment was shit. Moxley came out as a house of fire but struggled a bit too much with Trent, and finished off with a completely limp and deflating response to Jericho. I’m looking forward to them sparking his jets this year. 

Main event was the usual Young Bucks silly bollocks. I’ve really cooled on the Lucha Bros. A shame, I really wanna like them but they’re even more annoying than the Bucks. Endless posing, random no-selling and some flat out embarrassing botches. 

Finally a bit of something about Adam Page. First time he’s came across as someone worth investing in. Enjoyed him in the booth with his drink, feeling sorry for himself. I’d love it if they had the balls to go with a full-on alcoholism story line. The Twitter response would be something to behold.

Tazz fits right in. I’d take him over Excalibur any day.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

57 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

When does this go up on the ITV hub these days?

I've given up waiting on itv now. They don't even bother on the @itvwrestling twitter account. Like they've given up themselves. It's on ITV4 Friday nights though. Possibly

5 hours ago, Supremo said:

People thinking Marty Scurll or Luke Harper are going to be revealed as some type of Higher Power figure behind Dark Order are probably the same people who were convinced Charlotte wasn’t going to be in the main event of Wrestlemania and that Baron Corbin wouldn’t really be facing Kurt Angle in his retirement match.

Of no real relevance to discussion, but this has reminded me of it - Marty Scurll was originally meant to be the leader of and man behind The Faceless faction in Progress several years back, a gimmick not entirely dissimilar to The Dark Order. It made absolute fuck all sense and the gimmick was getting shit on before any reveal had occurred so he wisely bailed on it and the whole thing got confusingly retconned.

Anyway, as you were.

• Paid Members

The way Scurll’s situation seems to be going on forever, with ROH continuing to announce him for more dates and now the NWA thing, I wonder if he’ll ever come to AEW.

Six months ago, it seemed inevitable. Now though, I can’t figure out what the deal is. Has the bloom coming off the rose for AEW soured Scurll on coming in? Or has Tony Khan been told by his dad to tighten the purse and stop signing every fucker to long-term, high-money deals?

Marty mentioned in an interview that he liked keeping people guessing, so maybe he’s only with NWA up until the next PPV at the end of January, with plans to come to AEW in time for their PPV in February?

I’m going to be livid if it comes out that AEW aren’t wiling to pay him what he’s worth when they’ve got such obvious dross on their roster who could be cut tomorrow and no-one would notice or care.

• Paid Members

Must say that I enjoyed the setting for this week's episode. I understand that the complex is owned by the Khan's, but its the type of setting that looks nothing like the identikit arenas used by the WWE and looks more like a Nitro episode (which is no bad thing in my book).

However, any idea why Schiavone wasn't on commentary?