The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

4 hours ago, DEF said:

I thought Bash at the Beach was a vast improvement on last week. The opener was a cracking spot fest. The Jericho/Mox angle was tremendous. The kind of thing that I wouldn't show my 9 year old but if it happened when she was there her reaction would be everything you want in a angle like that. MJF tag was great because it told a story outside of the ropey mechanics. Darby Vs PAC was belting. Ok the women's tag was rubbish but even that was telling a story. So far this year Dynamite is 2-1 in my book. I'm really looking forward to next week on the cruise. Honestly I barely remember the last time I even thought RAW told a story.

I can’t agree with that, and I’d go as far as to say outside of what Jericho and anyone with Rhodes in their name are doing, you could very easily apply that comment to AEW for most of their existence. We’re several months in, and I honestly couldn’t tell you anything about who The Young Bucks or even Kenny Omega are. 

Raw, whether you like what they’re doing or not, are definitely telling stories right now. You have Seth’s rise as a heel, the Lana/Lashley/Rusev fiasco, the resurgence of Rey Mysterio. Stories that are far more obvious than what AEW is doing for me.

If you take Jericho and, to a lesser extent, Cody out of the mix, AEW hasn’t done a lot of storytelling with its main players.

• Paid Members

Ok I'm not being clear. RAW does tell a story but the way they tell a story is mostly through 20 minute monologues and maybe one of same angles they have been doing for 20 years. The matches are by and large completely inconsequential to the storys. Where as in AEW in the opening match alone they were telling a story. 

Like Seth for instance. It's not like he really told the story of turning heel over time in the ring. He got booed because he has X-Pac heat then one day they said fuck it and did two weeks of twenty minute promos and he twated Kevin Owens with a pipe. And that's one of the better stories they have told in ages. But it didn't really happen in his matches.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

So your point is more that while Raw does tell stories, you don't like them or how they do them. That's fair.

Yep for sure but in the first post I really meant RAW doesn't tell a story through the matches. But basically yep that's what I meant.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Seth Rollins becoming a baddie was definitely foreshadowed in matches. You might not like it, but it was clear at least as far back as Hell in a Cell that he was fighting against the necessary changes he was going through.

If you say so. It's possible I was day dreaming through his matches as the fans booed him out the building and he mucked around with the fiend

8 hours ago, RedRooster said:

We’re several months in, and I honestly couldn’t tell you anything about who The Young Bucks or even Kenny Omega are. 

On the last show in the opening tag match we saw that Bucks are mates with Omega and Page. The Young Bucks did most the work towards the end, then Page stole the victory. He instantly started drinking which he has been doing more since his fall from grace against Jericho. Omega had the same issue coming in as the ace and falling short, but has picked himself up because he can see his mate needs him. He had his back and calmed down an issue he started against SCU and they are wrestling next week for the title. 

8 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Stories that are far more obvious than what AEW is doing for me.

Well yes, AEW’s stories require a bit more attention. They are hardly too confusing to follow though, I don’t see how anyone can be confused about who any of the characters are on the show.

1 hour ago, UK Kat Von D said:

On the last show in the opening tag match we saw that Bucks are mates with Omega and Page. The Young Bucks did most the work towards the end, then Page stole the victory. He instantly started drinking which he has been doing more since his fall from grace against Jericho. Omega had the same issue coming in as the ace and falling short, but has picked himself up because he can see his mate needs him. He had his back and calmed down an issue he started against SCU and they are wrestling next week for the title. 

I think you’ve kind of proven my point, that tells me nothing about their characters. 

Say what you like about the WWE tag team division, I can tell you who Tucker and Otis are and I know what The Usos and New Day are all about. The top teams are clearly defined characters. The booking can still be atrocious, but at least the character work is there.

A similar issue exists with the women’s division. It’s essentially been a collection of bad matches so far, with very little character work outside of Brandi Rhodes.

If you like AEW in its current form then power to you. If AEW succeeds and grows in its current form then power to them. I think it’s seriously lacked in story and memorable moments. Good wrestling alone isn’t enough for me, that’s not hard to find right now.

I want to enjoy the show the way you do, believe me, but I find it incredibly frustrating.

I think the characters featured in WWE all lean towards caricatures whereas the characters presented by AEW (and others such as New Japan) are more grounded in reality. Put simply, WWE guys are superheroes whereas AEW guys are basically just athletes with quirks. Of course there's some crossover but that seems to be the main difference from where I'm sitting. I don't think one way is right or wrong but obviously some fans prefer a certain style over the other which is fair enough but I don't think it's fair to say AEW doesn't have any characters at all.

• Paid Members

Pretty unfair to say AEW’s Kenny Omega doesn’t have a character. He’s a gamer/internet/cosplay dork who loses more than he wins and isn’t as good as he supposedly was in Japan. He’s also a shit friend, where despite being a Vice President of the company he doesn’t really do anything whenever his mates are violently attacked. Frankly, I don’t blame Adam Page for choosing booze over him.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

Well yes, Raw’s stories do require a bit of paying attention. 

Yeah if that was the case then it's absolutely on me. But I honestly don't think they evolved his character in the matches at all. It was just that the fans booed him any which way.

1 hour ago, Love-Wilcox said:

I think the characters featured in WWE all lean towards caricatures whereas the characters presented by AEW (and others such as New Japan) are more grounded in reality. Put simply, WWE guys are superheroes whereas AEW guys are basically just athletes with quirks. 

Luchasaurus, Kris 'The Alien' Statlander, The Bunny and Pentagon all say 'Hi'.