The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

What is the weird fixation in wrestling with using the word “psychology” rather than story, narrative, motivation etc the way one would when discussing other forms of drama? Is it an old kayfabe thing from when they didn’t want to give away that it was fake?

3 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

What is the weird fixation in wrestling with using the word “psychology” rather than story, narrative, motivation etc the way one would when discussing other forms of drama? Is it an old kayfabe thing from when they didn’t want to give away that it was fake?

For me psychology means just that. Getting people drawn in, emotionally invested, hanging onto every near fall and twist. A little different to a story. 

• Paid Members

Half the time I think people just say, "psychology," without even thinking or caring about what it means. They just know there's a certain type of wrestling they're not supposed to like because Meltzer or Cornette told them, so whilst pretending they don't like it and not really knowing how to articulate as much, they just attribute it to, " bad psychology."

That opening four-way tag on this show was the perfect example of it. Everyone banging on about bad psychology and acrobatics, tagging Cornette on Twitter so they can go, "LOL It's just flips!" and feel all smug if he chucks them a like or retweet. It's not just flips though, is it? It's not like the lads are out there just doing somersaults onto crash-pads without rhyme or reason. They're attempting to win by hitting high-flying, acrobatic, impactful moves and counters that are completely in keeping with the accepted reality of pro-wrestling. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but that doesn't automatically mean, "bad psychology." Give me this type of match over a dead slow, boring match where everyone expertly works on a body part~! any day of the week. If anything, I thought they did a really good job in that match continuing to tease Adam Page's turn and building up the tension among The Elite, whilst still providing a fun sprint of a match with a fucking brilliant Orange Cassidy comedy spot in the middle. So glad they've started featuring Cassidy more on Dynamite rather than Dark. He's the best.

I've no problem watching long matches on TV provided they're fun, exciting matches or involve characters I care about. That's why this Brandi thing sucks so bad. Shit characters, shit storylines, shit matches. Look at that Mel girl, for example. Who the fuck even is she? Has it ever been explained? At least most characters in pro-wrestling start with the default of, "this person is a professional wrestler," and then they build from there, but that hasn't even been the case with Mel! She was just a woman in the crowd who wanted a haircut and now she's having matches. I think JR sort of half mentioned, "it looks like she has wrestling skills," during the match, but come on! I know they've got a fetish for spooky and mysterious factions but there's no excuse when the Nightmare Collective's entire act is mostly built around promos and vignettes to not have characters more fleshed out than "Jericho's mate from the 90s," and, "woman who wanted a trim."

The way Awesome Kong's aura has plummeted for being associated with this shit is really depressing, too. When she originally came in it felt like such a big deal. Her staredown with Ajar Kong was great. I know the rumours are that she's a physical wreck these days so can't really go, but still. A few power spots and squash matches is all she needed to continue her momentum. I'm sure Riho or one of the other small girls could've easily ran around her and bumped enough to get a good match out of her. Now though, she feels absolutely worthless.

• Paid Members
On 1/15/2020 at 7:06 PM, JNLister said:

Observer reporting $45 million a year deal, with TNT having an option to renew in 2024 at a "significantly increased price." No word on whether they are still getting a cut of the ad revenue. Even without it, you'd have to assume they can produce the TV for well under that money, so they're pretty much in guaranteed profit even before any ticket sales and PPV profits.

Update on this: they are still getting the ad revenue, but they aren't getting the production costs covered any more. And the $45 million a year is the average, but it'll start out lower, rise each year, and end up higher.

Based on the current ratings levels and taking into account the production costs, it works out as TNT getting $18 million more a year than the current deal, which means they'll be profitable this year.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Supremo said:

If anything, I thought they did a really good job in that match continuing to tease Adam Page's turn and building up the tension among The Elite, whilst still providing a fun sprint of a match with a fucking brilliant Orange Cassidy comedy spot in the middle.

JR genuinely cracking up repeating Excalibur's "He's assessing!" was great. Came across so authentic. 

Holy shit, but Darby Allin/Pac was good. Brutal as hell, and Allin needs some wins, but so much fun.

• Paid Members

Tony Khan's been getting more hands on with the booking post Christmas, by all accounts. I knew nobody was daft enough to let the Young Bucks and Kenny Omega's vanity shite go on much longer. You can see a difference in the shows the last few weeks compared to that vomit they coughed up at the end of last year.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Tony Khan's been getting more hands on with the booking post Christmas, by all accounts. I knew nobody was daft enough to let the Young Bucks and Kenny Omega's vanity shite go on much longer. You can see a difference in the shows the last few weeks compared to that vomit they coughed up at the end of last year.

I haven't watched this week's show yet so my earlier point may be a bit outdated. 

But some of those tag matches since Dynamite's debut have been appalling, meaningless spot fests, so I sincerely hope that is the case.

2 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Someone had to get a hold of the product.

Extended deal or not, there’s too much at stake to let undisciplined people (Bucks and Kenny mainly) have a laugh with a National/Worldwide company.

I, too, noticed a largely improved product from 1st January. The women’s division needs looking at wholesale and the tag division needs focus, but all is not yet lost, it would seem.

2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I haven't watched this week's show yet so my earlier point may be a bit outdated. 

But some of those tag matches since Dynamite's debut have been appalling, meaningless spot fests, so I sincerely hope that is the case.

Sorry. You're out of luck there. 

But there is a bit of story in the match, with Page/The Elite.

• Paid Members

I thought Bash at the Beach was a vast improvement on last week. The opener was a cracking spot fest. The Jericho/Mox angle was tremendous. The kind of thing that I wouldn't show my 9 year old but if it happened when she was there her reaction would be everything you want in a angle like that. MJF tag was great because it told a story outside of the ropey mechanics. Darby Vs PAC was belting. Ok the women's tag was rubbish but even that was telling a story. So far this year Dynamite is 2-1 in my book. I'm really looking forward to next week on the cruise. Honestly I barely remember the last time I even thought RAW told a story.