The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members

There are at least four women in the picture. Not that it matters, what does anyone expect? this forum alone tells us wrestling fans love cartoons, horrific metal music, sniffing knickers, shitting and Eastenders. That they're a weird bunch is a given.

• Paid Members

59 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Why oh why is this stuff not being broadcast on TNT?!

Is it the WWE reasoning of not wanting ten minutes of dead air for the crowd? Not that you couldn't fill that with a dark match or something but I can't think of any other reason why you would put your best stuff on YouTube. Not that YouTube doesn't do numbers but they're global. This stuff needs to hit home runs with your 900k+ viewers domestically too. It seems so obvious.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

Is it the WWE reasoning of not wanting ten minutes of dead air for the crowd? Not that you couldn't fill that with a dark match or something but I can't think of any other reason why you would put your best stuff on YouTube. Not that YouTube doesn't do numbers but they're global. This stuff needs to hit home runs with your 900k+ viewers domestically too. It seems so obvious.

I imagine it's a combination of that, and a (I assume) mistaken belief that fans will seek out the supplementary content even when nothing on the TV show is telling them to. 

This week will be an interesting one as the show was taped, for what I believe would be the first time? Conventional WWE wisdom is that taped shows don't draw as well as live, so we'll see how that pans out for AEW. A move away from a live model would make it easier for them to incorporate the video packages into their regular broadcasts, presumably.

But I'd also expect that WWE will stack NXT tonight to make a live show feel more urgent and must-see than the taped one.

AEW's best stuff being online can be frustrating, but I'd be a liar if I said WWE don't do exactly the same thing. I love their PC Youtube account and things like Prime Target.

I do genuinely believe that these video packages would add so much more to all of the wrestlers, and there must be some way of adapting them for TV use. I think NXT does it sometimes but Raw/Smackdown rarely do.

If they broke it up into 5 minute segments there is a good chance the live audience would go with it.

I remember when WWE used to do the Lonely Road of Faith videos on the big screen before house shows started which was about 5 minutes long. The live audience booed and cheered along accordingly before giving the it a massive ovation at the end.

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

There are at least four women in the picture. Not that it matters, what does anyone expect? this forum alone tells us wrestling fans love cartoons, horrific metal music, sniffing knickers, shitting and Eastenders. That they're a weird bunch is a given.

Speak for yourself, I can’t bloody stand Eastenders.

If they do keep stuff online so existing fans can seek it out, that's surely defeating the object. Good vignettes should be a massive part of what bring in new fans, and in fact should be key in cluing in new fans BEFORE the in ring stuff.

If a non fan skipping through channels saw a match, then skipped off, then switch back 30 minutes later, they wouldn't know what the difference was. A few guys in tights were fighting, now... a few guys in tights are fighting still? Are these the same guys? Why are those two in the same gear? Are there two or is this just badly edited? With normal TV drama, the locations and situations change visually from scene to scene, both physically and in terms of camera work, but wrestling doesn't do that (or at least doesn't do it so well and so frequently).

If anything, I think airing the vignettes on TV makes sense if not from the live broadcast but definitely the rerun - air the show to all your existing viewers, have them build the buzz, and draw new eyes via the repeats. Hiding your more varied content away as a treat for your existing viewers pretty much ensures you massively limit your audience.

• Paid Members

I think you're stretching credulity to suggest that a first-time viewer wouldn't be able to tell separate human beings apart just because they're in the same location, or be able to put two and two together and figure out why two wrestlers might wear matching gear. They're a hypothetical first-time viewer of this programme, not a newly arrived Martian with no broader context for human culture.

The issue is more that there is character and narrative development going on off-screen rather than on. I wouldn't expect to sit through an episode of Breaking Bad, and then check out Bryan Cranston's YouTube channel a few days later to have parts of it explained to me.

• Awards Moderator
14 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

They're a hypothetical first-time viewer of this programme, not a newly arrived Martian with no broader context for human culture.

Even then, Kris Statlander is from the Andromeda galaxy apparently and she grasps the concept of a two-hour TV wrestling show perfectly well. Almost enough to make you suspect she isn't genuinely an alien.

• Paid Members

Kris Statlander is one thing that annoys me - and did before AEW as well. 

I appreciate anyone on the indies who, having built up a name and a reputation, isn't afraid to think, "this isn't quite working, let's try something new", and take a gamble on a new gimmick or persona. And the alien gimmick is fun! But she hedged her bets and stuck with the existing, ordinary name. "Kris Statlander" isn't an alien's name. 

And I understand not changing it while she was on the indies and still banking on prior name value, but now she's locked down to a contract, that should have been an opportunity.