Paid Members Chris B Posted January 23, 2020 Paid Members Posted January 23, 2020 That's why I'm liking it more than expected so far - it's not a 'drink' angle. In the past examples, it was a character change that was purely and entirely based on alcohol, and like all the characters needed to do was stop getting drunk and everything would be fine. It was basically Jessie with caffeine pills from Saved by the Bell. This one feels different, because it's actually an insecurity angle, and the drinking is a symptom. He's drinking because he's depressed, not depressed because he's drinking. So far, it's already a lot better than anything in wrestling has managed. They could get it VERY wrong still. If they toe the line the way they've been doing, though, it doesn't feel inappropriate, or making light of what's happening. In which case, why shouldn't wrestling be a place for this kind of story?
Merzbow Posted January 23, 2020 Posted January 23, 2020 13 minutes ago, Chris B said: That's why I'm liking it more than expected so far - it's not a 'drink' angle. In the past examples, it was a character change that was purely and entirely based on alcohol, and like all the characters needed to do was stop getting drunk and everything would be fine. It was basically Jessie with caffeine pills from Saved by the Bell. This one feels different, because it's actually an insecurity angle, and the drinking is a symptom. He's drinking because he's depressed, not depressed because he's drinking. So far, it's already a lot better than anything in wrestling has managed. They could get it VERY wrong still. If they toe the line the way they've been doing, though, it doesn't feel inappropriate, or making light of what's happening. In which case, why shouldn't wrestling be a place for this kind of story? It's more of a case of the history of anything needing to be treated well... well, not. I'm really hoping AEW surprise me and buck the trend.
Paid Members Chris B Posted January 23, 2020 Paid Members Posted January 23, 2020 That's exactly it - they're new to this. If they try it and screw it up, totally agree - avoid this kind of thing. But I'd rather they have the chance to aim high and fail than to go 'well, this kind of thing hasn't been done well before, so best not to try'.
UK Kat Von D Posted January 23, 2020 Posted January 23, 2020 I find it interesting that the crowd are cheering him, which would make them enablers. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. Really enjoyed how different this show looked, the entrances looked amazing and made the whole thing feel fresh
Paid Members Carbomb Posted January 23, 2020 Paid Members Posted January 23, 2020 It might be an easy assumption on my part, but the way the company's attempted to meet the needs of its non-neurotypical audience with the sensory packs and quiet rooms would suggest that they're likely to treat this storyline with the requisite respect and sensitivity to do it justice. I really hope that's the case.
Michael_3165 Posted January 23, 2020 Posted January 23, 2020 (edited) 38 minutes ago, Carbomb said: It might be an easy assumption on my part, but the way the company's attempted to meet the needs of its non-neurotypical audience with the sensory packs and quiet rooms would suggest that they're likely to treat this storyline with the requisite respect and sensitivity to do it justice. I really hope that's the case. Jesus since when did autism and other conditions like it turn into a term like non neuro typical? I'm all for catering to any audience in that way but that term fuck sake! And no I am not anti PC. I'd only see a response to my comment if directly msgd so id not bother on the thread. Before the anticipated snarky comments come rolling my way. Edited January 23, 2020 by Michael_3165
Members SuperBacon Posted January 23, 2020 Members Posted January 23, 2020 2 hours ago, Chris B said: It was basically Jessie with caffeine pills from Saved by the Bell. Jessie was the best.
King Pitcos Posted January 23, 2020 Posted January 23, 2020 37 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said: Jesus since when did autism and other conditions like it turn into a term like non neuro typical? I'm all for catering to any audience in that way but that term fuck sake! And no I am not anti PC. “Non neurotypical” is shorter than “autism and other conditions like it.”
UK Kat Von D Posted January 23, 2020 Posted January 23, 2020 36 minutes ago, King Pitcos said: “Non neurotypical” is shorter than “autism and other conditions like it.” Yeah but having to explain that to the anti PC type means it ends up taking way longer.
Paid Members Carbomb Posted January 23, 2020 Paid Members Posted January 23, 2020 2 hours ago, Michael_3165 said: Jesus since when did autism and other conditions like it turn into a term like non neuro typical? I'm all for catering to any audience in that way but that term fuck sake! And no I am not anti PC. I'm using that term because I've read/heard autistic people and parents of autistic children use it, and conversely be upset by terms that imply that they're deficient or ill. It's not attempting to be PC, it's attempting to be kind and respectful.
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted January 23, 2020 Paid Members Posted January 23, 2020 3 hours ago, Michael_3165 said: I'd only see a response to my comment if directly msgd so id not bother on the thread. Did you take the same approach in this thread?
RedRooster Posted January 23, 2020 Posted January 23, 2020 (edited) 4 hours ago, Michael_3165 said: Jesus since when did autism and other conditions like it turn into a term like non neuro typical? I'm all for catering to any audience in that way but that term fuck sake! And no I am not anti PC. I'd only see a response to my comment if directly msgd so id not bother on the thread. Before the anticipated snarky comments come rolling my way. It’s not being snarky to effectively wonder why that would bother you. Language and the terms we use evolve. It’s not about being ‘PC’, it’s about being respectful to others and using the terms they prefer. Speaking of which, I think the anti-PC brigade prefer to be called the ‘anti-woke brigade’ these days so please, be considerate. Edited January 23, 2020 by RedRooster
Paid Members Chris B Posted January 23, 2020 Paid Members Posted January 23, 2020 As much as I enjoyed Dynamite this week, one production point really annoyed me - they didn't show the exterior of the boat until 90 minutes in. Open with drone footage, splice it in, whatever - but show people you're at fucking sea! Otherwise, it's just an underwhelming set.
RedRooster Posted January 23, 2020 Posted January 23, 2020 5 minutes ago, Chris B said: As much as I enjoyed Dynamite this week, one production point really annoyed me - they didn't show the exterior of the boat until 90 minutes in. Open with drone footage, splice it in, whatever - but show people you're at fucking sea! Otherwise, it's just an underwhelming set. Totally agree. I really enjoyed the show, it’s amazing how much the quality soars when Dark Order and Nightmare Collective are left off the card. I had no idea that Tony Schiavone worked at Starbucks, I thought, until I googled it, that it was a really rubbish attempt at an insult from Britt. It’s a shame because had Tony interjected to say he was proud of having worked there or something then I’d have had the confirmation I needed to pay full attention to how terrible a promo she is.
The King Of Swing Posted January 23, 2020 Posted January 23, 2020 Loved how they just cut to an ad as Britt rambled on.
Recommended Posts