The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

5 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

Who do they have to face Jericho at the PPV after that? Surely they’re gonna have to go with Jericho vs Moxley for a bit longer, unless they can sign some more WWE guys.

That’s pretty much my thinking. There’s no obvious choice for Jericho to feud with next, although they have a bit of time to figure something out ahead of the post-Revolution PPV.

Honestly, Hangman Page feels about as good a choice as any right now. It’s clear they’re planning to turn him heel, but he’s exactly what I’d want in a top baby face right now. He’s become unexpectedly entertaining, I think he’s great.

I’d be very interested in Dustin Rhodes having a run at Jericho, aiming to win his first World title. Whether it’s a mini-feud in between PPVs or a fully fledged PPV match, I think there’s mileage in that pairing.

• Paid Members

It's surely going to be Cody? He manages to earn himself a shot through a tournament or some such, or he pins Jericho in a tag match, then '97 Stings his way through the Inner Circle before getting a clean win for the title at whatever AEW's Mania equivalent will end up being. If Hager isn't allowed to do matches because of his MMA stuff you could have Dustin or another MMA fighter to back Cody. Although I'd imagine even undefeated MMA fighter Jake Hager would think twice before messing with Arn Anderson. 

42 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

I love Cody but he shouldn't be anywhere near the world title yet imo.

Agreed. Jericho’s reign has to be a long one for it to feel right for Cody to re-enter the title scene. 

It’s odd for him to be included in their rankings without any sort of asterisk beside his name though. 

• Paid Members

I wonder how many people are watching both AEW and NWA? Because the Cody/World title storyline is comparable to Tim Storm's, and Storm's done an incredible job of it so far. I hope AEW diversify the story a bit.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

It seems very unlikely. One of deir big complaints about WWE is how big stipulations get undone all the time. If AEW proves to be the same, it’ll chip away at the goodwill.

Agreed.

It'd be even worse in this case, since it wouldn't be Cody "getting one over the evil boss". He IS the boss and he'd be going back on his own word, which is really shitty booking for a babyface.

He'll get another title shot eventually but it needs more build up and a lot more motivation than "well we needed SOMEONE to challenge for it!"

4 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

It seems very unlikely. One of deir big complaints about WWE is how big stipulations get undone all the time. If AEW proves to be the same, it’ll chip away at the goodwill.

It’s not unusual for a promotion to go back in a stipulation, I wouldn’t mind if WWE did it. Just give a logical story that doesn’t make fans feel stupid for believing it and don’t do it right away.

It is too soon for Cody, but when it eventually happens it will have to make sense and feel like a pay off. It’s like when CM Punk left with the title, as much as I love having him on TV he was back within two weeks for no reason. Cena was supposed to get fired if he lost, but they went back on that the next night. There has to be a story and pay off for going back on stipulations, or the stipulation was worthless.

If Cody does challenge for the title it should be far off in the future, maybe challenging MJF after he has goaded him thinking he is untouchable. That would make sense 

• Paid Members

Genuinely, I hope they never have Cody going for the title. He doesn't need it, and they can use him for a secondary title - like NJPW did with the Intercontinental title and Nakamura.

It's not about goodwill, as much as it's about the possibility of longer-term storytelling and stipulations meaning more in the long run. It'd just be a missed opportunity.

Got a sinking feeling that Yuka Vs. Britt will be as mess.

I'm a Yuka fan but she's no Io, Asuka, etc. and is prone to sloppiness on occasion. Britt might be the worst opponent they could have given her for her TV debut.

Or I could be wrong and they blow everyone away or keep it short and simple. Regardless though I'm keeping my expectations low.

• Paid Members

Totally non-essential show, outside of Hangman and an unexpectedly genuinely funny moment with Joey Janela. Enjoyed it, but I'll remember basically nothing.

Feel like they've wasted Butcher and the Blade. I really like them, and I loved the pre-match vignette. But if they've won since turning up, I've missed it. Which makes it difficult to see them as any kind of a threat. If they were played as mercenaries who don't give a shit about winning or losing, that could work - but they need to take some people out as a result.

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Totally non-essential show, outside of Hangman and an unexpectedly genuinely funny moment with Joey Janela. Enjoyed it, but I'll remember basically nothing.

Feel like they've wasted Butcher and the Blade. I really like them, and I loved the pre-match vignette. But if they've won since turning up, I've missed it. Which makes it difficult to see them as any kind of a threat. If they were played as mercenaries who don't give a shit about winning or losing, that could work - but they need to take some people out as a result.

Just wait until January, they'll be back at 0-0.

The whole Cody stipulation argument is an odd one if you ask me, I don't think you have to stick to a stipulation forever to demonstrate you take them seriously. As other people have pointed out there are obvious issues when companies only let them last a couple weeks like with Punk but, when done right, overcoming a stipulation like the one Cody has can lead to an amazing story.

Him refusing to go after a heel champ like Jericho when le champion he's beaten all the other faces is the perfect angle to go into Double or Nothing. Cody deciding he can only do it if he goes double or nothing and puts his career on the line would be hugely compelling in my opinion

Edited by Brudaker

They can totally pull Cody going for title off if they really want to. Personally I hope they give it time and book it organically.

Also let's be honest us wrestling fans are a fickle bunch and put up with some proper shite anyway. Cody getting a shot might get some backlash but wouldn't kill the company.