The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Got a pal who's a figure collector that says if these are anywhere near the quality of the company's other bits of gear, they could be excellent. I'm not huge on figures myself but it's always good to see this sort of progress being made, even if it is for such a relatively new company.

Actually, Jazwares have been around for ages. But found success in the action figure world with Mortal Kombat and Fortnite. My godson has some and they are similar to the Mattel’s in-terms of articulation. What is interesting is that Wicked Cool Toys who are now part of Jazwares also make WWE toys like entrance stages. So wonder if that will continue 

13 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Got a pal who's a figure collector that says if these are anywhere near the quality of the company's other bits of gear, they could be excellent.

What bits of gear? I thought you were talking about Jazwares as well, but we’re you on about AEW t-shirts?

• Paid Members

The biggest issue for a lot of collectors especially is scale. Those Fortnite figures, if I remember correctly, looked to be a similar scale to the Elites my godson had. Super 7's NJPW is also in Mattel scale, so as long as these match, I expect them to be very popular. It will be good to have a rival toy line, and I think it is very ambitious of such a new company, to Daaaaaads point, to get stuff out so soon because getting stuff on the shelves in toy shops is hard work. Just hope a decent video game follows soon. I'd be happy with a Wrestlefest, WWE All Stars or No Mercy rip-off. Don't want another "Realistic" wrestling game, just something fun.

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Just hope a decent video game follows soon. I'd be happy with a Wrestlefest, WWE All Stars or No Mercy rip-off. Don't want another "Realistic" wrestling game, just something fun.

Seconded, because "wrestling game" is my red rag. I want to spam Hurricane-Kicking fools across the ring as Luchasaurus, not spend 5 minutes trading generic punches with Nakazawa because I've not satisfied the AI's back-of-a-fag-packet King's Road psychology.

• Paid Members

Either way, AEW are doing something very early on that TNA didn't manage for a long time, which is create new revenue streams with merch other than T-shirts. Relying on gate and tees is not a good idea when you're trying to establish yourself as a money-making wrestling company. Strikes me that figures are one of the best things to put out, because you can cater to both the regular market who make up the majority of regular-priced purchases and the hardcores who'll pay shit-tons for special editions and rarities.

15 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Got a pal who's a figure collector that says if these are anywhere near the quality of the company's other bits of gear, they could be excellent.

@King Pitcos: this part refers to Jaswares...

15 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

I'm not huge on figures myself but it's always good to see this sort of progress being made, even if it is for such a relatively new company.

...and this to AEW

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, AshC said:

They should rib Jericho by having the royalties from his figures go to Dennis Rodman.

Arrows

@Carbomb I think the reasoning is probably TV. TNA's first action figures arrived in 2005 after they went from PPV to Fox Sports Net. AEW obviously had the TV deal soon after the company was created. That said, the turn around is still bloody impressive and probably helps by having someone driving it properly at the top rather than someone just chucking money into it and hoping it worked out. It took another 3 years for the video game, so if they can get this out quick sharp I think they will really be in a good position 

One thing that might be key is that the indie game scene has come on a lot since TNA were chasing a deal. If AEW were happy to go with a lo-fi game (imitating the likes of No Mercy or Fire Pro) aimed are the hardcore niche audience/nostalgia dollar, the turnaround might be a lot faster than if they are hanging on for a “proper” game. 

Edited by King Pitcos

Just got through Dark. Enjoyable.

So is Mel (know nothing about her) really green or just really bad? Thank fuck for Shida.

Fuck knows what is going on with The Nightmare Collective. Just a complete mess and I can only assume that it's either being dumped or completely overhauled.

Is Kong hurt or something?

Wasn't expecting the intergender tag to make air (hope someone is keeping an eye on Cornette) and considering how it was filmed, I wouldn't be surprised if it was added on short notice. Assuming it's not going to be a regular thing though no matter how much Kenny pushes for it and that's fine with me.

Intergender wrestling isn't everyone's thing (fair enough) but I enjoyed it well enough. Kip has really grown on me as a smug prick, Ford held her own and being honest that was probably Riho's best performance in AEW since the match with Sakura.

I'm actually surprised that Riho has remained so over despite her absences. Also being able to hear fans give the ref grief was amusing.

Colin Delaney? I know I should know him but fuck me I'm drawing a blank which I'm guessing was the point. Fun little tag match though and Spears was great.

Book Tully Vs. Cassidy and TAKE MY MONEY.

4 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Fuck knows what is going on with The Nightmare Collective. Just a complete mess and I can only assume that it's either being dumped or completely overhauled.

Is Kong hurt or something?

She’s off to film Glow I think.

• Paid Members
On 2/4/2020 at 2:08 PM, Liam O'Rourke said:

It should be mentioned that this whipping angle sniffs of the great 10 lashes angle from Mid-South with Mr. Wrestling II and Magnum TA. In that, they were supposed to take 5 each for losing to the Midnights, but Wrestling II, who was in the middle of a slow burn heel turn, just fucked off and let Magnun take all 10. It led to new babyface on the scene Terry Taylor walking in and offering to take some to help get him over. So this MJF angle is custom made for a cool development like that, the angle it is taken from was built for it.

Well, I’ve seen people drawing a conclusion between Mid South and ECW for this angle. Turns out Tony Khan is a massive fan of both, and very knowledgable about southern wrestling https://www.al.com/life/2020/02/the-nfl-exec-shaking-up-pro-wrestling.html

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Colin Delaney? I know I should know him but fuck me I'm drawing a blank which I'm guessing was the point. Fun little tag match though and Spears was great.

He was in the WWE version of ECW as a sort of James Ellsworth figure.