The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

whats weird about that?

It's nothing huge, but it's about not talking differently about women in matches. "These two male athletes" would sound weird too.

Based on the way he corrected himself, I think they've been asked to avoid talking like that.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Very impressed with both Hangman Page and Cody on this show. Page was by far the most interesting part of that eight man tag match, even when they were in the 'everyone get their shit in' phases of the match I still had an eye on him, I believed the knee selling, and loved the finish of the match. Only downer for him the whole night was the crowd cheering when he magicked up the pitcher. The story's that he's becoming alcohol-dependent, right? Probably not meant to cheer that, but this is coming from me who never liked or understood Austin's obsession with beer either.

It is, but I don't think it's the drink that's the issue - that's a symptom, and it's what the Bucks and Kenny are misunderstanding. The issue is that he feels like his friends secretly don't like him, and that he let everyone down by losing to Jericho.

2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Add me to the thumbs down list for all the eye stabbing, x 10,000 for the teeth being pulled out angle. No, no, no. Don't need that. Those were gimmicked, right? Someone please reassure me they didn't pull out her actual teeth.

You could briefly see Aubrey Edwards pass her something as she started selling, and they cut away. I thought that was brilliant, by the way - genuinely icky and unpleasant.

Echo all the praise for the lashings. February, and between this and Orton/Edge, that’s already two all time angles this year. Great time for wrestling! And I needed this from Cody, a reminder of what a tremendous babyface he is. Dustin, Arn and - yes! - Brandi especially, all helped drive this thing over the top. Nice to see this feud heated up again. After weeks of being booked like any mid-card scrub, MJF looked like the biggest bastard in wrestling again. The nut-shot and the ‘fan’ jumping him in the stands were genius touches.

Other thoughts - Glad they let Santana speak. Him and Ortiz are too good to waste in the background. More of that!

Lol at Joey Janela going all fighting spirit and no-selling a kicking. Fuck off.

Britt Baker is 10x better as a heel and the match was mercifully short. 

I’m not keen on the interview fake-out thing they always do to set up angles. A few more interviews going through as planned would be nice. Is Kenny Omega shit scared to get on the live mic? I was really looking forward to what he had to say. The PAC thing . . . Christ. They couldn’t have made Riho look more like an idiot. That’s four months she’s been standing around like a lemon waiting for a chance to talk.

The turnaround for Adam Page has been awesome. I hope this is a case where they adapt and go with the audience. Nobody wants to boo this guy, let alone feel sorry for him. Just let him do Cowboy Shit and be a cool relatable badass.

5 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

The PAC thing . . . Christ. They couldn’t have made Riho look more like an idiot. That’s four months she’s been standing around like a lemon waiting for a chance to talk.

Forgot about that.

Yeah Riho just standing there like a Deer in the headlights wasn't a good look. I get why they used her in that segment but she's clearly not suited to stuff like that.

I'm assuming that her English isn't up to much or it's a massive swerve and she ends up cutting the next Austin 3:16 promo.

Nah.

• Paid Members

From South Town? Sakazaki likes her Fatal Fury/Art Of Fighting. 

Britt Baker really is dreadful. It looks like they cut chunks out of the match. That shot with the ring bell was terrible. 

• Paid Members

Britt Baker is in the wrong company. There's sparks of her where you can see potential among the shite, but you are sort of thrown to the wolves live on TNT. She would have benefited from a year or two training with Shawn Michaels, Robbie Brookside and Sara Del Ray and then working NXT for a bit.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Love-Wilcox said:

Wow, that Cody/MJF angle really was something special.

Absolutely. I can’t remember the last angle that’s left such a lasting impression on me. I’ve thought about it loads since watching it. I can’t say enough good things about it. The acting of Cody was off the charts, the tension and drama was incredible and the fact I’m still not sure whether the fan who attacked MJF was a plant or not speaks volumes for how visceral the whole thing was.

Plus, in that ten second moment where she came down before his last lashing, Brandi Rhodes delivered more than she has done in months doing the shitty Nightmare Collective thing. She’s infinitely more effective as Cody’s babyface manager so I’m over the moon to see they’ve finally killed that gimmick off. 

Thank fuck for that.

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Absolutely. I can’t remember the last angle that’s left such a lasting impression on me. I’ve thought about it loads since watching it. I can’t say enough good things about it. The acting of Cody was off the charts, the tension and drama was incredible and the fact I’m still not sure whether the fan who attacked MJF was a plant or not speaks volumes for how visceral the whole thing was.

Plus, in that ten second moment where she came down before his last lashing, Brandi Rhodes delivered more than she has done in months doing the shitty Nightmare Collective thing. She’s infinitely more effective as Cody’s babyface manager so I’m over the moon to see they’ve finally killed that gimmick off. 

Thank fuck for that.

It wasn’t a plant or a fan, it was Frankie Kazarian from SCU

• Paid Members

They said on commentary that everyone was running out of the back as MJF & Wardlow were dashing out through the crowd, so presumably Kazarian made it up to them. It was some great heel work. The match is going to be very hot. 

If Jericho had taken a counter-offer from Vince, and Ambrose had been allowed to swap the gas mask for an eye patch in WWE and stuck around... what would the top end of the AEW card look like? At the time when Tony and the boys decided to set up the company, they can’t have known for sure that those two would be available. But it’s hard to imagine how the shows would look without them. Jericho in particular, because who would have been the top heel? Neville wasn’t available at first.