The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

It should be mentioned that this whipping angle sniffs of the great 10 lashes angle from Mid-South with Mr. Wrestling II and Magnum TA. In that, they were supposed to take 5 each for losing to the Midnights, but Wrestling II, who was in the middle of a slow burn heel turn, just fucked off and let Magnun take all 10. It led to new babyface on the scene Terry Taylor walking in and offering to take some to help get him over. So this MJF angle is custom made for a cool development like that, the angle it is taken from was built for it.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

It should be mentioned that this whipping angle sniffs of the great 10 lashes angle from Mid-South with Mr. Wrestling II and Magnum TA. In that, they were supposed to take 5 each for losing to the Midnights, but Wrestling II, who was in the middle of a slow burn heel turn, just fucked off and let Magnun take all 10. It led to new babyface on the scene Terry Taylor walking in and offering to take some to help get him over. So this MJF angle is custom made for a cool development like that, the angle it is taken from was built for it.

That sounds like a cracking angle. Wish I'd managed to get through that massive Mid-South collection that was online years ago, but my computer had an aneurysm and I was never able to find it again.

Given the "almost masochistically-hard" nature of such a face, sounds like something they'd put Darby Allin forward for.

• Paid Members

I can see it working for Darby, but I think it needs to be someone who isn't already that kind of character. I suppose the closest non-Mid-South analogy I can think of is Dreamer in ECW, with his "thank you sir, may I have another" against Sandman, at a time when he hadn't really proven his "hardcore" credentials yet.

A guy like Darby volunteering to take a whipping is one thing, but we already know he's a nutter who doesn't mind pain, but if a more white-meat babyface like Jungle Boy were to take it, it feels like much more of a sacrifice. The point then is in honouring the stipulation and helping out a deserving friend, not on how much pain one guy can take. Alternatively, Dustin Rhodes stepping up to take it would be a different dynamic on that angle.

I do like the idea of Arn getting beating up while Cody's trapped inside a cage and powerless to get out and save him - but, like so much of Cody's booking, that feels a lot like they're burning through all their best ideas too quickly.

• Paid Members

As much as I love the sound of the original angle, that would be death for Cody. He's agreed to it, and has said he'll do it. And MJF keeps crowing that he won't do it. If Cody then won't/can't do it, then MJF wins.

This should be closer to the Sandman/Tommy Dreamer Singapore Cane angle - the whole thing where Sandman got more and more freaked out by Dreamer's 'Thank you sir, may I have another' bit (and don't forget Dreamer's been around AEW a little). MJF making a bigger and bigger deal about Cody not being able to do it, and Cody gritting through the whole thing, with MJF getting more and more freaked out about who he's going to have to face... before beating the shit out of Cody anyway straight after the lashes.

One thing is for sure, Cody is going to tell MJF to really lay into him with the belt to sell the angle. Between the Spears chair shot and the dive in the Jericho match, we know Cody will take punishment to get an angle over. For something as “safe” as lashes, I expect them to really go for it 

4 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Fairly certain that the announcers actually referenced that angle during Dynamite. Sounded awesome.

3 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

One thing is for sure, Cody is going to tell MJF to really lay into him with the belt to sell the angle.

Since we're indulging in a bit of fantasy booking, I was anticipating the way to get it over would have been for Cody's somewhat lukewarm acceptence to the conditions promo to end with something along the lines of "No to 10, I'll take twice as much as you can give"

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

in my head now, Cody takes the ten lashes like a champion, no complaints, so MJF starts whipping Arn Anderson out of frustration, with Cody unable to stop him.

The problem with that though is that unless you have Cody so beat-up that he’s physically unable to help Arn, there’s a danger that it looks like Cody has decided that his match with MJF is so important to him, he’s willing to let his manager get beaten up, even though he could be selfless and intervene if he wanted to.

I actually like the idea of that happening, with MJF assuming that Cody won’t help out, but he does, losing the opportunity at that match. It would make Cody look like a mega-babyface and MJF an arsehole coward. They can still get round to that match either at or after Revolution, and it would give their feud the kick up the arse (I feel) it needs.

Edited by RedRooster

Got a pal who's a figure collector that says if these are anywhere near the quality of the company's other bits of gear, they could be excellent. I'm not huge on figures myself but it's always good to see this sort of progress being made, even if it is for such a relatively new company.