Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

I’d completely forgotten Havoc even worked there. Assumed they’d came to their senses and popped him in the bin like they have the Nightmare Collective.

What a contrast in quality though. Going from that strapping angle, which somehow is even better in slow-mo with dramatic music played over the top, then immediately cutting to that dafty trying to sound intimidating over his crap scran. Oof. God bless the lad for trying but it’s not going to work, is it?

He has no charisma, no physique, he looks like utter shit... I do not get, and never have got, the appeal of Jimmy Havoc.
Maybe its all the skinny EMO kids that like him, I dunno...

Posted

I mean, loads of kids on here saying Havoc was a pioneer in the resurgance in British wrestling and all that, you'd have to ask them if that promo was good or not.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

I always hear that Jimmy Six Figures was good in Progress. Is that any different from Albert being good in Japan?

He definitely was really good in Progress. But there's a world of difference between one match every 6 weeks in front of 700 drunk fans in Camden than a full time national TV wrestling gig, I guess.

I've always enjoyed Havoc at UK indie shows. He's a great indie level wrestler. But when it comes to the major leagues he looks like a complete fucking berk.

That Cody whipping vignette was awesome. Hope they use that as an open on Dynamite this week.

Edited by LaGoosh
Posted
1 hour ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

It's Cody Vs Wardlow in the cage this week isn't it? Im not a follower of the indys over here or there but has he been about a bit or is it just a big trainee type fella they've brought in?

I think it's next week.

No idea what Wardlow is like.

  • Paid Members
Posted

A big part of what's killed Havoc for me is that AEW also has Joey Janela, Darby Allin and, to an extent, Jon Moxley doing the "unbalanced psycho who'll do anything to win" gimmick and all three are doing it far far better than Havoc is.

He needs something else to set him apart but it doesn't seem like he's GOT anything else. He's 100% reliant on the "Ooh. Look how crazy I am" stuff getting him over and it just isn't particularly interesting.

I mean, why should I give a shit about Jimmy Havoc playing with knives, and TALKING about how he'd totally, really, honestly, use them mate, when you've got Moxley and the Inner Circle stabbing each other in the fucking eyes?

Posted

That’s pretty much it. The Progress run was a lot of right time, right place, right company, right crowd, killer angle. They complimented each other in creating a true identity. Especially as they’d just moved into the ballroom. And running with Havoc as a dominant champion in a long, storyline driven fashion really further differentiated Progress from anyone else, in a good way.

He’s heralded as some as being really strong creatively and having great psychology, etc. I’ve witnessed this, as well as some fucking awful ideas. But on that front he certainly seems to have ran dry for a while now. As evidenced by the near recycling with that promo, referencing his character from his Progress highs and seemingly living off those past glories when he’s in a very different environment now when, yeah there’s a bunch of others doing not entirely dissimilar.

Posted

There's a really fun match between Riho & Shoko Nakajima on this week's Dark but why have they got their champion wrestling on the internet only B show again?

They openly talk about how she's not doing much and then continue to hide her, I kinda get the intergender match not being on TV as it wasn't even filmed professionally but this week's match should have been on TV to push her before the Nyla match.

  • Paid Members
Posted
15 hours ago, Worthits said:

I mean, loads of kids on here saying Havoc was a pioneer in the resurgance in British wrestling and all that, you'd have to ask them if that promo was good or not.

The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

Posted

When Jimmy Havoc was "good", was this when Progress were still doing the "we're punk rock lol fuck u vince mainstream sux pg sux" gimmick? I could see him getting over in that context, the same way shitehawks like Sandman struck it big in ECW.

  • Paid Members
Posted
8 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

When Jimmy Havoc was "good", was this when Progress were still doing the "we're punk rock lol fuck u vince mainstream sux pg sux" gimmick? I could see him getting over in that context, the same way shitehawks like Sandman struck it big in ECW.

honestly, he was better then. He's gone downhill a lot, and coasted with it. But they definitely booked to his strengths at the time, and he and Smallman collaborated on a great bit of long-term storytelling, that both Havoc and Progress have been dining out on ever since.

I also just don't think "edgy hardcore goth" is the best version of Jimmy. He's much more entertaining as a horrible mouthy prick than whatever it is he's doing now.

  • Paid Members
Posted
11 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

When Jimmy Havoc was "good", was this when Progress were still doing the "we're punk rock lol fuck u vince mainstream sux pg sux" gimmick? I could see him getting over in that context, the same way shitehawks like Sandman struck it big in ECW.

I'd say PROGRESS never leaned into that "fuck WWE, PG is lame" stuff as much as you think. 

As Pat pointed above, Havoc has his strengths and when played to them he is very good. He had a big feud with Ospreay in Progress's early days that felt fresh and different, and since then both him and PROGRESS have benefited from that success. Neither have achieved the same highs since then though.

The goth-Dexter stuff was good during his Ospreay feud, and that along with his title run and Chapter 13 being uploaded to YouTube for free, were the main catalyst of PROGRESS exploding in popularity. 

My personal favourite iteration of Havoc is the foul-mouthed arrogant cockney wanker who called the crowd cunts at a CHIKARA show. He had a stable with Pete Dunne called KYS (Kill YourSelves) and they were a very effective heel group at Fight Club:Pro shows.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

When you think about it, it's not a totally bad idea for him to recycle a promo - majority of AEW's audience are American, so how many of them will have seen much Progress stuff? He's also getting a lot of positive comments (and a fair few negative ones in response) below the video, so that could be an indication as to why AEW are persisting with him.

He's never really been one for me, but I'm not into the whole modern deathmatch style - I much prefer the older stuff when it was about building up to even just one weapon strike or landing on pins or whatnot.

Edited by Carbomb
  • Paid Members
Posted
51 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

My personal favourite iteration of Havoc is the foul-mouthed arrogant cockney wanker who called the crowd cunts at a CHIKARA show.

The look on Bryce Remsburg and Mike Quackenbush's face was a picture. Not happy chaps.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...