AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

On 9/4/2021 at 7:26 PM, Vamp said:

The Black situation is really odd. Cody put him over big time but since he's vanished it's like their weakening Black. You'd think they'd keep him as strong as possible before Cody gets his win back. 

If it wasn't for the fact that Cody's probably booking it I'd think someone was taking the piss out of him. 

I forget who said it, but somebody once compared Cody to Poochie-

* At Revolution, Cody spends the majority of the Ladder match loitering in the background selling an injury, taking the focus off of anything in the ring and putting it on him returning to the match

* Cody is the first person to appear in the intros for both Dynamite and Rampage (a show that he has yet to appear on)

* This week on Rampage, Lee Johnson comes out wearing Cody’s weightlifting belt which he’s never done before and has that shitty Nightmare Family logo plastered all over the screen

AX4GxGA98KJIxbqh9SS-sGaOg9E=.gif

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

* At Revolution, Cody spends the majority of the Ladder match loitering in the background selling an injury, taking the focus off of anything in the ring and putting it on him returning to the match

This is the maddest complaint. I remember watching at the time, he didn't steal focus at all. The people who are obsessed with Rhodes had their eye glued to him because he invades their every waking thought, but to normal people it wasn't very unusual. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members

The entrance was in front of the hard cam for that show wasn't it? I'm not going to get into it anyway, because the anti Cody lot are mental. Your questioning why he's in the intros for TV shows for another thing. You know, one of the blokes who it wouldn't have been possible to have those shows without. "WHAAAA, WHY'S HE IN THE SHOW OPEN!!"

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members

I can recognise why Cody's booked the way he is - his stories play out more or less in isolation to the rest of the show, and are largely focused around Cody Rhodes being very important even in defeat, and a big part of that is because the aim isn't so much to tell coherent wrestling stories as to platform Cody Rhodes as a crossover media talent. That's why Cody and Brandi are in magazine photoshoots together, why they have a reality TV show and so on - but that butts heads with wrestling logic, where doing a gender reveal for your unborn baby on a wrestling show feels like something so absurdly self-indulgent that only the most narcissistic heel should be doing it, yet Cody does it as a babyface. 

So yes, I can see why Cody is booked the way he is, and why it's a valid business move, but at the same time recognise that it's detrimental to my enjoyment of the show, and of his contributions to it in particular. It doesn't help that he leans heavily into wrestling's most melodramatic tendencies, but rarely with enough consistency to make it stick.

I'd love this "self indulgent" aspect of Cody to facilitate a heel a fuss with CM Punk. I know someone else mentioned it on here, and I think it has real legs.

Position CM Punk as a lockeroom leader who has a interest in supporting the new generation of wrestlers.

Then have Cody cancel a scheduled match on Dynamite for a few up and comers so he can announce his wife's brand new shoe store (or any other frivolous reason) and then let Punk rip on him for elevating himself.

There is your fued.