AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Jericho commentating as heel, despite supposedly being a babyface, is one of the strangest creative decisions in recent memory. There was no subtlety to it either. He was flat out cheering on the heels, even at their most heelish. Like shouting "Yeah! Get him!" while Miro kicked fuck out of Fuego and just shitting on Fuego getting a contract.

It's even weirder, because Jericho is capable of so much better. During the initial lockdown shows, he did a great job of putting people over without hurting his own on screen persona. Here, it felt like he was desperately trying to protect a character he doesn't even play anymore! 

I'm just glad MJF wasn't on the show. Jericho would've been cheering him on as well. Like that episode of Beavis and Butthead where they're watching themselves get beaten up by the Police on Cops.

Jericho is one of the talking heads on the 'In Search of Darkness pt2' doc that's all about 80s horrors. It's safe to he doesn't have a mainstream taste. As both parts are about 4hrs each, and he appears in the 2nd of those delving deep into the video nasty bin.

Music and movies, he's stuck in the 80s.

Jericho needs to be kept away from the commentary table for good. He's sodding useless as far as entertainment goes. 

Henry looks to be having the time of his life whenever he's on screen and I think he could work with Taz and Excalibur, letting them do the heavy lifting and he just chipping in occasionally. But the running backwards and forwards for interviews needs to go the same way as Jericho.

I've watched so much wrestling that Jericho chatting shite doesn't bother me. He's a bit of a Roddy Piper I reckon. As in He'll deffo do this full time eventually but will drift back into the nervous Jericho we got with Schiavone. 

18 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

722,000 for Rampage this week.

Obviously there were a lot of eyes on the second episode with Punk debuting so a drop was expected. Shame that it dropped below the debut episode though, I don’t know whether you’d put that down to the show being taped or not

They picked up in the demo from the 1st and were only down by 18,000 on the total. I'd say that slight difference was more due to the news coverage over Afghanistan than tape v. live.

37 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

722,000 for Rampage this week.

Obviously there were a lot of eyes on the second episode with Punk debuting so a drop was expected. Shame that it dropped below the debut episode though, I don’t know whether you’d put that down to the show being taped or not

Honestly, I think the cold PPV line-up is affecting everything. I don't think it's a coincidence that they were drawing their best ratings in recent memory when it looked like we were going to get Page/Omega at the PPV. That storyline is/was thrilling. All Out is the first AEW PPV I can think of without a truly blockbuster match. You could argue that Punk/Darby is that match, but heck, the build-up to Darby/Ethan Page felt more heated. It feels like there's absolutely nothing at stake. 

Edited by RedRooster

3 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Because there isn’t. 

If you look at the idea of a match between the two without paying attention to the lukewarm build-up, there absolutely is. Punk needs to prove that he still has it, but he's facing arguably AEW's fastest rising young star. For Darby, what does a loss mean for him? He's built up a lot of momentum, and is established as a top tier act in AEW - but if he loses? What next? 

The stakes are, in theory, high for both wrestlers. But instead, the match feels very thrown together. They have two shows in which they can heat this up slightly, but I can't imagine they'll manage to do much in the time that they still have. It feels like a waste of his return match, to be honest. You can only ever do a comeback match once.