AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

How's it work for people like them? I assume they now know people in the company allowing them to get decent tickets all the time?

Originally it's most likely just mummy and daddy's money. But now, going out with Mick Foley's daughter probably gives him a connection or two.

Moments like this remind me why I love pro wrestling. The emotion in that crowd was off the chain and seeing Punk and the audience feed off each other was just golden.

Punk was misty eyed and so was I. Just a wonderful moment. Maybe the best pop of all time.

Amazing execution by all concerned.

Speaking of altering the pointy thing, Meltzer's been saying that preliminary numbers from the top ten TV markets indicated ratings were up 57 percent from the debut episode of Rampage:

https://www.si.com/wrestling/2021/08/22/summerslam-wwe-aew-cm-punk-competition

Taking a quick look at YouTube for sheer curiosity, Punk's debut is also currently on 5.3m. No surprise it's bigger than their usual weekly show clips, but for context they get 200k-800k usually. Sting's debut eight months ago is currently on 4.0m. Lesnar's return at the weekend is 3.2m and Becky Lynch is 1.2m.

I know one was a once in a lifetime type of return, but that's seriously impressive stuff. Especially given how enormous WWE on YouTube is in some of the more far flung markets. 

Pro wrestling tees never really gets mentioned in the story to this point. Totally made the indy life more of a full time option for many who are now tv stars. 

10 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

That SI article above said they shifted 200k+ of merch at that Rampage as well, was the Punk shirt available there? 

You could only get it with back print on the night. The queue was crossing floors it was so long going by videos on Twitter 

8 minutes ago, Louch said:

You could only get it with back print on the night. The queue was crossing floors it was so long going by videos on Twitter 

Yeah I remember seeing videos of that, I assumed they must have brought a load of Punk merch out after the debut but wasnt sure

• Paid Members

Ratings are out. Easiest way to put the numbers into context is this graph by Brandon Thomas of Wrestlenomics. It shows the number of viewers aged 18-49, which is how advertisers decide where to buy slots and in turn is the main reason TV stations buy shows.

spacer.png

That orange line sure looks like a needle moving.

Wednesday should be a good test of if that number is the Wednesday audience, or how much is new and persuaded to watch what’s next