AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

I look forward to hearing Big Tone a year from now say "We've learned that at our competition, Roman Reigns is going to be their new champion. Yeurgh. That'll put some butts in seats."

Seriously, though. You might think WWE aren't worried, but whoever's putting the figures on their TV deals sure as shit should be paying attention. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Gay as FOOK said:

I look forward to hearing Big Tone a year from now say "We've learned that at our competition, Roman Reigns is going to be their new champion. Yeurgh. That'll put some butts in seats."

Seriously, though. You might think WWE aren't worried, but whoever's putting the figures on their TV deals sure as shit should be paying attention. 

I dunno if they really are looking to sell, AEW being hot probably helps them more than anything. Getting numbers like that is VERY attractive.

2 minutes ago, DEF said:

I dunno if they really are looking to sell, AEW being hot probably helps them more than anything. Getting numbers like that is VERY attractive.

Maybe - and I'm sure AEW will also be getting a pay bump at the next round of negotiations - but the fact remains that if you're USA/Fox then you're likely going to see this and think you're paying way over the odds for something that isn't a million miles away, and neck and neck for the most lucrative demo. 

Quick check online seems to put the Smackdown deal at 205m versus 45m for Dynamite per annum? I know it's not as straightforward as those two figures probably but that's a crazy discrepancy. All WWE are giving these guys is a TV show, and now another crowd are knocking about pulling impressive numbers already for a lot cheaper. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Gay as FOOK said:

Maybe - and I'm sure AEW will also be getting a pay bump at the next round of negotiations - but the fact remains that if you're USA/Fox then you're likely going to see this and think you're paying way over the odds for something that isn't a million miles away, and neck and neck for the most lucrative demo. 

Quick check online seems to put the Smackdown deal at 205m versus 45m for Dynamite per annum? I know it's not as straightforward as those two figures probably but that's a crazy discrepancy. All WWE are giving these guys is a TV show, and now another crowd are knocking about pulling impressive numbers already for a lot cheaper. 

Ultimately yes I think you're right which is exactly why I think they are seriously looking at selling now.

As usual with any rating of a special episode (legends night, post mania etc) it doesn’t really mean anything unless it creates an upward trend. I’m pretty sure this will and can’t see them falling below 1m for dynamite ever again after this.

Edited by Yakashi

28 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I’m seeing this image a lot on social media tonight. I suspect I might see it a lot more in the future.

I can guarantee you now; I’ll always enjoy it.

D41B389D-D75A-4044-8F8B-F1BEBC04BCEB.jpeg.d5bd0bace0159f28f246b6833e7f02a7.jpeg

Love it.

So many chickens coming home to roost at the moment.

Airlifted from elsewhere, Big Tone has given some further context on Punk's debut:

- The original plan was for Tony Schiavone to introduce CM Punk before Punk made his entrance. However, it was changed to Punk not being introduced and that Schiavone will interview him on Dynamite. Tony however did say to Khan that if he were to introduce Punk, they'd have to really discuss it because his introduction should be minimal.

- The whole time, Khan wouldn't say that Punk was gonna be there. He didn't say his name at all. During the meeting the day before, as they were going over the format, all it said was "Special guest." Even Punk's locker room didn't have his name on it. It said "Special guest."

- The format they went over the day before Rampage said "Tony Schiavone introduces special guest." So up until the last minute, Schiavone was scheduled to introduce CM Punk.

- When CM Punk arrived to the building, one of the guys he was flanked by was Lou D'Angeli, otherwise known as Sign Guy Dudley.

- During Rampage, Schiavone says he was sitting next to Tony Khan in the go position.

- Schiavone says the only thing Punk was instructed on saying was to mention Darby Allin to set up their All Out match. The rest of the promo was all the brainchild of CM Punk.

- Schiavone says when CM Punk made his entrance, everybody in the locker room gathered around the go position. Omega, The Young Bucks, everybody. They all wanted to see what CM Punk had to say.

- Schiavone says that Britt Baker was beside herself that CM Punk mentioned her name.

- Schiavone says after the show, around 11:30 or Midnight, he went to dinner. It was him, Tony Khan, CM Punk, Rebel, Britt Baker, CM Punk's entourage, Jeff Jones, Tony Khan's girlfriend, among others. Schiavone ended up getting back to his room around 2:30. At that point, he already had to get up at 3:30 for a 5 AM flight, so he decided to stay up.

- Schiavone says that for the first time in many, many years, he didn't go to sleep that night. And honestly, it was all worth it.

Source: What Happened When Episode 241

I love the fact that Sign Guy Dudley was in his entourage. I love wrestling being this mad place where nobody ever really fucks off, they just retain minor Springfield character status. 

• Paid Members

Just read up and he seems to be a fairly big deal in marketing and has a stint working for WWE in that regard. Potentially where he met Punk? It is a bit mad though, especially as I now want him to come out with Punk doing the full Sign Guy routine.