AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Agreed on the commentary. I couldn't really focus during the show and I think the fact that the commentary was so chaotic and unfocused was the reason for that. Jericho's commentary persona is the opposite of his in ring babyface character which is jarring as hell. Just a straight up mess.

A shame, because this was a perfectly decent show otherwise. 

Yep decent show pretty much ruined by the commentary. It doesn't need that many guys. Especially ones that don't work well together. Jericho wasn't quite so screechy this week but still annoying. Henry sounds like he's half asleep most of the time. He shouldn't be allowed near a mic for commentary or interviewing at all. They need to sort out the team ASAP.

Hot opener which was good but not great. You know they would've kicked it into another gear for a PPV match. Stupid 'everyone waits around outside' spot aside (which could probably be rescued by better editing) they worked really well together. I love both teams. The cage match with the Bucks should be fantastic.

The Punk/Darby stuff definitely wasn't worth advertising beforehand.

Miro segment was short but sweet. Don't need too much more to get him over as a maniac with Eddie being Eddie.

Women's match was there.

Main event was fine. Pretty predictable but good enough way of continuing the title fight build.

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Fucking infuriating that they don't edit the length of the ad breaks on the FITE app replay. Winds me right up having to manually skip through minutes of that Rampage graphic.

There have been rare occasions where the graphic has been removed and it just cuts straight back to the show, but it’s very rare that that happens. Depends what you’re watching on as to how it is to skip through, but you can usually time it to around 3 and a half minutes to get past the graphics

• Paid Members

Lucha Bros and Young Bucks in a cage is equal parts exciting and terrifying. Can’t wait.

I know Eddie Kingston isn’t winning the belt at the pay per view. Won’t stop me from watching in hope though. Let’s go, Mad King!

Highlight of the show was Mark Henry not letting Don Callis join them on commentary and exclaiming, “piss off!” Really made me laugh. All the commentators hating and suffering Don is always entertaining. Mark Henry being introduced as the big brother who protects and sticks up for them and scares Callis off is a brilliant payoff.

Feels like AEW have dropped a real bollock this week.

All the hype and noise from Punks debut last week and they put out one of the worse Dynamites they’ve done on Wednesday and whilst this show was alright it was nothing special and the commentary ruined it.

Obviously not every show is going to be mental like last week etc, but on Wednesday they would have had new eyes on the product so had a real chance to capitalise on that.

Feels like a real missed opportunity

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Oh and I wish they hadn't gone on about that bloke in the audience so much. But maybe that was just me not being interested.

Giannis Antetokounmpo? He's a huge basketball star who just dragged him team to the NBA Championship, so I can understand them focusing on him going mental and loving the show. 

• Paid Members

Apparently Tony Khan introduced him before the show and he came out on the entrance ramp so I think it was a bit more than the usual 'celebrity in the crowd' thing. I think with a less annoying commentary team it wouldn't have been as grating but it ended up as just another frustration with that 4-man commentary booth.

I don't mind Excalibur's opening 100mph bit - they're on following Smackdown and it's clear they're trying to hook viewers in past the first ad break with the promise of everything happening but it would be a lot better if him and Taz could pass that back and forth the way Excalibur/Tony/JR do on Dynamite.

14 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Giannis Antetokounmpo? He's a huge basketball star who just dragged him team to the NBA Championship, so I can understand them focusing on him going mental and loving the show. 

Aha makes sense. I assumed as much. Just felt a little like overkill on the mentions but I'm sure it'll get them some good press. That's the sort of thing they need to get them more into the mainstream.

Random moan #857 - How shit is Penta's joker gear and why is he constantly wearing it. At least Rey's outfits were usually a once off thing and looked good (and a great way to sell figures). Loved him in Lucha Underground but that aura is lost here.