AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

I watched NXT every week when Ever-Rise were employed there, yet I wouldnā€™t have been able to pick them out of a lineup. 2.0 and Garcia on the other hand are a fantastic little act in AEW. Some of my favourites to watch right now. Itā€™s yetĀ another example of where NXT morphed into a main roster show and ultimately failed - thereā€™s no middle ground. Youā€™re either a main eventer or a worthless jobber everyone is conditioned to write off and ignore. AEW are really good at seeing the value and giving credibility to those lower-midcard, jobbers to the stars.

16 minutes ago, Statto said:

Malakai Black looked much better in those martial arts type shorts he wore vs Cody than he does in his little shiny trunks, IMO.

Oh God, no. I hated thoseĀ shorts. Looked like heā€™d forgotten his P.E. kit and had to wear whatever was in the lost property.

Shout out to that bloke offering CM Punk a beer. Most awkward fan moment since that lad tried to hug Bayley.

• Paid Members

I'm not much of a fan of Malaki Black at the best of times. This was one of the worst of times though. If his match with Cody is one end of the scale, then this was the other. Did nothing for me. To be honest, I don't think it'll have done anything for Black or Johnson either. Dustin will breathe some life back into him on Wednesday though.Ā 

The rest of the show was pretty damn good though. I hope to god they are going with Miro beating a valiant Kingston at All Out and then Kingston winning a rematch in New York.Ā 

The show closing match and angle was also very well done, good action, Punk improved the commentary, and they hyped the main event of the PPV well. Sting has been such a cool bastard lately that I even went and bough a t-shirt of his in the Labour Day sale that they have on.Ā 

Jericho and Henry seriously have to go from the commentary though. Henry, god love him, isn't even any good at the back stage interviewing. Which is a shame considering during his Hall of Pain run, I thought he was one of the best promo's of the decade.Ā 

I'm undecided on Black. I feel like they'll need to ensure he gets a steady stream of decent angles that actually go places, because he seems like the kind of guy whose whole kvlt gimmick could just be used as an end unto itself. That's what happened with Wyatt, essentially. He just came out and done his spooky bits all the time, it took precedence over any decent writing or sense of momentum with him, and we all stopped giving a toss.Ā 

The match this week wasn't quite agony, but it was just a whole load of nothing, dragged out as if they assumed every little nuance of it would get a hot crowd reaction.Ā 

• Paid Members

Very confusing that Black and Lee had a back and forth ten minute bad match instead of Black just absolutely murdering him in one minute. And Hayter isn't much of a bodyguard, she can't even beat Statlander in a handicap match. That backstage fight with Mox and the Japanese guy was pretty embarrassing, those blows were as light a s a feather. Kingston & Miro stuff and the main event and ending were all top stuff though.

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Shout out to that bloke offering CM Punk a beer. Most awkward fan moment since that lad tried to hug Bayley.

This made me laugh far more than it should! I mean, even if Punk wasn't straight edge why in the hell would he want to drink a complete strangers dregs šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

. That backstage fight with Mox and the Japanese guy was pretty embarrassing, those blows were as light a s a feather.Ā 

When was this? I skipped a few ads and didnā€™t see this. Canā€™t find it in the showe recap I read eitherĀ 

The Black situation is really odd. Cody put him over big time but since he's vanished it's like their weakening Black. You'd think they'd keep him as strong as possible before Cody gets his win back.Ā 

If it wasn't for the fact that Cody's probably booking it I'd think someone was taking the piss out of him.Ā