AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Andrade/Pac was an absolute cracker. A lesson to the rest of the roster on how to do a spot heavy match that also makes sense. Ending was shite though, no fucking way can I believe that getting hit on the back with an iPad is even particularly painful for anyone let alone strong enough to take out The Bastard. Good angle though as the Chavo stuff just isn't really working so glad to see AEW doing some course correction. I'm really hoping this story is building to a Pac/Andrade vs Lucha Bros match.

FITE have finally took out the need to skip the holding page whilst they’re on adverts! Little thing but was so annoying having to skip through every time they go to break, hopefully they’ll do the same for Dynamite moving forward 

They have done it once (maybe twice) before with episodes that are taped. Hopefully it’s something they’ll continue to do going forward and we just have to make do with episodes that are broadcast live.

It would be really annoying if you were to watch an episode from a year or so back and they still haven’t cut out all of that stuff.

Andrade/PAC was great and it not being on the PPV was a blessing in disguise. Had it been on there you’d have had 2 matches with screwy finishes (3 if you count what happened in Jericho/MJF). Granted back in the Attitude era days is was the style at the time to have loads of matches end that way, but AEW have done a great job of keeping them to a minimum to emphasise that winning & losing matters

39 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Andrade dumping Chavo...reckon this is an opening to bring in Ric Flair? Not sure how I would feel about that generally but the chance to have Andrade & Flair feuding with Darby & Sting is just too good to pass up.

Do they have a Dynamite in Horseman country coming up? Orlando was always a Horseman town wasn’t it? They’re there in mid-October.
Have Flair there just doing an in ring and ask Sting to the ring. Crowd goes wild, Andrade comes out, Flair turns on Sting one more time, Darby makes the save. Andrade v Darby at Full Gear with Flair and Sting in the corners

• Paid Members

The year is 2024. Andrade has had thirty seven managers in his AEW career thus far.

I don't know if he's doing it on purpose or if it'll lead to anything, but it really makes me happy the way Adam Cole never mentions Gallows and Anderson when talking about how great The Elite are. Fingers crossed it's a sign of them eventually vanishing forever.

Really easy show to watch. I'd pay double for my AEW subscription with FITE if every On Demand show had the advert breaks removed like this one did.

The amount of talent in this company now, I'm hoping they do a huge Title Eliminator Tournament to face Omega at Full Gear. Adam Page wins. And then knocks Kenny's head off.

Edited by Supremo

Really good showing for Andrade, really well paced and executed, totally different from the stuttery overstuffed Sydal match. Speaking of stuttery and overstuffed, good riddance to Chavo - he added nothing to the act beyond legacy name value. The fact that Jose attempted the distraction, unseen by Andrade, then ratted out Chavo for interfering, muddied the ending a little bit, especially with Andrade apparently wanting a clean win but happy to feed Chavo to the wolves based on his other man's word. There's a lot of ideas swimming around Andrade, from the tranquilo styles to the Face of Latinos to the Black Mask attire, but it's not really gelling yet. His best character stuff in AEW was as the quiet bilingual superstar with an interpreter, so I hope they return to that more in future.

Pretaped and in-ring promos were short and sweet. I'm finding Danielson a bit smug at the moment.

Hayter is crap. For as much as they push how strong she is, beyond an Irish Curse backbreajer, she wrestles exactly like Rebel, with the added wince-inducing factor of apparently being unable to protect herself. Last time, it was her dead weight splat taking Velvet's tope, and this week it was taking Riho's 619 straight across the nose. Statlander (who hasn't got anywhere near enough credit for having Britt's best match as champion so far) plays the powerhouse much better. I'm not as familiar with Ruby Soho as others here, and I'm still yet to be won over. Her music fits her look but not her personality or demeanour, and she's not had her big AEW showcase match yet.

Main event was a decent hometown feelgood TV main. I liked Bowens cutting off Caster but adding how he was on thin ice. Caster's tights are hilariously shit. Pillman is still green and was clearly a bit overawed, but he stuck the ending and the Cincinatti hometown boys ending was cool.

The show still feels inessential so I might start just checking results to see if any matches look interesting, or if anyone on here bigs up particular angles enough to convince me to check them out. It's an easy watch Saturday morning over coffee, though.

1 hour ago, CavemanLynn said:

I'm not as familiar with Ruby Soho as others here, and I'm still yet to be won over. Her music fits her look but not her personality or demeanour, and she's not had her big AEW showcase match yet.

I hope she can deliver. I've always felt like she's more in a Natalya mould where everyone in the industry likes her and respects her but she's more beneficial in making others look good rather than being the one on top. It'll be interesting to see what her ceiling is in AEW but the division definitely needs more solid talents like her. Just not sure where she fits in long term beyond the initial excitement.

3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Andrade dumping Chavo...reckon this is an opening to bring in Ric Flair? Not sure how I would feel about that generally but the chance to have Andrade & Flair feuding with Darby & Sting is just too good to pass up.

God, I never even thought of that, but that seems like an astute prediction. Like you, I’ve no idea how I feel about that. At face value, they don’t seem like a particularly good fit. I think they’d be better off doing pre-shot, subtitled interviews with Andrade. I thought that worked really well, I don’t know why they didn’t make it a regular thing.

Ruby's music is insanely catchy but I'll always have a chuckle at it because my mind just hears it as "Labada bradabalabadada Rubehrubehrubeh Ruby Soho". It's the SNL sketch on punk rock. 

Hearing Flair talk over the past couple of years and eh... he has zero to offer onscreen outside of just being Flair.

But yeah that was a really fun little show, adored the spotfest opener. Is Pillman Jr a little... thick? Whenever he opens his mouth there just seems like there is something off with him.