AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

I never used to cry at anything until I had kids. Now I cry at everything. Can’t even hear the word, “cheeseburgers,” without getting a lump in my throat thinking about Avengers Endgame. I didn’t cry watching CM Punk last night but more power to anyone who did. It was fucking brilliant and I’ve watched it at least fifty times since.

The craziest thing to think about is that unlike in WWE, where it’s all downhill after the big return or big debut, in AEW nobody on the roster has peaked on their first night in. Everyone has grew and developed and improved. It’s mental thinking where they could take this momentum next.

20 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I never used to cry at anything until I had kids. Now I cry at everything. Can’t even hear the word, “cheeseburgers,” without getting a lump in my throat thinking about Avengers Endgame. I didn’t cry watching CM Punk last night but more power to anyone who did. It was fucking brilliant and I’ve watched it at least fifty times since.

The craziest thing to think about is that unlike in WWE, where it’s all downhill after the big return or big debut, in AEW nobody on the roster has peaked on their first night in. Everyone has grew and developed and improved. It’s mental thinking where they could take this momentum next.

Another thing is, I don’t for one second think AEW are going to make that fan a figure of ridicule. I don’t imagine Tony Khan et al were sat backstage pissing themselves laughing at him, either.

AEW, in a weird way, has captured that mythical ECW ethos - which no one who has actually tried to capture it has managed before - where it feels like a big community that we’re all allowed to say we’re a part of.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

I can’t imagine crying at wrestling as the whole thing is so absurd, but I think the memes and bullying of that guy that did is pretty scummy. If you can have an emotional connection with something that makes you that happy, however absurd it is, then that’s cool and we should all hope to feel that way about something in our lives at some point.

Edited by Yakashi

I think this is the longest the forum has ever gone when talking about crying without someone mentioning Mother Simpson or Jurassic Bark.

I’ll admit, when I saw it this morning I was thinking “oh come off it mate”, but who I am to tell someone how they should be feeling or how they should react

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I hear, see and talk through some awful stuff in work which I've to sort of put in a box and leave there in order to get through each day. So consequently, I blubber at the slightest heart wrenching moment on screen. I wept at a part of that mediocre new Matt Damon film 'Stillwater' in the cinema the other week even!

I didn't cry with Punk last night, but definitely had the goosebumps/hair standing up feeling. Not had that since Rock came back in 2011 I think. I've a feeling Punk's comeback will be a lot more satisfying than Rocks run that time too!

@Tsurutagun hit the nail on the head talking about that camera shot. Fucking unbelieveable work. Even the arse of the ground cameraman working its way to Punk's side didn't ruin it. Beautifully shot.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned with everybody rightfully and joyfully taking in the moment - if I was Hangman Page watching that last night, my palms get a little sweaty. If Punk is a difference maker, if Punk truly helps change the landscape in the next couple of months with ratings, ticket sales and pay-per-views, I can absolutely see the possibility of Punk taking the top face mantle and beating Omega for the title. Watch the media scrum with Punk and Tony, and you'll see a body language and personal chemistry that indicates that Tony has his guy. Granted, it might just be prisoner of the moment reactions and thinking on my part...but isn't that nice to have again? 

I just hope Hangman fits since, you know...Bryan Danielson is still to come.

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

47 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

I can’t imagine crying at wrestling as the whole thing is so absurd, but I think the memes and bullying of that guy that did is pretty scummy. If you can have an emotional connection with something that makes you that happy, however absurd it is, then that’s cool and we should all hope to feel that way about something in our lives at some point.

I don't see it as any more absurd than other forms of entertainment. I guess it depends if you get emotional at TV shows and movies on the whole or not. I know a lot of people don't.

• Paid Members

If anything, I can understand people crying at pro-wrestling more than your regular TV show or movie for the absurd way in which it’s mixed with reality. This wasn’t just a TV character returning. This was a very real man who looked close to having a very real mental and physical breakdown last time we saw him. Seeing him come back happy and healthy was great.

I don’t think Hangman has anything to worry about. Seeing how huge this is though, I do think they were right to cool him down for the time being. Never thought I’d ever say that but he would’ve been dwarfed by this moment.

Still should’ve saved the big cowboy entrance until he was definitely going all the way, though.

Edited by Supremo

I always thought it was so sad that CM Punk, life long pro wrestling fan, got to achieve his dreams and make it to the very top of WWE and it was in fact achieving that dream which just sapped his love of pro wrestling away from him. I would be absolutely gutted if I ever reached that point in my life, as I’m sure many others on here would too. It’s fucking brilliant that CM Punk has seemingly found his love for professional wrestling again.

I’ve rewatched the whole Punk thing multiple times now and I honestly think the best bit of the promo is him standing up and saying “I’m back.” Saying so little but it is saying a lot. Listen to the pop after he’s said it. I’ve gotten chills, goosebumps everytime. 

I am a very casual AEW fan. Check results and watch the matches which I like the sound of. This has dragged me right in now. AEW Plus has been purchased on Fite. I don’t want to miss a second of this. I’m sure there are thousands of others just like me. 

Honestly, AEW have played an absolute blinder and last night was *perfect*

• Paid Members

I wouldn't feel comfortable taking the piss out of that chap crying, he didn't know he was on camera so was a genuine reaction. I would, however, take the piss out of that Brock Lesnar Guy trying his hardest to get a reaction from Punk while Punk was hugging the guy right at the side of him and Punk just ignoring him. 

10 minutes ago, Nick James said:

I wouldn't feel comfortable taking the piss out of that chap crying, he didn't know he was on camera so was a genuine reaction. I would, however, take the piss out of that Brock Lesnar Guy trying his hardest to get a reaction from Punk while Punk was hugging the guy right at the side of him and Punk just ignoring him. 

Unfortunately, the guy next to him that Punk was hugging was his fellow uber-wanker, Frank the Clown.

4 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Unfortunately, the guy next to him that Punk was hugging was his fellow uber-wanker, Frank the Clown.

How's it work for people like them? I assume they now know people in the company allowing them to get decent tickets all the time?