AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

I've seen some people say they are subscribing to AEW+ for last nights Rampage, Wednesdays Dynamite and then cancelling.......madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd cancel Netflix before I cancel AEW+ on Fite - the value is incredible. Could any true wrestling fan cancel after THAT!?

37 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

I've seen some people say they are subscribing to AEW+ for last nights Rampage, Wednesdays Dynamite and then cancelling.......madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd cancel Netflix before I cancel AEW+ on Fite - the value is incredible. Could any true wrestling fan cancel after THAT!?

I don't know why anyone would do that. 8 live shows a month for under a fiver is an absolute steal. I tag mine onto my monthly phone contract so i don't even notice it.

40 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

I mean the "value" vs Netflix isn't really comparable. I can see why a lot of people don't want so many subscription services in their lives. But I'm sure quite a few will stick around after their free trials.

The only bad thing was when the music hit, some twat in the crowd screaming OH MY GOD into the camera desperately trying to be a reaction meme, totally unnatural. Unlike Punk, I don’t think he has ever looked so happy!  Yeah that was one of those decade defining moments we hardly ever get. 

1 hour ago, DEF said:

Holy shit that pop. I mean we all knew it was going to be huge but that was truly spectacular. My daughters face was tremendous when he walked out. Glorious stuff. At the end of the promo she turned to me and said 'I think CM Punk is my new favourite wrestler". Now that's a reaction right there.

His face was truly heartwarming. I was so bummed out when he left as it was quite clear WWE had crushed his love of wrestling and there is something so sad about that.

The promo was great. The fact he didn't talk about WWE was really smart and shows why he's so valuable on mic. Putting over Britt and Darby was class. It makes him even cooler and identifyable to this audience at the same time using his own cred to immediately try and help get get them over.

The ice cream was superb. WWE practically got a license to print money when he put that idea out there and they just outright ignored it. AEW works because it gives the audience what and it wants AND what it needs at the right time. Especially an audience that has been gaslit and broken by the company that should give them what they want and need.

When do ratings come in? I'm really intrigued at that. I expect Wednesday will be there biggest show to date.

Everything else was as good as I've come to expect. Jurassic Express are finally clicking for me as a team now Lucha is working as proper big man. (Obvs Jungle Boy was already tremendous) A year ago that match would have been a rushed mess of convoluted botched spots. They should be really chuffed with that.

Jade has all the potential in the world and whilst still green in the ring she has a tremendous grasp of who she is.

Mox was Mox in a cracking little 5 minuter.

If I had one sudo criticism its that I want more which is NEVER a bad thing. Brilliant stuff. Everyone needs to see this.

He definitely did talk about WWE. A lot. He just didn’t use those letters.

There are times in the past 15 years when it has sucked to be a wrestling fan but last night wrestling made me so happy

If anyone asks me why I like wrestling so much I will show them them Punks entrance. 15,000 people showing a man how much they love him and one man showing that love back. 

Also, that shot on the ramp with the fans behind him is the greatest camera shot in wrestling history. It's already my screensaver on my phone 

Also, those on twitter taking the piss out of the crying fan can do one. 

• Paid Members

It was perfect. Absolutely perfect. The way they hit his music without any pissing about. The way he alluded to WWE without it ever coming across as bitter. The way everything was geared towards pushing the new company and the new talent. The way they actually sold a match on pay per view. More than anything else though, just how happy he looked. How happy the commentators sounded. How happy everyone was. Fans fucking weeping. Him being on the verge of tears and then diving into the crowd. My God. Incredible.

Only time will tell what the ceiling is with AEW. It feels higher now than ever before, but whatever. Regardless of how big they eventually become, with each passing show it’s becoming clearer and clearer where WWE left the goal wide open. It’s got very little to do with who’s got the best wrestlers, who’s got the best interviews or who’s having the best matches. It boils down almost entirely to which show gives you a good time watching other people having a good time. Taz laughing his arse off at the line about ice cream bars and then immediately scoffing one on air. So, so great. A moment making me feel so happy and rewarded for watching used to be a rarity. In AEW, it’s just called a Wednesday or a Friday.

There’s a beautiful irony to a new company bursting on the scene and rather than just saying they put smiles on faces, they actually do it. Every week. And it keeps getting bigger and better. Amazing.

Does Aberdeen, Washington have an arena? I see no reason why they can’t do something similar for Danielson. Announce him without announcing him. It’s clearly fucking genius.

Edited by Supremo

2 minutes ago, Tsurutagun said:

Also, those on twitter taking the piss out of the crying fan can do one. 

One hundred fucking per cent.

I can be critical of people in wrestling crowds being overly emotional for the cameras or because they’re eejits, but last night was clearly very emotional.

The build up and anticipation of seeing the hometown hero (whose connection with his audience has always been different) alone is emotionally affecting. Couple that with the fact that no ones been out and interacting in these numbers for years, so I guarantee that room was emotionally more overwhelming than it would have been beforehand.

Also, Punks been gone a long, long time. For anyone in their early 30’s, in particular, that was your early 20’s hitting you square in the face. Imagine all that added context of the pandemic and the atmosphere in the room, and then you’re transported back a decade to a time when things may have been better or more hopeful or whatever.

That was prime crying material.

• Paid Members
Just now, Yakashi said:

He definitely did talk about WWE. A lot. He just didn’t use those letters.

Well obviously we all knew what he was talking about but that isn't the same thing as directly saying it. It was the best way to do it with putting over everything else rather turning it into crap insider shoot. It was far more positive for the company at the same time as being amusingly passive aggressive.

I cried at the end of a match a few years ago when the guy Ive considered my favourite since I got Into going to Scottish shows won a title. Only other time I can compare it to was crying at halftime at a Scotland vs Italy game as had built the moment up so much that it just overflowed each time. When it feels real and connected to a thing, it’s a feeling you can’t fake and I’m sure that guy was having the time of his life last night. Here’s to more times when wrestling connects so deeply again 

I watched this about 6am this morning. I've got Covid and woke up with a fever and a killer headache. I couldn't get back to sleep so stuck it on. What a pop. I got goosebumps and a little tear did flow. (I think that was a combination of the moment, tiredness and illness). Felt miles better by the end! 

23 minutes ago, Supremo said:

It was perfect. Absolutely perfect. The way they hit his music without any pissing about. The way he alluded to WWE without it ever coming across as bitter. The way everything was geared towards pushing the new company and the new talent. The way they actually sold a match on pay per view. More than anything else though, just how happy he looked. How happy the commentators sounded. How happy everyone was. Fans fucking weeping. Him being on the verge of tears and then diving into the crowd. My God. Incredible.

Only time will tell what the ceiling is with AEW. It feels higher now than ever before, but whatever. Regardless of how big they eventually become, with each passing show it’s becoming clearer and clearer where WWE left the goal wide open. It’s got very little to do with who’s got the best wrestlers, who’s got the best interviews or who’s having the best matches. It boils down almost entirely to which show gives you a good time watching other people having a good time. Taz laughing his arse off at the line about ice cream bars and then immediately scoffing one on air. So, so great. A moment making me feel so happy and rewarded for watching used to be a rarity. In AEW, it’s just called a Wednesday or a Friday.

There’s a beautiful irony to a new company bursting on the scene and rather just saying they put smiles on faces, they actually do it. Every week. And it keeps getting bigger and better. Amazing.

Does Aberdeen, Washington have an arena? I see no reason why they can’t do something similar for Danielson. Announce him without announcing him. It’s clearly fucking genius.

I think you’re right about a weak spot being exposed in WWE, but I think it’s more terminal than that. Or potentially terminal.

We, rightly, are living in an era that’s beginning to reject the excesses of predatory capitalism - we don’t like employees being treated as pawns in a game of ‘appease the shareholder’; we appreciate people need to prioritise their mental well-being. As a society we’re starting to wake up to the need to work in a healthy environment and to be valued as an equal by your employers.

Punk saying, essentially, that his mental health couldn’t survive working for WWE in that moment was really powerful and I think that’ll be what lasts.

AEW shows the industry can be a positive, somewhat progressive, inclusive place to work and thrive. WWE increasingly looks like they need massive top down, cultural change or they could suffer.

Theyll probably just continue firing people on their birthdays or weddings though.

29 minutes ago, Supremo said:

There’s a beautiful irony to a new company bursting on the scene and rather just saying they put smiles on faces, they actually do it. Every week. And it keeps getting bigger and better. Amazing.

The population of Aberdeen, Washington is less than the capacity of the United Center!