AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

5 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Or people are just allowed to have different opinions on Punk's importance in wrestling history. 

I’d argue it’s empirical fact that CM Punk is a bigger deal than Christian both now and throughout wrestling history - particularly as a singles attraction.

You can probably quantify that in money earned in contracts, viewership, time spent on top. Loads of different things I guess. Or you could just watch last night.

Not liking Punk is absolutely fine. To be the one lone voice today saying last night was fine and Punk is an equivalent signing to Christian - particularly after watching last night - isn’t an opinion. It’s being obstinate in the face of actual evidence.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

They've both come in alternating shades of jaundice over the years, although one of them tans for the privilege. That's about the best comparison I can go for right now. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Not liking Punk is absolutely fine. To be the one lone voice today saying last night was fine and Punk is an equivalent signing to Christian - particularly after watching last night - isn’t an opinion. It’s being obstinate in the face of actual evidence.

Nope, that is still very much an opinion, and my having a different opinion to yours need not impede your enjoyment. It's ok for people to have different perspectives. 

Edited by mim731

2 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Nope, that is still very much an opinion. 

It really isn’t.

Social media figures alone will tell you that last night was a bigger deal. ESPN have covered it, it’s been on SportsCenter. SportBible are running with it. It’s everywhere. It’s quantifiably already had a bigger impact than signing Christian.

But whatever. You’re being a pointless joy sucker.

If you saw last night and thought ‘same as Christian, this’ I genuinely feel sorry for you. Poor lamb.

I’m off to watch it again.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

I prefer Christian as both a wrestler and a person, and was chuffed to see him back on Impact this week.

But C'mon, that doesn't mean you can't acknowledge that all considered, Punk coming back is a much, much bigger deal and will be viewed as a massive coup for the company.

That absence and the mystique surrounding his much publicised departure, yet his fanbase never gave up on him. 

It would be ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

But whatever. You’re being a pointless joy sucker.

Again, my having a different perspective shouldn't impede your enjoyment. It's not even that I said it was shite, I just didn't think it was a triumph necessarily. I thought beyond the pop (which I stated made for a lovely moment) it wasn't necessarily mind-blowing, just fine. 

I think Christian is a better wrestler than Punk but post pipe bomb Punk was a bigger star than Christian had ever been or will ever be. Punk coming back is huge, mainly because most people didn’t ever think it would happen. Christian, a comedy wwe mid carder,  joining AEW to general indifference and disappointment isn’t comparable in any way.

Also, I’m glad Punk was happy. It seemed he really had the love sucked out of him after he quit. 

Just now, Yakashi said:

I think Christian is a better wrestler than Punk but post pipe bomb Punk was a bigger star than Christian had ever been or will ever be. Punk coming back is huge, mainly because most people didn’t ever think it would happen. Christian, a comedy wwe mid carder,  joining AEW to general indifference and disappointment isn’t comparable in any way.

Also, I’m glad Punk was happy. It seemed he really had the love sucked out of him after he quit. 

I think that’s what made it extra special. Punk was as happy to see them as they were him.

1 minute ago, Yakashi said:

I can't help but think of all the wrestlers watching that last night and seeing the genuine joy from Punk and the crowd and wanting to be a part of that. There must be so many in NXT and WWE that are now seriously thinking about their options. Who wouldn't want to be a part of something like that? There's a few that I'm sure are happy with their positions but many that are now thinking they could do a lot better.

The promo wasn't quite The Pipebomb I expected but it's been ten years since then and Punk has changed. 

But that pop, so loud that you couldn't hear Punk's Theme...wow.

Okay, I didn't have the goosebumps that Taz had but then again, I didn't stay up to watch it live, I just watched it on youtube.

Glad to see him back, glad to see that he's happy and I'll probably start watching AEW again.  

• Paid Members

Perfection. Didn’t think that sort of pop was possible in 2021. Glad they waited for a full house in Chicago. 

Mentioning Britt and Darby in his promo was a great touch - right out of the gate he’s highlighting two of AEW’s most prominent home-grown (in a manner of speaking) talents. The ice cream was another masterstroke from them. Simple, yet effective shit like that made the moment all the more special, and another fuck you to WWE. 

The key for how this moment is remembered though will be in the follow-up - although it doesn’t feel like it presently while everyone’s caught up in the hysteria, they need to capitalise on this and Punk needs to be able to hang in the ring. It’ll only take a couple of stinkers for the momentum to shift from delirious excitement to an all-time let down. 

But all signs point to good times ahead presently. Huge potential matchups across the board, not just physically but verbally - the Punk/MJF verbal exchanges could be phenomenal if they paired up. 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter