AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

I've got the entrance on again, it's insane stuff. The chants, the tears, the stage dive, goosebumps.

I echo the sentiments of pretty much everyone in here, but is that the loudest reaction any wrestler has ever had?

I've had Cult of Personality stuck in my head for 4 days, I don't think it's going away any time soon. 

• Paid Members

It’s almost pointless throwing my 2p in at this time. It’s pretty much all been said. 

As much as I do like him, I’m glad Tony Khan was nowhere need that introduction. The Pop when the music played, then when he came out. I don’t think we’ve heard that since WM X8 with Hogan/Rock.

I was never a massive Punk fan. But I’m sitting there, goosebumps and tears watching the crowd go absolutely bananas. My wife is just looking at me wondering if I’m having a breakdown. Promo was great, the look was great. Looked like he did when he left. Darby smirking after the match was announced. All of it. Perfection.

Jurassic Express and Private Party had a great match, blown SSP aside. Felt sorry for Cargill/Hogan probably being cut short, but was a good squash. And Mox/Garcia barely got started but the end with him, Kingston, Sting and Darby was a good close.

What an episode!

I was going to watch SmackDown when I got up but nope I just watched Rampage again and Punk's segment like 3 times. After being a fan for so long the "dream" scenarios are few and far between these days but that was one of them. And rarely do dreams come true like that.

I stopped watching AEW in April as the constant run-ins during matches & promos each week grated on me, but tuned in this morning to see Punk.

Its all been said, definitely an all-time great moment in wrestling history.

But I was startled at how much Moxley has aged since April.
Took me back to when I had a newborn. 

Chalk me up as another who doesn't really get Punk but appreciates that this is one of those moments which will go down in history. 

AEW played it perfectly. Going on first, allowing time to deliver a  shit hot promo whilst raising talent and establishing his next match, commentary only when necessary and giving the people what they want. It shits all over WWE and is night and day. 

Reminds me of 90s wrestling and it's exciting. 

Edit: Just caught the 'highlights' from smackdown. Christ. Chalk up another win for AEW.

Edited by Wideload90

1 hour ago, kamicazze said:

Plus does it pave the way for AJ Lee to join the women's division.

I fucking hope not. Has anyone missed her since she left?

Well that was a bit good wasn’t it.

Took a moment to click that JR was filling in for Jericho. Kayfabe it makes sense that Jericho is off selling, but I can’t say he was missed in the slightest. 
I love Mark Henry, but he talks waaay too slowly for the commentary booth. That interviewer role could become his quite easily while the 3 man team of Excalibur, Taz and JR (who seems to have really upped his game since they started touring again) would be my preferred choice

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Fantastic ovation for him. I haven't followed wrestling for well over a year and haven't been tempted to start watching, but Punk returning was always going to be a possible way back in. Was never a huge fan of his back in the indy days (aside from his feud VS Raven), but really enjoyed his WWE stint. Might start watching AEW now. I'm guessing Omega now looks like the top star he was meant to?

Question though- why on earth is Christian in such a prominent role? That's a booking with TNA stank right there. He's always been fine as a singles wrestler, but nothing more than that. The obsession with him has always struck me as one of the more bizarre fap fan fetishes. 

Also, how many fans did they have in attendance for Rampage? Do they regularly have decent crowds? Good for them, I really hope they start taking WWE down a peg to show them their constant shortcomings in recent years. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Also, how many fans did they have in attendance for Rampage? Do they regularly have decent crowds? Good for them, I really hope they start taking WWE down a peg to show them their constant shortcomings in recent years. 

They mentioned 15,000 on commentary. But yeah, most crowds they have are close to/sold out. They are smart aiming for slightly smaller venues then WWE do.

Most tv is in the 5-6k range, with some bigger shows doing 10k. Best thing is all the crowds seem to be there to have fun and it adds so much to each show they join in where needed 

• Paid Members

That was pretty special. For all the (fair) criticism of him not being a great babyface, that was pretty much a perfect babyface promo, complete with giving away ice cream bars. He looked absolutely bloody delighted to be there. Hopefully that'll continue. 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Do they regularly have decent crowds?

Usually around the 5,000-7,000 mark I believe with 10,000 for the bigger shows. This one was 15,000 and they're doing a big New York show in a few weeks which will be 17,000. The crowds are always absolutely red hot.

But yes, you absolutely should be watching AEW. It's great!

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Also, people need to stop pairing CM Punk with Christian. If you don’t see the difference between the two you’re being needlessly difficult or trying too hard.

Or people are just allowed to have different opinions on Punk's importance in wrestling history.