AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

Im excited for the excitement and happiness but couldn’t actually give a shit about Punk. I’d rather see him in AEW than WWE for sure, but I can’t pretend to care about someone that did nothing for me before just because they’re in AEW. But even if I don’t care about him, the crowd will make it such a great moment. Not sure I can stomach getting up at 3am for this with two young kids, but it will be the first thing I do Saturday morning for sure  

I'm more excited about Bryan coming in because of the potential matches & to see what he's like without WWE scripts and the like, but will be cool to see the pop for Punk all the same.

What's the best way to watch this live?

• Paid Members

I'm going to have trouble sleeping tonight I can tell. Seriously psyched for this. I've manged to keep quiet about Punk with my daughter. She's 11 so doesn't remember much of him being active but he was easily her favourite back in her early days.

We watched the WWE doc on him to jog her memory a couple of weeks ago. She's going to lose it when he turns up. As I've mentioned she loves AEW nearly as much as me so this is going to be something special.

Re Punk I've always really liked him. His promos and character work were always my bag. He's a good babyface but a brilliant heel. I've always thought of him as perfectly serviceable in ring but slightly overrated. But let's be honest the that's probably the least important thing about a wrestler. 

4 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

To be fair I have absolutely zero interest in him as a babyface but there’s all kinds of interesting things he can do as a heel. Can’t see him and Bryan both being babyface at the same time either

Punk was always a tough sell as a babyface I think. He strikes me as a smug twat in real life, which is why, I think, he is a far better heel.

57 minutes ago, DEF said:

I'm going to have trouble sleeping tonight I can tell. Seriously psyched for this. I've manged to keep quiet about Punk with my daughter. She's 11 so doesn't remember much of him being active but he was easily her favourite back in her early days.

We watched the WWE doc on him to jog her memory a couple of weeks ago. She's going to lose it when he turns up. As I've mentioned she loves AEW nearly as much as me so this is going to be something special.

This really made me smile.

How does everyone see this playing out, should it happen?

Route 1 seems to make the most sense. Darby Allin and Sting come out, challenge the ‘best in the world’ only to get Omega and The Young Bucks. They heel it up a bit, situation threatens to go sidewards. Cult of Personality hits, out comes CM Punk and the three lone wolves run off the heels. Show ends with them standing in the run.

Maybe let Punk try a GTS on Omega only for the Bucks to pull him off and run away.

I wouldn’t give away any real physicality or a promo. Maybe a promo to the live crowd, but not sure he has to do anything but turn up for TV.

1 hour ago, DEF said:

Re Punk I've always really liked him. His promos and character work were always my bag. He's a good babyface but a brilliant heel. I've always thought of him as perfectly serviceable in ring but slightly overrated. But let's be honest the that's probably the least important thing about a wrestler. 

I just rewatched his WWE documentary this week. Always find it quite inspiring if I'm at a low point. 

• Paid Members

I love the documentary except for the beginning where he bangs on about how much of an outsider he was as a kid because he listened to punk and dyed his hair red or whatever. Proper poser shit. CM Punk is definitely not punk. 

27 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

How does everyone see this playing out, should it happen?

Route 1 seems to make the most sense. Darby Allin and Sting come out, challenge the ‘best in the world’ only to get Omega and The Young Bucks. They heel it up a bit, situation threatens to go sidewards. Cult of Personality hits, out comes CM Punk and the three lone wolves run off the heels. Show ends with them standing in the run.

Maybe let Punk try a GTS on Omega only for the Bucks to pull him off and run away.

I wouldn’t give away any real physicality or a promo. Maybe a promo to the live crowd, but not sure he has to do anything but turn up for TV.

I think Punk is the first segment. They are on at 10pm, just after Smackdown. The card looks weak.....I wonder if his reveal is segment one, shenanigans ensue, the card is shuffled and he ends up in a tag match in the main event.....so the fans just don't get to see him, but he also wrestles a tag match to ease him back in. He probably needs a few warm up matches ahead of All Out.