AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

Half of Twitter would have heard the announcers say who it was. So if they thought it was Becky when the name was said and repeated, it’s hardly aew fault. It’s nitpicking for nitpicking sake that this is getting so much focus from this debut show 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Louch said:

Half of Twitter would have heard the announcers say who it was. So if they thought it was Becky when the name was said and repeated, it’s hardly aew fault. It’s nitpicking for nitpicking sake that this is getting so much focus from this debut show 

As the old saying goes, they don't remember the matches. It's because it was the closing angle and confusing. Don't get me wrong I'm with you. It doesn't hurt the show in my view but also in a world where the entire fan base thinks they know how a show should be booked I can see why they got hung up on it. 

I enjoyed it. The commentary was crap but WWE conditioned me a long time ago to ignore it. It's only really stark because other than JR 75% of the time all 3 of their other shows have great commentary.

At first I was against Christian winning but it gives Kenny SO much more potential character development as a heel buy also when you think about it Page winning isn't about overcoming Kenny. It's about overcoming his own insecurities by winning the big one.

Britt is superb. No idea why they didn't book her against a heel though. The crowd was so pro Baker that it felt like it hurt Red Velvet.

I'd also like orange ropes. Just to set it apart a bit. 

No idea why folk want to rush Miro into a programme. He could murder fools every week in 5 mins for another year solid and he'd be no less entertaining or frightening.

• Paid Members

I think the picking apart of some of these intricacies is a positive sign. They're doing really well in general, so many characters to like, so many matches to look forward, big potential debuts coming up, three huge shows on the horizon and sensible week to week booking. Tiny things in the big picture being ripped apart shouldn't worry them.

19 minutes ago, DEF said:

I'd also like orange ropes. Just to set it apart a bit. 

I was excited to see if they'd make if different. I guess it doesn't have to be too different, it's not like WWE were they are supposed to be separate entities. It's just more fun if it does. I'd really like a change of ropes and canvas but I get it's expense for little benefit. 

19 minutes ago, DEF said:

Britt is superb. No idea why they didn't book her against a heel though. The crowd was so pro Baker that it felt like it hurt Red Velvet.

This is similar to the CM Punk deal with Darby Allin being the one to seemingly call him out. No traditional wrestling company is booking that given Punk is getting star reactions and Allin is popular. But they don't seem to care too much about stuff like that. It's not in a shit Russo way but just an acceptance that they'll both be stars and both still be incredibly popular the night after the match. That takes some getting used to. As does the thought of beating either one of them but they've recovered easily from stuff like that too.

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

This is similar to the CM Punk deal with Darby Allin being the one to seemingly call him out. No traditional wrestling company is booking that given Punk is getting star reactions and Allin is popular. But they don't seem to care too much about stuff like that. It's not in a shit Russo way but just an acceptance that they'll both be stars and both still be incredibly popular the night after the match. That takes some getting used to. As does the thought of beating either one of them but they've recovered easily from stuff like that too.

Yeah I guess it's more like Japan than traditional US booking in that regard. Beating someone doesn't mean hurting them in that regard. But I think the difference in the Allin and Punk match compared to Britt and Velvet is perception.

The core audience see Allin as just underneath Punk and are gagging to see it. Where as I think they have missjudged how over Red is if they are using the same logic.

If they use it to develop Red's character going forward then its all good but if they just move on I think it hurts her. Totally agree we aren't talking TNA/Russo damage here just a miss step that will need building again.

They could really do with another good heel in the womens division. Let's be honest Britt's at best a tweener at this point so another proper heel could really help. The fact that she's miles away from any other women on the roster doesn't help because you run into the issue that Red had with the audience.

Brilliant show but the finish was a car wreck. Baker and Stratlander could have just done a stand off and that was it, totally over booked with Baker remembering she is a heel, re-debut of a wrestler nobody remembers (for what it's worth i cant even remember her in AEW).

Actually makes me nervous for Punk's debut now, are they going to blow it by trying to squeeze to much in? Punk literally needs to come in and chase off a bad guy, that's it. Will they have him chase of a bad guy, set up Allin match and then somebody take him out setting up a future feud? 

13 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

Actually makes me nervous for Punk's debut now, are they going to blow it by trying to squeeze to much in? Punk literally needs to come in and chase off a bad guy, that's it.

They don’t even need to do that much. Just his music hitting and him coming out to the ramp will get the reaction before they end the show

Just now, WyattSheepMask said:

They don’t even need to do that much. Just his music hitting and him coming out to the ramp will get the reaction before they end the show

Do they end the show with him or start it? If they start they might get even more people tuning in for it. It'll be so tough having a show in front of a crowd that are just waiting for one thing. I don't know. I'm just excited for it regardless.

16 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Do they end the show with him or start it? If they start they might get even more people tuning in for it. It'll be so tough having a show in front of a crowd that are just waiting for one thing. I don't know. I'm just excited for it regardless.

Me and my mate had this discussion Saturday and my response was he has to finish the show. How could ANYBODY follow Punk debuting? As much as Al Snow grates on me with his philopshy of wrestling, he is right when he says a 'pop' is literally that, there's nothing else after that

They have sold a shit load of tickets for him coming in. He can’t just walk out and do nothing. If it was me, you do the bischoff appearing on raw, have him walk by a camera shot. You then have a break for social media to kick off and have everyone tune in, then you have him appear to the massive pop he will get. Pull apart with Darby, off we go to All Out 

I don't have much to say except I absolutely LOVED Christian vs Omega. They held enough back that I'm still excited at the prospect of another match, even if it doesn't quite take the sting away from missing out on a Hangman title win (though I'm remaining optimistic!).

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Louch said:

They have sold a shit load of tickets for him coming in. He can’t just walk out and do nothing. If it was me, you do the bischoff appearing on raw, have him walk by a camera shot. You then have a break for social media to kick off and have everyone tune in, then you have him appear to the massive pop he will get. Pull apart with Darby, off we go to All Out 

Episode starts with him coming out. Chicago fans go nuts for him. He stands there and basks in the cheers, which last about an hour. Episode ends.

I've only just realised that the United Centre is not the Allstate Arena. I just assumed they changed the name of the place and that it was the same building as Money in the Bank 2011 and a bunch of other PPVs but alas it is not. It's bigger, though. Hosted SummerSlam 1994 and more importantly the ch ch chosen one (wreeeeoww!) getting the big gold at Spring Stampede 2000. 

spacer.png