AEW Friday Night Rampage

Hannibal Scorch

It’s only a one hour show, there’s no need to put on straight away.

Hopefully the crowd don’t just chant for him all the way through the undercard, that’s not fair on what is mostly a roster very deserving of your attention. It’ll probably just be a 3 match show similar to last week, but that shouldn’t take away from whatever gets put on

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I don't think they can start the show with Punk, because where do they go from there?

They either tease Punk before an ad break, so everyone has time to get on social media and say "START WATCHING RAMPAGE NOW" or they build to it. Everyone chanting CM Punk all night isn't a bad thing at all if they deliver CM Punk at the end of it - if anything, that's ideal, particularly if they use it to plant seeds all through the night. Have it rattle The Elite, have the announcers pick up on it, do something to tease him showing up right before the final ad break - nothing as WWE as "a limo pulls in to the car park", but a shot of someone reacting backstage, or Punk's boots in the dressing room, something simple that. Have Darby Allin open the next segment of the show explicitly addressing the chants and calling Punk out - maybe not even by name, still doing the "Best In The World" thing. Don't speak his name until he actually shows up. 

It would be cheap, but I love the idea of Darby Allin calling someone out to face him, and it being answered by....not even MJF, or a heel on that level that would do it really obnoxiously, but just fucking Luther or someone. A real letdown. Then have Punk show up, give them the Go To Sleep, and stare out Darby. That way you get the horror movie thing of building anticipation, then doing a fake-out, then delivering just as people have got their guard down, but also it means the audience get to see Punk get physical without rushing him into a match or giving away his first physical interaction with a "proper" opponent. 

Edited by BomberPat

Of course the crowd will chant for him from the start, probably even do it all way through the Dark taping too

He's the reason it's close to being sold out, I do agree that they have to ride through it though and hopefully the action will make it stop for a bit.

He has to close the show though as nobody is following that afterwards.

Edited by The King of Old School

I think even in Chicago, AEW audiences are right-on enough to not chant his name right through entire segments and matches of people that they actually like and respect. Drip it out throughout the show. You want as many heart flutter moments from this as possible. A camera outside the building, some symbolic imagery worked in somewhere. The music should hit in the last segment. 

16 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I've only just realised that the United Centre is not the Allstate Arena. I just assumed they changed the name of the place and that it was the same building as Money in the Bank 2011 and a bunch of other PPVs but alas it is not. It's bigger, though. Hosted SummerSlam 1994 and more importantly the ch ch chosen one (wreeeeoww!) getting the big gold at Spring Stampede 2000. 

spacer.png

Yeah, United Centre is where The Bulls play as well as Punk’s beloved Chicago Blackhawks and is in Chicago itself. Allstate Arena, home the AHL’s Chicago Wolves and where WWE usually run, is in Rosemont about 20 miles away, meaning the hire is significantly cheaper as it’s not “downtown Chicago”.

To @Louch’s point about how they’ve sold a load of tickets & can’t just have him come out an do nothing- I feel as though it’s more of being able to say “I was there” rather than for anything he might do.

• Paid Members

Have him arrive at the start of the show outside the arena in a Ferrari flanked by security ala MJ, lean into the ‘First Dance’ aspect. He can even park next to the statue. Crowd can lose their shit there, then he can appear proper in the ring to close the show. 

#Fantasy Booking On#

My prediction is that after a short first match, Darby Allin comes out and says "enough of this bullshit, I came out here to face the best in the world. We know you're here... Get out now."

Out comes a heel, I'm imagining Ricky Starks for some reason, and says "you're right! I'm here! I'm the best in the world." Darby is obviously pissed and it all leads to a main event of Darby vs said heel. 

During the main, bullshit happens, DQ ending (rare for AEW) and as Team Taz goes a bit too far, cult of personality hits, and Punk comes down to fend off heels with GTS a plenty and both Darby and Punk secure the ring.

End with a stare down between Punk and Darby... Leave us wanting more for Dynamite.

Edited by andrew "the ref" coyne

Negatives:

Seriously, the same set up? Not surprised but really disappointed that they haven't done more to make Rampage feel different to Dynamite. 

The one thing that was different, the announcers, wasn't good. Four is too many, and it felt like Jericho's hyper commentary (while an interesting way to try and differentiate Rampage as the faster show) clashed with Henry's slower style. Still at least Jericho's enthusiastic I guess.

The ending just felt overly messy. The fans wanted to cheer Britt Baker so just let them. Doing a standoff with Kris Statlander is fine but Britt attacking Kris was never going to be booed and by the time Jamie Hayter came out the crowd response was more confused than anything. Just break it down into individual segments (stand off, Hayter hype video of her working hard in the gym, Britt insults Statlander and Kris goes after her, Hayter returns and steps in the way to protect the injured champion). 

Positives:

Omega vs. Christian was pretty good. I can't be arsed with Christian (I don't dislike watching him, I'm just largely apathetic) but the crowd are into him and this was a fun match. Appreciated Omega desperately scrambling away from the first Killswitch attempt after my criticisms of the Callis promo on Dynamite. 

The Fuego Del Sol hype video was great. They do a really good job of getting characters over. 

Loved the TNT title match. Very Heyman style booking. Kinda think that having Tony Khan just give Fuego a contract is a wasted opportunity to tell a longer story but it gave the fans another feel good moment which makes sense on a show like this. 

Glad to see the women's title match main event. They've got a real star in Britt. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Vamp said:

The Fuego Del Sol hype video was great. They do a really good job of getting characters over. 

Loved the TNT title match. Very Heyman style booking. Kinda think that having Tony Khan just give Fuego a contract is a wasted opportunity to tell a longer story but it gave the fans another feel good moment which makes sense on a show like this. 

It's a Story that has been on going for over a year, leading up to that exact moment

Hopefully we get Darby alone in the ring having just turfed Sky and Page then

"Owww Darbo looks like you could use a little help my man like maybe a tag team partner.

What's the matter don't you recognise me, i don't blame you for not teaming up with that miserable freak CM Punk but you never said nothing about the hippest cat in the land! Darbo, Baby, its me CM Love and I am coming to save the day, owww its clobbering time" 

Summer of love runs wild over summer of Cena.

Edited by rollthedice