Billie Kay and Mickie James released (+ others)

I Bent My Wookie

• Paid Members

The few tweets I've seen on this (including one from Sean Sapp) seems to think Braun's been released due to the large amount of money he was on when he signed his contact extension. I guess it does make sense that someone they were paying main event money too who's not really in that scene anymore and has had a few injuries not being worth the collateral.

But that alone is gonna bring up people speculating on a sale if they're trying to prove the company to be doing better financially projection wise.

• Paid Members

Zero interest in Braun Strowman. I had no interest in watching him when I watched WWE, and have no interest in watching him anywhere else.

Buddy Murphy and Aleister Black would be fun in AEW - Murphy's the kind of workhorse they like, but he's intense. And Black could be a main eventer there after a while. Although I could see both going to NJPW or Impact.

Lana's obviously going there, and that'll be fine. Ruby Riott seems like she'd be a good call for AEW as well. I don't know anything about Santana Garrett - she's had Impact links before?

• Paid Members

I think as Rick mentioned earlier, it seems like WWE are no longer afraid of releasing people under the fear of AEW signing them and more flooding the market. You only have to look at the replies in this thread for nearly every release being discussed to sign with AEW. 

I wouldn't add any of those names to the AEW roster, not even Black. AEW are firing on all cylinders at the moment and are ticking along nicely with their 'home grown' talent.

I don't think WWE will ever get sold while Vince is alive. After? Maybe. 

Some more surprising names, others not so. They fucked Strowman up years ago and, with him being on massive money and approaching 40, they probably thought he wasn't worth it long term. 

Can honestly see him doing well for himself in film and television, given his size and look. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, SaitoRyo said:

I don't think WWE will ever get sold while Vince is alive. After? Maybe.

Who of Paul and Steph would want to sell their lifetime's work? and to move onto what, especially where everything that the company's tried outside of wrestling has either fallen on its ass or made a little bank but had no real progress?

3 minutes ago, Nick James said:

I wouldn't add any of those names to the AEW roster, not even Black. AEW are firing on all cylinders at the moment and are ticking along nicely with their 'home grown' talent.

I think that’s partly down to AEW’s large roster - it’s so easy for them to keep things feeling fresh. I wouldn’t object to any of these signings, but I wouldn’t object to AEW leaving them be either; especially when people like Samoa Joe and (potentially) Daniel Bryan are available.

Everything WWE do these days is apparently a sign that they're about to sell the company according to the internet.

Releasing a bunch of wrestlers? They're selling up! Stephanie McMahon off-loading a bunch of her WWE shares? They're about to sell up! Selling the Network to Peacock? They're about to sell up!

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Releasing a bunch of wrestlers? They're selling up! Stephanie McMahon off-loading a bunch of her WWE shares? They're about to sell up! Selling the Network to Peacock? They're about to sell up!

I see your point, but in fairness, those are all things WWE might well logically do if Vince was looking to sell the company, or at least make it a more attractive offering to potential bidders.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Didn't they just bring Zelina Vega back into the fold?

According to Meltzer today when asked this question on Twitter, no.

29 minutes ago, seph said:

Who of Paul and Steph would want to sell their lifetime's work? and to move onto what, especially where everything that the company's tried outside of wrestling has either fallen on its ass or made a little bank but had no real progress?

I heard the theory recently that THE greatest accomplishment Vince could claim as a businessman is selling a company he built from a regional territory into a global, publicly traded, hugely profitable, multi-media empire. It is the ultimate success story from a business perspective. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Snitsky's back acne said:

I heard the theory recently that THE greatest accomplishment Vince could claim as a businessman is selling a company he built from a regional territory into a global, publicly traded, hugely profitable, multi-media empire. It is the ultimate success story from a business perspective. 

Undoutably. But I do not believe he has the conviction to walk away of his own volition, and as above this is the *only* thing he's objectively good at.