Billie Kay and Mickie James released (+ others)

I Bent My Wookie

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

I said originally, the biggest thing WWE could do to harm AEW is flood the market and hope they eat themselves creatively, financially or both. Hopefully they're selective about who they take, when and what they do with them. I'm not sure I'd touch any of these lot initially. Bigger fish to fry.

Aye, three shows (with a fourth plus a channel move) with already with enough talent for all of them has to calm things down in that aspect. I'd take Ruby and Aleister now, and throw some teasers for Brawn when all of the current Big Lads have run their gamut with eachother.

5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Standout big man? If there is one thing AEW doesn't need it is that with the likes of Wardlow, Cage, Lance Archer already. Riott is a good shout. Lana obviously and both Black and Murphy are good in ring but I could see them more going to Impact then AEW where they can stand out more.

Cage is only 6ft tall, Wardlow is 6”3 - Archer is the same height as Strowman, so I’ll give you that. But because of his height and build, Strowman would stand out physically in AEW. Given the in ring skills of the people he’d be working with, Strowman, for me, would be an intriguing addition. He wouldn’t be hamstrung by the WWE vision of how a big man should wrestle, so we’d also get to see how much more he has to offer in that respect.

Ultimately, if AEW wants any of these wrestlers, they’ll most likely get them. I’d be very surprised if Black didn’t end up there. I’m not so sure about Murphy. I’m not sure he has anything to offer that they don’t already have. 

• Paid Members

I don't see Strowman going to AEW. I see him opening a gym and hawking supplements, doing the podcast and interview circuit as a right-wing loon, and not taking any wrestling bookings for a few years because he won't work for anything less than WWE main event money.

Everyone else on that list there's a pretty clear forward path for - Aleister Black and Ruby Riott are both huge signings for just about anywhere, Buddy Murphy could easily go and remind people he's good with a run in NJPW or wherever, Lana could easily either walk into AEW as Miro's manager or get a ton of opportunities outside of wrestling, while Santana's a dead cert to go to Impact. 

Convinced that Strowman's level if the world wasn't the way it is would be some SUPERSTARS OF AMERICAN SLAM WRESTLING tour as headliner. Boring, boring man with fuck all there, like watching a neighbour go about their day inside their own house from your own yard. Never seen it once with him.

• Paid Members

I’m in shock - what’s caused them to give up on Braun relatively soon after a run with one of the two world titles? Anyone?

So some reports Strowman may have wanted out to concentrate on his bodybuilding and strongman stuff. So that may explain that. As for the rest, feels very short notice. With Black about to start angles with Big E being especially prominent. Sean Ross Sapp (I think, can't find the tweet) suggests the only reason is to streamline for a sale down the road.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, bigfoote said:

So some reports Strowman may have wanted out to concentrate on his bodybuilding and strongman stuff. So that may explain that. As for the rest, feels very short notice. With Black about to start angles with Big E being especially prominent. Sean Ross Sapp (I think, can't find the tweet) suggests the only reason is to streamline for a sale down the road.

The WWE sold? In Vince's lifetime, at least? I can't see anything other than Vince being buried under the foundations of Titan Towers like Den Watts under the Vic.

12 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I don't see Strowman going to AEW. I see him opening a gym and hawking supplements, doing the podcast and interview circuit as a right-wing loon, and not taking any wrestling bookings for a few years because he won't work for anything less than WWE main event money.

I think that’s more likely than not what will happen. 

Ultimately, AEW will probably bring some of these wrestlers in. But in the grand scheme of things, they don’t actually need any of them. The most over wrestlers on Sunday were almost all wrestlers with no WWE background. AEW has a small army’s worth of up-and-coming talent worth getting excited about (The Acclaimed, Wardlow, Garrison/Pillman, Cargill, Ogogo and Red Velvet to name a few). The competition for TV time is already incredibly fierce.

2 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I think that’s more likely than not what will happen. 

Ultimately, AEW will probably bring some of these wrestlers in. But in the grand scheme of things, they don’t actually need any of them. The most over wrestlers on Sunday were almost all wrestlers with no WWE background. AEW has a small army’s worth of up-and-coming talent worth getting excited about (The Acclaimed, Wardlow, Garrison/Pillman, Cargill, Ogogo and Red Velvet to name a few). The competition for TV time is already incredibly fierce.

Yeah the more I watch the AEW PPVs with a 'hope' that some ex-WWE person might turn up, the more I realise just how well they've done to build up their own roster over time and not have to rely on cheap pops from released people. That's not to say there aren't some that I'd be interested in seeing but I actually think Tony's been pretty smart with his acquisitions - using them to get over the younger talent, or having them on commentary or backstage etc.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

the more I realise just how well they've done to build up their own roster over time and not have to rely on cheap pops from released people.

Show and Menry notwithstanding, provided that they're never used in-ring (or not for a good year or two)