The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, UKFF!

Just checking in to express my enjoyment of Big E winning the big belt. He got removed from next week’s UK shows a few weeks back and, as he was one of the main acts I was looking forward to seeing, I was a bit miffed/confused at the time as to why he was taken off the tour. Watching Raw this week answered why!

Great to see him on top of the mountain. I love New Day so much. 

Stacky! I thought Covid had taken you down. Bloody great to see you around again.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, UKFF!

Just checking in to express my enjoyment of Big E winning the big belt. He got removed from next week’s UK shows a few weeks back and, as he was one of the main acts I was looking forward to seeing, I was a bit miffed/confused at the time as to why he was taken off the tour. Watching Raw this week answered why!

Great to see him on top of the mountain. I love New Day so much. 

Business has just picked up!

• Paid Members

I'll preface this with how pleased I am to see Big E get his moment and how happy I am to see him with the belt. None of the below is about him.

Money in the Bank is the drizzling shits. Creatively, I think it might be the worst thing to ever happen to this company. It was a good idea. The original matches were fun and the first cash-in particularly brilliant. And for a couple of years they rode it and played off the concept and it's helped a couple of times. But it's been FIFTEEN years. And now they have to have a women's one too. So they are hamstrung twice every year by this dreadful gimmick that ran its course in 2010. There are two potential outcomes every year. A heel no-one cares about, let alone as World Champion, gets a run using the briefcase or a babyface gets it. Because they are creatively bankrupt, the faces do fuck all with the case, often get beat all the time because they don't need to win while they've got a guaranteed MOMENT coming up, and then win in a really unsatisfying way. (Apart from when they have even fewer ideas for the babyface than that so he loses the briefcase like a complete fucking loser)

Big E is the icing on the shit cake for me. No-one was more interested in the "Big E is getting a big push" newz than I was. No-one would be more invested in a story of Big E branching out on his own, finding himself as a single wrestler, overcoming adversity, beating people on his way up and eventually challenging for and winning the belt. That's not remotely what happened. He won the US title, good start, had that interminable feud with Crews for seven years in which he lost the belt and a million rematches, won the briefcase, did nothing bar pop up backstage in Heyman's interviews, then completely flipped to the other show and won the title on the first night after the brain-dead fuckers scripted MVP to suggest that he was scared of Reigns and Lesnar to cover the fact that they were panic booking (they also had him claim Randy Orton was "playing politics" to cover the other panic move, the big geniuses). It's just another really unsatisfactory "story" being told and I think that's a massive shame for Big E.

It stems from the fact that the safety they feel with the MITB gimmick has made them incredibly lazy in developing characters because they'll just use the cash-in to "elevate" them. They seem oblivious to the fact that almost everyone since Edge has gone back to their previous level as soon as they've had their run - sometimes during it. It would mean coming up with another PPV concept and not relying on the crutch but I really think it would better for them if they binned it and got away from the pretence that they can make a guy in one night so they don't have to try on all the others.

• Paid Members

It's not just that they're lazy about using the cash-in to elevate people - that whole bit about Big E being stuck in midcard purgatory before now is by design. They do it practically every year - someone wins Money In The Bank, and then disappears into PPV pre-shows and losing in the undercard, so that way it's more of a "shock" when they cash in and win. Except it means they cash in with zero momentum or credibility, and wearing the belt doesn't suddenly magically change all of that. It's the biggest example of booking for the highlight reel rather than the show, and of "wins and losses don't matter".

It's a tired gimmick, too. I don't see it ever going away, but I never want to see another magic briefcase again. Should have ended after Rollins cashed in at Wrestlemania against Reigns and Lesnar. 

Amen about MITB and the wasted opportunity of telling the story of Big E winning it. Granted, I don't watch WWE these days, but that would have brought me back in as I've felt for ages that he could be the face of the company. This feels cold (to me who doesn't watch but clearly there's those who do watch in this thread who'll feel differently). 

I was gonna say it feels like it'd be hard to take MITB away without fans feeling like it's something being taken away from them but I guess they did it with King of the Ring after 2002 which was fine.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

I was gonna say it feels like it'd be hard to take MITB away without fans feeling like it's something being taken away from them but I guess they did it with King of the Ring after 2002 which was fine.

I think that's an interesting point as part of the reason I think the MITB concept is here to stay is because they have positioned it as the 5th* "major" PPV which was the perception of KOTR when it was scrapped too.

I honestly don't know if MITB draws accordingly or not, but it was one they accompanied with a Takeover as a weekender pre-pandemic, one where Brock would work etc. They're doing it in a stadium next year, although that might be solely due to waiting to go back to the stadium in Vegas but Summerslam being too close to NFL pre-season dates?

*I'd actually say MITB is thought of more highly that Survivor Series in the company right now.

• Paid Members

The Money in the Bank would still have legs if they treated it more like the King of the Ring. Give it to your next hand-picked star, protect and push them, and then coronate them when they’re ready. The problem is that they view the big, surprise moment as more important than patiently building, which is why it’s always the same style of cash-in after months of the contract-holder either doing fuck all or losing all the time. 

The psychology of the surprise cash in when it’s a babyface is all over the shop, too. Like CM Punk before him, Big E’s reign is already handicapped by having a supposed heroic babyface snidely win the belt by attacking an already injured Champion. Hardly a babyface move really, is it? But then it goes back to the same reason as to why this company struggle with babyfaces at the best of times. It’s so clearly a company filled with backstabbers and snide pricks, doing whatever they can to get ahead and save their job, that they aren’t even aware of what makes for a good, wholesome character anymore. They’ll justify Big E’s cash in to themselves the same way their babyface announcers forever justify everything with, “BUT DON’T FORGET - IT’S LEGAL!” As if that’s the base level for everyone and good people couldn’t possibly have their own internal morality beyond, “fuck everything and fuck everyone, I’ll do anything to succeed provided it’s not illegal.” What a lovely working atmosphere it must be at Titan Towers.

Edited by Supremo

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, Supremo said:

What a lovely working atmosphere it must be at Titan Towers.

https://www.glassdoor.com.au/Reviews/Employee-Review-WWE-RVW16689407.htm

There are a number of reviews here that nail it perfectly for anyone thinking of joining this train wreck. When HR and Senior staffers have to post bogus reviews about the company in an effort to generate interest to attract candidates you should really think twice about joining. I’ve worked with some incompetent Human Resource people but never an entire department like the one I have here. They absolutely set a new standard for ineptitude that, in some ways, is magnificent to watch in the first person. One day I sat mystified, marveling at their buffoonery as they had a discussion with an employee who they caught lying on their resume about a prior job title and still couldn’t manage to terminate this person. Yet, they’ve RIF’d other more gifted colleagues since I’ve been here because someone in the organization didn’t like them for some petty, high-schoolish reason. This is not an HR group that will support you when you need it, so don’t really on it. Which ever reviewer posted about the turnover here is correct. In fact, I’d be inclined to say they were conservative at 40%, as it is off the charts. Let’s not forget the number of employees (wait, “contractors”) affiliated with this company who have tragically died over the last decade. And I don’t mean their careers metaphorically died, I mean they actually DIED. Unbelievable. The culture here is highly toxic. The employees that engage in the type of treatment of other people I’ve witnessed are despicable and should be embarrassed about their behavior. Accusations of sexism, racism, etc. are very real indeed. I work in a capacity that I touch about every department in the building and these are hands down some of the most unfriendly, unprofessional, immature people you will ever meet and during my first three months here people refused to even look me in the eye never mind offer the most basic of assistance. It is most definitely a CYA environment. Your entire skill set will atrophy while you are on this job, be it technical (systems are disgraceful) or interpersonal and you will undoubtedly regress taking nothing with you as you inevitably transition to whatever destination is next for you. Everything starts from the top down and the leadership is a joke. This trickles down through the ranks and inevitably infects the sycophants below making it impossible to respect and support incompetent leadership like that. Nepotism at its finest with this bunch. If Steffys last name wasn’t what it is she’d be unemployable as she struggles to form coherent thoughts or sentences during meetings and the CFO has no business heading the Finance organization (several former colleagues of his share the same opinion). Oh, and worst RUG ever! Seriously, pony up the extra few bucks and get that thing replaced. WWE is simply a family run, mom-and-pop shop masquerading as public company. If shareholders, the SEC, or even law enforcement ever found out about how this company is run or what goes on inside that building they’d be sued into third world poverty. My advice, don’t be collateral damage, stay away. Good luck.

• Paid Members

I'm not saying that's not legitimate or accurate, but what's the vetting process like for leaving a review on Glassdoor? I know last time I looked a few years ago, you could just claim to have worked for a company and you had to provide nothing to back that up. That has always made me suspicious about particularly vitriolic Glassdoor reviews for any company, simply because anyone can leave one regardless of the truth or any motive they may have, unless they've changed the process.