The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

13 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I like that they're giving Big E some big wins, but having Bobby Lashley lose clean two nights on the trot probably isn't the best way to heat him up for Goldberg, is it?

The "Bearcat" thing for Keith Lee is presumably a reference to Bearcat Wright from back in the '50s and '60s. Finger on the pulse of popular culture, as ever.

Precisely what it is, he was one of Keith's idols because of what he done in paving the way for African-American wrestlers back in the day, pretty cool nod to history. Great way to build him back up as well, have him kill the 24/7 crew (and Ricochet) every week or random jobbers then have him go after Priest or Nakamura for the midcard belts (like he did the NA Title in NXT) before setting him up against whoever is the WWE or Universal champion 

• Paid Members

I don't know if it's because I don't watch much or if he doesn't get a lot of solo promo time but I found that Big E promo really weird. He doesn't move. He's glued to the spot looking at the hard cam and then turns a bit and is glued to a spot looking at McIntyre. It's a dreadful example of what they teach. McIntyre isn't much better. Christ, his delivery is atrocious.

In fact, the promo work on this show was as bad as I've ever seen from them. Seth Rollins is the worst wrestling character I've ever seen, whatever he's supposed to be. He makes the Repo Man look like prime Steve Austin. The best promos, and by absolutely miles, were Roode and Ziggler. Jees.

What a weird draft format. Drafting people to shows they're already on. Moving the women's champions when they hold belts with the other shows name. Keeping people who've been feuding forever together. Very strange call ups too, like the Olympian Gable Steveson going straight up and someone like Ridge Holland of all people being called up.

Again, I only skipped through but unlike last week, I think if this had been 2 hours, it would still have been boring. 

Calling Steveson up to the main roster before he’s even had a match is about as dumb a move this company can make and that’s saying something 

They’ve at least freshened up the tag and women’s divisions which could be a good thing going forward as long as they give time to shine

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Calling Steveson up to the main roster before he’s even had a match is about as dumb a move this company can make and that’s saying something 

Is it though? From what i've seen, he is quite a hot topic in the States so getting his name out there now is quite a good move. He might die on his arse being thrown in the deep end, or he may turn his hand to it as good as Angle or Rousey did. 

Having him pissing about in NXT or the NXT house show circuit for a year while his name value dies down, is probably a worse decision. 

• Paid Members

The Steveson thing doesn't bug me so much. Angle had his first WWE match 8 months after he started training (of course a few matches in development too) but who's to say they haven't already started training him? He's the biggest name in amateur wrestling right now, the WWE are setting up a training site near his university to train him while he does his NCAA stuff and it'll garner some further press in the US.

Edited by Shy Dad
Auto correct is going to be a nightmare for Gables name

1 hour ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

They’ve at least freshened up the tag and women’s divisions which could be a good thing going forward as long as they give time to shine

It's not like they threw him out there on RAW against the champion in a 60 minute Iron Man match untrained or anything. That would be dumb.

What's smart is having a guy signed up that has huge name value at the moment and capitalising on that momentum - getting the headlines for the company, the show and the network.

Calling him up doesn't have to involve him appearing every week and having shit matches because he doesn't know what he's doing. It's just keeping his name out there.

It's notable that people say they'll stop watching Strictly every year after one of their favourites get eliminated and then ends up saying the same thing next year. 

Wrestling is dancing anyway to be honest. 

People also complain about the amount of time spent on anything other than the dancing. And the lame acting in the videos before the couples dance. And dodgy gimmicks/costumes and so on. And Anton has been pushed as a babyface for years despite the "real fans" disliking him.

Basically they're the same show. 

Although Strictly does put on a cracking live show. 

3 hours ago, Vamp said:

It's notable that people say they'll stop watching Strictly every year after one of their favourites get eliminated and then ends up saying the same thing next year. 

Wrestling is dancing anyway to be honest. 

People also complain about the amount of time spent on anything other than the dancing. And the lame acting in the videos before the couples dance. And dodgy gimmicks/costumes and so on. And Anton has been pushed as a babyface for years despite the "real fans" disliking him.

Basically they're the same show. 

Although Strictly does put on a cracking live show. 

Although, at least in the case of WWE, their TV ratings over the long-term would indicate lots of people and their friend Mark *have* stopped watching.

• Paid Members

At least they're using his real name and not calling him "Goldie Medals" or "Steve Gableson". Let him cut some promos, have him feud with somebody like Cesaro who can probably make him look like a million dollars, hell see whether they can coax Angle into dropping by to manage him or something. It's definitely something they can build on. 

BIG E looks quite small lately since they’ve been putting him in with the likes of Roman and Drew.

I hope they go full Kurt Angle gold medal gimmick with Gable Steveson but with this companies history we’ll be looking at a match soon with Chad Gable where the loser has to go by Shorty G.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

At least they're using his real name and not calling him "Goldie Medals" or "Steve Gableson". Let him cut some promos, have him feud with somebody like Cesaro who can probably make him look like a million dollars, hell see whether they can coax Angle into dropping by to manage him or something. It's definitely something they can build on. 

I felt compelled to log in and say that Goldie Medals is a fucking masterstroke!  I’m pissing myself laughing at that, bravo mate!

I’m really surprised at the lack of depth in the Smackdown main event scene, and it certainly seems ominous to the possibility of them focussing on the same feud for month. Outside of Reigns/McIntyre and perhaps Reigns/Hardy, I’m not really sure what they can do without seriously rebuilding some badly damaged wrestlers.

Edited by RedRooster