The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

1 hour ago, Perry said:

If I was set a challenge of either having to sit through a full episode of Raw or Strictly, I'd say bring on the dancing.   That's how shit I think WWE is right now.

Merge the two. Have Tess and Claudia commentate RAW. Celebs in tag team matches with their professional wrestler. Anton Du Beke as the ref. Craig Revel Horwood is the ultimate heel GM. Do a Bruce Forsyth memorial battle royal. 

KEEP WRESTLING

• Paid Members

I like that they're giving Big E some big wins, but having Bobby Lashley lose clean two nights on the trot probably isn't the best way to heat him up for Goldberg, is it?

The "Bearcat" thing for Keith Lee is presumably a reference to Bearcat Wright from back in the '50s and '60s. Finger on the pulse of popular culture, as ever.

Edited by BomberPat

36 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The biggest obstacle Raw has is what has been mentioned over and over again, length. It had some good matches, but some absolute dross to pad it out. Match wise, it was probably their best for a while, but it was impossible to watch live. I don't know why anyone would suffer through it rather then watching higlights or like @tiger_rick just watch on demand and skip through. There is so much nonsense which doesn't add anything ( 2 from last night was Riddle's backstage segment, 24/7 match) to the show. 

Also hilarious there were more extreme rules matches last night then there were on the PPV the night before. Still, at least Bearcat Lee is back

Yeah, I think this would have been a strong enough 2-hour show, but 3-hours is far too long, I could never watch this live. I skipped through it and found it entertaining enough, but for every good thing WWE does, there's something very off-putting. They just can't help themselves. The pumped-in crowd feels unnecessary, and the sudden camera cuts are still nauseating. Having said that, it's nice to see Big E getting not only a run with the belt, but some big wins, and I'm assuming we'll see Drew McIntyre challenge for the belt next week, although I also expect to see him move to Smackdown, so I think it'll be a "farewell" match more than anything else.  

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, boshealecta said:

Merge the two. Have Tess and Claudia commentate RAW. Celebs in tag team matches with their professional wrestler. Anton Du Beke as the ref. Craig Revel Horwood is the ultimate heel GM. Do a Bruce Forsyth memorial battle royal. 

KEEP WRESTLING

Does Bruce have any skeletons in his closet? 

1 hour ago, boshealecta said:

KEEP WRESTLING

Craig’s the best heel of the last 10 years. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The biggest obstacle Raw has is what has been mentioned over and over again, length.

I know why they do it and I know modern wrestling has passed me by but it's part of a wider problem of massive volume of content.

3 hrs of raw, 2 of Smackdown, 14 or 15 "ppvs" a year, 4 hour Summerslams and double that wrestlemanias, plus your nxt's on top.

I know why it's done but it's got to put a strain on creativity and increase repetition and filler not to mention fan burn out. Even at the height of my nerdy nobby no mates super fandom I'd have been killed by that much content.

3 hours is definitely a chore. Especially when they still can't manage to build characters and use vignettes etc. It's incredibly frustrating. 3 hours would be a bit easier if they actually utilised it in a positive manner. It doesn't have to be all rematches. When you see the stuff they put on YouTube and the Network etc it's so easy to get behind so much of the talent. I wish those things made TV because they'd do an infinitely better job of creating support than rematch 1001.

• Paid Members

I have to say that the standard of match was pretty decent for the most part last night with AJ/Riddle being particularly good. Drew really needs drafted because I can't see him getting the belt back so quickly and he can't afford another big loss surely? I get that wins/losses don't matter in WWE but he needs a winnable feud to stop himself becoming mid card. 

Is that the Cross Rhodes that Damien Priest is using as a finisher? 

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

3 hours is definitely a chore. Especially when they still can't manage to build characters and use vignettes etc. It's incredibly frustrating. 3 hours would be a bit easier if they actually utilised it in a positive manner. It doesn't have to be all rematches. When you see the stuff they put on YouTube and the Network etc it's so easy to get behind so much of the talent. I wish those things made TV because they'd do an infinitely better job of creating support than rematch 1001.

I've said something similar to this numerous times before but I've changed my mind. I just don't think it's true. The show would then have about 200 segments, most would be completely forgettable and featuring people no-one would care about. There's a way to do a three hour show occasionally and that's to build a PPV quality card like AEW did for Dynamite last week and WWE have done on occasion for special editions. That would require a complete change of mindset to cycle talent in and out a bit more in order to save big matches but it's possible. I just don't think it's ever going to be possible to do it every week and have the show be as entertaining as it's been at it's height without losing the other show or carrying and building a massive roster. None of those are things they are willing to do so it's just not going to improve.

I doubt it's true every week because they still have horrible tropes like the rematch hell, previous losses being completely disregarded and lack of any desire to protect the stars and potential stars they have but this could have been an excellent show in a 2 hour slot. Having a single version of the main event without making Big E "lose" before interference in the first one, shaving 30 mins or so combined off AJ/Riddle, the 6-man and Priest/Sheamus (or preferably just giving Priest a strong win over someone he hasn't beaten a hundred times) and losing the 24/7 shite and most of the pointless recaps and highlights completely would have given them a really tight, fast moving 2 hour show that you'd come out of seeing the focus on Big E and Priest as Champions, Kross, Garza and his mate and Keith Lee on the way up and it would feel like a completely different show. Instead, it's hard to remember half of the matches and segments and the lasting memory is of Drew McIntyre seemingly walking into being #1 contender in what feels like a massive retread and they've had him lose all the time. It really is crippling them.

• Paid Members

A three hour live show every week is unsustainable - even moreso when you're also having to manage two hours of Smackdown, however long NXT is, and so on.

The only way to make a three hour wrestling show every week manageable would be to completely restructure how wrestling TV works. A mixture of live and studio footage, archive content, and so on, so it's not just hour after hour of the same stuff. But WWE are never going to reinvent the wheel, and FOX and USA aren't paying top dollar for anything other than live content.

WWE is very much "let the wrestlers wrestle" to me these days. The matches themselves are the only time their programming resembles anything functional. Everything else is as bad and as pointless as ever now they can disregard the audience entirely.

Dunn being late on the 'boo!' button as the crowd erupted for Shayna Baszler destroying Eva Marie was hilariously inept. Gonna need to upgrade the equipment before the inevitable babyface Nia vs heel Becky feud. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Dunn being late on the 'boo!' button as the crowd erupted for Shayna Baszler destroying Eva Marie was hilariously inept. Gonna need to upgrade the equipment before the inevitable babyface Nia vs heel Becky feud. 

Having Shayna attack/injure the two most genuinely disliked women on the roster but apparently be the heel (per the sound sweetening) is an odd concept.

Particularly as she interrupted Eva Marie in the middle of being a heel to do it.